SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm getting ready to replace my Accessory Serpentine belt. I'm getting a little "squeal" when I first start the car. Since I'll be replacing the belt, is there a way I can check or test the pulley's so I can decide if they need to be replaced as well? I've read multiple post on how to do the belt change.

Thanks

2006 XC90 185K. First time Volvo owner.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Spin them by hand, if they feel rough or emit a noise then it is time for new ones. If there is any play either latterly or radially then it is time to replace them. The squeal is probably not an idler pulley, could be one of the other accessories. However if you have an oil leak on the front end of the engine (the end opposite of the transmission) then a little oil on the belt could be the source of the squeal, same is true for a small coolant leak, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks raymansean, I'll make sure the check the other accessories and the leaks as mentioned. I appreciate the tips.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you replace the belt yet?

I've sprayed a little PB blaster oil (wd40) on the tensioner flat pulley to flat side of belt(side with no ribs ) and my noise went away.

Does your belt have any cracks in it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts