SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any way to track the car after it arrives at the US port and cleared the customs? :confused:

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Everyone has that question :(

Apparently the answer is "Until it is on the truck, when the dealer can track, No."

Sorry.

The waiting is the hardest part, trust me.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Once a vehicle has been released from the shipper at the port, there is no way to track the daily status. An OSD unit becomes just like a dealer stock unit.
Port processing usually takes 7-10 days. Once a unit is COFT (cleared for trucking), it is treated just like a dealer stock unit. I usually get a call to let me know
when OSD units are COFT. From the time of the call, it is usually a couple of days and the vehicle arrives. Keep in mind that we are only @ 5 hrs from our port

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
One last detail: the car can be delayed a day or two if that particular Volvo store (and/or any neighboring stores) do not have enough cars to constitute a full load (usually 7 or 8 cars). A truck will not leave the port unless a full load is configured.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all replied... :)

But the wait is actually killing me now... Awwwww! :mad:

I have the same feeling before: when I watched my pregnant wife during the last week before my kid was born.

I know the car has been cleared at the port (from Wallenius Wilhelmsen web site)...

I just want to know when the car will be transported from the port to the dealer shop.
:(

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was amazed that I could track it on the ship literally every three minutes all the way across the ocean. But once it hit the final port, you get one update a few days later on released from Customs and that's the end. Dealer basically said "It'll be here when it gets here."

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I was amazed that I could track it on the ship literally every three minutes all the way across the ocean. But once it hit the final port, you get one update a few days later on released from Customs and that's the end. Dealer basically said "It'll be here when it gets here."
I so wanted to put one of those "personal trackers" on my car -- the kind used by hikers and pilots so they can be found when something happens. Then I could track it near-real-time since they use satellite phone technology. I just worry that the ROLO ship structure will physically block GPS and SAT Phone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I could see from the Wallenius tracking site that my car arrived at Pt Hueneme ("Y nee mee") on Aug 8, and my dealer called that day to confirm it. He also mentioned that he would be notified when it was placed on a truck, and that he has an ETA of late August (Olympia, WA). I haven't heard that it's been placed on a truck yet, but I estimated it would take 7-10 days to clear customs as others have mentioned. All I can say is shipping a car from Europe to the western U.S. is slow as molasses. Mostly because of the delay in getting loaded on the ship in the first place, and then clearing customs. I don't think they loaded my car on a ship until 2 1/2 weeks after we dropped it off. Then it hung around Europe for days, even changing ships in the U.K., before heading to the Panama Canal. I wonder if the new shipper will speed things up.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Splitshot,

Send me the type of car, last six of your VIN and your last name and I will tell you where your car is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
One additional question. Who handles the truck shipment from the port. It would seem that the dealer would be aware that a truck shipment is on the way and what vehicles are on the truck. The last bit of information I received was on August 15th and that my car was released to the manufacturer (from the EHHarms site). The sales rep at the dealer did not know the status of my car. Thought I would have had it by now.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
One additional question. Who handles the truck shipment from the port. It would seem that the dealer would be aware that a truck shipment is on the way and what vehicles are on the truck. The last bit of information I received was on August 15th and that my car was released to the manufacturer (from the EHHarms site). The sales rep at the dealer did not know the status of my car. Thought I would have had it by now.
It is not as easy to track an OSD car from the port to the retailer. It can still be done but it is not listed in the daily pipeline report they get regarding their regular inventory.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Who orders the truck and who decides to load the OSD on the truck? My car was released by customs on August 8th, released to the manufacturer on August 15th. It's a week and counting since then, why does it take more than a week to ship the car only a few hours away from Baltimore to Pittsburgh?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My car was released by customs on August 8th, released to the manufacturer on August 15th. It's a week and counting since then, why does it take more than a week to ship the car only a few hours away from Baltimore to Pittsburgh?
I feel your pain, mstak. If it's any consolation, it takes even longer for west coast deliveries. Mine will have taken about 12 weeks from the time we dropped it off in Gothenburg on June 12. Now my dealer says we should have received some kind of customs form that we don't have, and we are told that in order to drive the car off the lot we need the license, which requires the customs form. And "everyone just arrives to pick up their car with their state license" We are really rather bewildered.

Also, I'm sure some of you have experienced this: everyone asking you "When are you going to get your car? Why isn't it here yet? Is it here yet???" Sigh. "No. not yet".

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Who orders the truck and who decides to load the OSD on the truck? My car was released by customs on August 8th, released to the manufacturer on August 15th. It's a week and counting since then, why does it take more than a week to ship the car only a few hours away from Baltimore to Pittsburgh?
It takes at least a week to process the car through the Port, release it to the transporter who has to configure a full load (usually 7 or 8 cars) and then transport from Baltimore to Pittsburgh (usually a 2-day trip). A truck will NOT leave port unless it has a full load configured.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It has arrived. We pick up our S60 on Monday evening.

Just a bit of information for those still waiting.

Time frame - Car arrives at port on August 2; Clears customs on August 8; Released to Manufacturer on August 15th; Loaded on Truck on August 24th; Arrived at Dealer on August 24th, Delivered to me on August 27th. The first three steps can be followed on the HARMS website. I placed a call to Volvo Cars of America on August 24th and they were able to tell me that the car was loaded on the truck that morning. I found out that Volvo Cars of America handles shipment after the car is released to the Manufacturer. From what I was told, the dealer is not involved in any of the process. Bottom line is that tracking can be done for almost the whole journey except for the last couple of steps. A quick call to Volvo Cars of America can take care of the last couple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, so curious if mstak's timeframe is normal? 25 days from port arrival until pick up at dealer? Mine is scheduled to arrive in port tomorrow so wondering if I should still expect over 3 weeks until pickup. Port is about hour and half drive from dealer.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Wow, so curious if mstak's timeframe is normal? 25 days from port arrival until pick up at dealer? Mine is scheduled to arrive in port tomorrow so wondering if I should still expect over 3 weeks until pickup. Port is about hour and half drive from dealer.

It all differs based on where the car is headed, any issues with the car tha may have been discovered upon its arrival, type of load going to that retailer and/or its vicinity, etc.

And a retailer CAN track the the car from the port to its store, if they know how to do it. It is a "live" system much like tracking a regular car from the time it has been released the carrier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Based on other posts here, I don't feel too bad. Car arrived at port on 8/27, cleared customs and was released on 8/28. Picked up at dealer today (it was actually here yesterday but I was out of town) and was a holiday in the mix. Enjoyed the ride home today and looking forward to getting up to speed on all the bells and whistles. This is my first OSD purchase and while several learnings along the way I would have like to have known in advance, overall it has been a good experience.

·
Registered
2016 V60 p* white, 2017 V60 p* rebel blue
62 Posts
Mine also sat in Europe for ~ 3 weeks. The letter I got from Volvo said I should get the car Nov 8, but it made port yesterday (11/15). I was more patient my 1st time in 2004 (factory 10/22, received 12/6), perhaps because Volvo got my hopes up with the letter. I also didn't know about tracking then. FedEx gets things through customs in about an hour; why does it take something simple like a car take so many days?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Mine also sat in Europe for ~ 3 weeks. The letter I got from Volvo said I should get the car Nov 8, but it made port yesterday (11/15). I was more patient my 1st time in 2004 (factory 10/22, received 12/6), perhaps because Volvo got my hopes up with the letter. I also didn't know about tracking then. FedEx gets things through customs in about an hour; why does it take something simple like a car take so many days?
Don't forget the Hurricane Sandy and then the Northeaster that distrubpted operations on the east coast. Even if your car was scheduled for Georgia or a West Coast port, the ship might be waiting to get into the NJ/NY port -- or waiting for a full load for other ports (since the NJ/NY cars would have to wait).

FedEx deals in huge quanities of small packages. Volvo deals in low quantities (in comparison to FedEx) of very large and heavy packages (i.e., your car). I imagine the inspection requirements and methods are different. I can see a drug dog standing by the conveyor belt of FedEx packages but having to go out in the cold rainy weather to walk up and down rows of new cars.

Don't forget that ports are typically unionized and are independent of the shipper -- FedEx owns the "ship" (usually a plane) and the "dock" (their own buildings at the airport) with greatly reduced work rules.

Trust me, I understand the waiting is the hardest/worst part of OSD.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts