SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

the angle gear is going to be off the car. Nothing wrong with it but I was thinking to take advantage and change the seals around shafts/axels.

The part numbers for the side ones is easy: 30735126.

But the part number for the one to the propeller shaft is not. There are two part numbers corresponding to the 4 part numbers for angle gears:
  • 9183891 Sealing for 8602919 angle gear
  • 30684243 Sealing for 8603809, 36000272, 36000340 angle gear

My angle gear was replaced once (sleeve failure) so just using the model year number may not be enough.

How do I found out what angle gear is on my car?

Also besides the seals, some fluid and a plug washer do I need other parts? There is an O-rings (977023) if I have to take out the big adjusting nut on the right side. Do I need to take that out to change the seal?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can contact a local Volvo parts dept and give them your VIN to find out what part was on your car as manfuactured.

I can tell you though that having done this research recently with hard confirmation across two Volvo dealers [Western MA and Southern CA] the Volvo V70 AWD line _including_ the 'R' as well the 'XC' and the XC90 V8 all use the same angle gear SKU # of "36000340". These being models that are either 5 spd. auto or 6 spd. manual, dealer confirmed to be good through 2008 (!).

And there is _no_ notation for there being an exception to this.

The seal kit that works for the above SKU are also same without regard to AWD model/variant.
There is a secondary SKU for the S60R/V70R 6 spd. auto but that is for just one model year being '06-07.

I came to learn all of this over the past 72 hrs. as following install of a replacement driveshaft [U-Joint failure] two weeks later my AG failed catastrophically.
Following a lot of leg work in research and calls I've come to discover the above information including confirmation of the part on my car actual.

Your car being same year and model variant as mine, odds are very good your AG is 36000340.
But to be absolutely sure, call any dealer and provide the parts dept. your full VIN # to learn the SKU as was installed OEM, and from there know which seal kit to use.

To my research 30684243 would be the correct seal kit.
I strongly encourage you though to double check for yourself as I've stated.

- Janq

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The only seal that will be different between R models is the one that is around the collar sleeve because there are variations in collar sleeves but not angle gears.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My angle gear is not the original so using the VIN number is not the sure way to find out. Luckily I found the papers for when the replacement was done in 2010 and the replacement installed is PN:36000340. For others reference here are the numbers on the casing: 30700027 on the right half, 30735296? (not very sure as the casting was not perfect) on the left side.

So I'm good. Thanks all for help. This forum is awesome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts