SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have just purchased a Volvo XC90 of 2016, which at the moment seems really nice.
But I noticed something that is preventing me from using the Navigation services. The Sensus has the maps for US but I need to replace them with Europe maps. I downloaded the maps in a USB (following the instruction in Volvo's official page) but when inserting the USB I keep getting a message like "Map data could not be read. Check USB and try again". Since the USB works correctly, I suppose the problem is because I am trying to upload maps from south east Europe, not from US.

How can I replace the US maps with Europe maps? Is there an easy way without having to go to a dealer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I do think there is an additional step and I'm not sure if dealers have to do it. We deal with it in reverse on Overseas Delivery cars. It's been awhile since we had one of those for some reason..... So my service advisor had to look it up and he'll get back to me. However, something had to get changed I know because if you look in the downloadable maps, it doesn't offer to download maps outside of the region. I'm just not sure if you can change it on your own or if you do have to get it hooked up to Volvos system. Will try to get an answer for you!

·
Registered
647 Posts
It will not work doing it yourself. To change from US to EU maps, the dealer should do a map region change using a master map (available with dealers only) downloaded on USB to overwrite the current map region. Once, they do that once, you should be able to do it yourself next times.

Please note this has nothing to do with changing the region of the car. There is a separate yet complicated procedure for this on Vida. Just so your dealer do not mix the two things and charge you more unnecessarily.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
It sounds like a problem with the format of the USB drive or the type of software you used to create it but I would assume you followed the instructions correctly. You may want to try formatting the USB drive (make sure it's a 64GB or larger capacity) and use the Volvo utility to format and create the maps image/files. Make sure the drive you use is completely erased before their app downloads the maps to the USB drive. The only thing on the drive should be the Volvo files after it's completed.

The Nav update process including changing the maps from one geography to another is totally doable by you.

Reactions: Ermond

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like a problem with the format of the USB drive or the type of software you used to create it but I would assume you followed the instructions correctly. You may want to try formatting the USB drive (make sure it's a 64GB or larger capacity) and use the Volvo utility to format and create the maps image/files. Make sure the drive you use is completely erased before their app downloads the maps to the USB drive. The only thing on the drive should be the Volvo files after it's completed.

The Nav update process including changing the maps from one geography to another is totally doable by you.
I had formatted the USB using exFAT (which was one of the recommended types by Volvo website) and the USB is 64GB. I have also checked the files using the Volvo software tool and it didn't show any errors. One thing that I can try though (although I am almost sure it won't work) is to download the full Europe map and retry again. Maybe that would replace the map of US with that of Europe, although following Nerd23's suggestion, I should go to Volvo dealer since they have the master map.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update:
I managed to replace the US maps to EU by myself :)

All I had to do to whoever would be in my shoes:
  1. Formatted a 64GB USB. I formatted it using NTFS file system, but I think it will work also with exFAT. The USB should be at least 64GB because the area maps are quite large
  2. Downloaded maps from Volvo official site in the already formatted USB. You need to download the maps for the whole area. In my case, I had to download using the Volvo software, the whole map of Europe (~52GB)
  3. As soon as the download finished, I inserted the USB in the Volvo. I was asked whether I was sure to replace the US maps to EU ones. As soon as I confirmed, the upload started to progress until it finished successfully. The whole installation took around 1 hour.
Thanks @VolvoUhu for confirming that the process is doable by me, without needing to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
An update:
I managed to replace the US maps to EU by myself :)

All I had to do to whoever would be in my shoes:
  1. Formatted a 64GB USB. I formatted it using NTFS file system, but I think it will work also with exFAT. The USB should be at least 64GB because the area maps are quite large
  2. Downloaded maps from Volvo official site in the already formatted USB. You need to download the maps for the whole area. In my case, I had to download using the Volvo software, the whole map of Europe (~52GB)
  3. As soon as the download finished, I inserted the USB in the Volvo. I was asked whether I was sure to replace the US maps to EU ones. As soon as I confirmed, the upload started to progress until it finished successfully. The whole installation took around 1 hour.
Thanks @VolvoUhu for confirming that the process is doable by me, without needing to go to the dealer.
Yes, I hadn't realized you hadn't downloaded the whole geography (Europe) - required to replace the existing one (North America). It has to replace the whole lot. I don't think you can have for example Mid-Atlantic Region with Benelux.

I'm glad you persevered! The next switch will be easier and I just love the fact Volvo makes it easy for owners to manage map data.

Reactions: ND40oz
1 - 8 of 8 Posts