SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got our first reasonable snow here in MN and i was out driving and noticed when my front tires were slipping it didnt feel like my awd was kicking in. My dstc was on so I turned it off and still it didnt feel like there was any pull from my rear wheels. Is there an easy way to tell if they are not working Ex. put it on a lift and put it into gear? Also there are no service lights on my dash. Any ideas from the community??:confused:

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
So we got our first reasonable snow here in MN and i was out driving and noticed when my front tires were slipping it didnt feel like my awd was kicking in. My dstc was on so I turned it off and still it didnt feel like there was any pull from my rear wheels. Is there an easy way to tell if they are not working Ex. put it on a lift and put it into gear? Also there are no service lights on my dash. Any ideas from the community??:confused:
yeah put it on a lift and put it in drive. some people get a lot of torque steer or wheel spin from the front if the rears don't engage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So hypothetically, if my rear tires do not spin while its on a lift. my AWD is not working. and the most common reason why (from what ive read) is the angle gear is stripped?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The AWD system has a control unit with pump and a pressure temp sensor. The pressure/temp sensor is a high failure item and shuts down AWD system with no message on dash. You can see if the DEM (awd control unit) has codes very easily. With key on, engine running or not, depress READ button on end of left lever. Now with the read button held push and release the rear fog lamp button. The message display will read, "CHECKING DTC'S". If not then try the process again. Once it checks it will either read, "NO DTC'S IN VEHICLE" or "DTC'S IN VEHICLE". Now push the READ button to scroll through the acronyms for each module. The result will be one of three things: DTC in XXX where XXX is the three letters of module, XXX READY which means that module has no codes, or XXX CHECKING which means that module has no cides but its diagnostics are not complete. Some system on the car require driving at over some speed to do the checks or maybe even driving a distance or a few trips in the case of the ECM.
IF you get a response for DEM that shows DTC"S IN DEM then you have some issue where the DEM is shutting down and that disables AWD .
No DEM DTC'S and no AWD is usually the angle gear connector collar. You usually know when that fails initially but it can get quiet soon after faikure once it has finished chewing the remains of the splines.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The AWD system has a control unit with pump and a pressure temp sensor. The pressure/temp sensor is a high failure item and shuts down AWD system with no message on dash. You can see if the DEM (awd control unit) has codes very easily. With key on, engine running or not, depress READ button on end of left lever. Now with the read button held push and release the rear fog lamp button. The message display will read, "CHECKING DTC'S". If not then try the process again. Once it checks it will either read, "NO DTC'S IN VEHICLE" or "DTC'S IN VEHICLE". Now push the READ button to scroll through the acronyms for each module. The result will be one of three things: DTC in XXX where XXX is the three letters of module, XXX READY which means that module has no codes, or XXX CHECKING which means that module has no cides but its diagnostics are not complete. Some system on the car require driving at over some speed to do the checks or maybe even driving a distance or a few trips in the case of the ECM.
IF you get a response for DEM that shows DTC"S IN DEM then you have some issue where the DEM is shutting down and that disables AWD .
No DEM DTC'S and no AWD is usually the angle gear connector collar. You usually know when that fails initially but it can get quiet soon after faikure once it has finished chewing the remains of the splines.
Alright thank you ill go try this and post my results.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. so I yielded no results from this test. I pressed and released the rear fog button while holding down the read button and no menu popped up?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Cattle,

nice post, are there any other little tricks or events that can be posted on the display panel? I'm going to do that DTC check just to do it, was wondering if there were other checks or if that message display can display other messages (not always, just when cued to do so)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
if you can't spin your wheels in dry in first gear, your car is fine - this is assuming your engine is making the proper amount of power as it should. Do it with traction control off all the way if you've got an auto. With the 6 speed you can put the e-brake up one click, and romp on it in 2nd gear and it will spin.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you can't spin your wheels in dry in first gear, your car is fine - this is assuming your engine is making the proper amount of power as it should. Do it with traction control off all the way if you've got an auto. With the 6 speed you can put the e-brake up one click, and romp on it in 2nd gear and it will spin.
With my traction off in first gear. only my front tires spin. I know this because my fronts are near bald now and the rears are fine. but with dstc on im not sure. I am not even sure when the AWD function comes into play with these cars. : /

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
With my traction off in first gear. only my front tires spin. I know this because my fronts are near bald now and the rears are fine. but with dstc on im not sure. I am not even sure when the AWD function comes into play with these cars. : /
well sounds like you have no awd. when i had all my wheels off the ground and put it in drive they were all spinning. try it. i had my car up on jack stands.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
This check seems simple enough, but I could not get it to work. I tried several times, but the only thing that happened was the rear fog came on and the "no message" message appeared.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
This works on all P2's except S80's with chassis numbers below approx 051300.
Keep the READ button depressed, that is usually what people forget.
It works as I use this all the time to see if anything has set while I test drive a car after repairs and clearing all codes.
It does not work if you are moving.
I know of no other hidden menus in the cluster.

It's a shame we don't get what Volvo has put in trucks since late 90's. They have a scan tool in cluster to show all codes and allow some active tests.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would a regular scan tool say at an import auto shop be able to detect this DTC in DEM error? Im going to try the lift thing to verify if they are not all spinning but to pinpoint why they are not working I think I am going to need the assistance of a shop..

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
would a regular scan tool say at an import auto shop be able to detect this DTC in DEM error? Im going to try the lift thing to verify if they are not all spinning but to pinpoint why they are not working I think I am going to need the assistance of a shop..
A regular scanner will not pick up these types of codes. You would need a VIDA/DICE unit to read these kinds of codes/errors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just had my angle gear and collar replaced as not only the collar's splines, but also the angle gear's shaft was also stripped.

I have a V70 R 6MT and the front wheels gave torque steer galore. I wasn't 100% sure it was toast until we had a cold, rainy day. I put the traction control into reduced mode and got so much wheel spin that I also had wheel hop. I had been holding out hope it was just a bit wonky, but I was wrong. It was a FWD R.

After getting the car fixed, the difference was night and day. I was IMMEDIATELY aware of the difference in driving the car.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
I have a DICE unit and VIDA so if you're ever near Apple Valley we can scan your car rather than you having to pay a Volvo shop/dealer. AtacamaR also has this setup in the Anoka area.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have tested mine with the wheels off the ground and all wheels were spinning. I got in some gravel once and did a little brake boost launch, walked back to the gravel to see 4 good dig marks in the gravel. :) HAHA

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,417 Posts
This check seems simple enough, but I could not get it to work. I tried several times, but the only thing that happened was the rear fog came on and the "no message" message appeared.
I cant get it to work either! Hmmm

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
473 Posts
so i did this to see if it works.

here is how i got it to work on my car

press the "read" button once and release it. your display should now say "no messages"

press the "read" button again and hold it in.

while holding the read button in press the rear fog light button on then off. your display will change to "checking dtc"

you can then let go of the read button and press it to go through each control unit.

ready is good

checking is checking...

dtc set in is bad

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,417 Posts
so i did this to see if it works.

here is how i got it to work on my car

press the "read" button once and release it. your display should now say "no messages"

press the "read" button again and hold it in.

while holding the read button in press the rear fog light button on then off. your display will change to "checking dtc"

you can then let go of the read button and press it to go through each control unit.

ready is good

checking is checking...

dtc set in is bad
Great im about to go outside and try this!

I also cant get my regular maintenance message to stop and I have tried tons of times! I just get the flashing and it doesnt go away! ugh

edit

Just went out there and I am not a happy camper.

6 of them said set.... oh no.

I also found this link to help people out!

http://s60r.fadainc.com/tips/Diagnostics.pdf

1 - 20 of 68 Posts