SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed one of the rear seats so that our dog can get in from the opening of the door. He can no longer walk up the ramp to the rear compartment. He can step into the back seat area with one of the seats removed. Problem is that the AirBag Warning light has come on. Is there a way I can short out the electrical connector so that it thinks everything is ok? Otherwise it is telling me to seek out service immediately.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recently removed one of the rear seats
There is a explosive tensioner in each seat belt - if the air bags go off the seat belts tighten using a small explosive charge mounted to the belt reel, pulling the occupant back into the seat. Those wires go to the explosive charge. I don't know what the SRS module is looking for (resistance, capacitance?) So not sure how you could fool the SRS module.

After you put the seat back (or install your bypass//trick) A compatible scan tool may be needed to read the SRS code, then erase it to turn the SRS warning off - the warning usually won't go away by just replacing a component.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Would the same approach of adding the right amount of resistance in the proper pins for occupant detection and seatbelt use detection people reported success for middle 2nd row seat removal work? (sorry for the run-on sentence)

·
Registered
421 Posts
middle 2nd row seat removal work?
Is the seat belt for the center section of the 2nd row mounted in the left or right side seat back? ( it was in a 40/20/40 rear Volvo seat I had a while ago) If so you can remove the center back and not have a problem with SRS.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Is the seat belt for the center section of the 2nd row mounted in the left or right side seat back? ( it was in a 40/20/40 rear Volvo seat I had a while ago) If so you can remove the center back and not have a problem with SRS.
If I understand your question correctly;
the center 2nd row seat's seat belt has the latch on the bottom right side of it, with the shoulder strap coming from the upper left side (from the orientation when seated). But having said that, for any of the seats, the connector to the rest of the vehicle's circuitry will think something is amiss with either the occupant sensing system or the seat belt system.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If I understand your question correctly;
I found a xc90 rear seat picture - and yes there is a seat belt reel mounted in the center seat seat back in a xc90. So you would have the same problem, removing the center seat /back and disconnecting the seat belt reel in the center section should turn the light on also ( if there is an electrical connector) . A xc70 I had did not have a seat belt reel in the center seat back and was removable with no SRS problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts