SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the car back from the service, and the dealer said the software has been updated.
But my stored information such as radio stations are still there. I remembered my information was totally wiped out the first time they updated the software quite a while back.

However I did notice that the driving seems to be different, seems more "dynamic", maybe just my illusion.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Just got the car back from the service, and the dealer said the software has been updated.
But my stored information such as radio stations are still there. I remembered my information was totally wiped out the first time they updated the software quite a while back.

However I did notice that the driving seems to be different, seems more "dynamic", maybe just my illusion.
The invoice notation is the only way to know. Unless there is a full reset, the only other time that I lost stations, et al was with the Sensus 2.0 update - 2 years ago or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
FIY I just got my S90 back today from service and a software update as well and none of the car's personalized settings have been lost.
On mine the software was indeed updated because I've spotted subtle changes (ex: the auto start stop now has a different icon than it on my pre-service visit). I've also noticed a slight speed increase with the Sensus interface.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Congratulations you have the latest software as of the date on the invoice with "Total Software Update".
No need to check or look for a version number. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all replies.
I do notice that the start/stop symbol changed, which is part of April release.
Also as I mentioned the car in comfort mode seems a little more responsive, probably part of July release.

So all good.

By the way, the loaner car is a 2019 base model with Harman Kardon standard sound system. I much prefer my 2018's. The Harman Kardon bass sounds a little too muddy for my taste. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've taken my 18 T5 to the dealer and ask for updates but the advisor only response is that according to my VIN #, my car doesnt need updates because is up to date. Could my advisor be failing to do his job?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I've taken my 18 T5 to the dealer and ask for updates but the advisor only response is that according to my VIN #, my car doesnt need updates because is up to date. Could my advisor be failing to do his job?
Did the Advisor or service manager have the technician connect your vehicle to VIDA? What did the read out indicate?

My understanding is that VIDA is determinative - not the VIN - as to whether any system/module updates are available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will ask him that. I have asked him twice to make sure that there are no updates available. I have to take the car on Monday for Reduce Engine Performance message.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Could be.

Could he also have entered the VIN into VIDA and checked? He could have. The car does not need to be connected to check.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Is your car was in the shop April / May this year or later

If not then your car has not been upgraded on the latest available software

You have all the upgrades available here
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/topics/maintenance-service/software-updates/software-updates

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Could be.

Could he also have entered the VIN into VIDA and checked? He could have. The car does not need to be connected to check.
Good to know that VIN can be entered into VIDA.

Do service advisors have VIDA on their PCs? Nice to know if they do.

My understanding has been that updates (not upgrades) are released frequently (e.g., ~weekly). Maybe that has been changing as production and software stabilize.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I can't speak for all dealers, but the ones at my dealer do have VIDA access. They might not all know how to check software though.

Update/upgrade is the same thing as far as we are concerned. And yes, there are more upgrades available than the "big" ones that happen in May and November. The May and November ones have thus far had some sort of change that the customer would notice. The others have not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had my car in the dealership this morning for the 20k-mile service and asked the service advisor about a software update, and he said they would do it if one was available for my car. When I picked it up this afternoon, he said that there were no updates available, which I found strange based on the info I've read on this board. I looked for the updated start/stop icon (as some have noted) while driving home and didn't see it... it still shows "ready" just as before. So I emailed the service advisor who said he would speak with the shop foreman; just got back this response: "They checked for Service 2.0 software update and everything was up to date and there wasn't one available for yours when they checked. There is software for other modules in the vehicle, but that is only loaded for specific problems or errors." Anyone know what to make of this? I was hoping one of you guys who works at a Volvo dealer could help me interpret... BTW, no mention was made about a charge for software updates by me or the service advisor. I took it that they would do it if one was available. If it matters my dealership is in South Carolina. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I had my car in to the dealership this morning and asked the service advisor about a software update, and he said they would do it if one was available for my car. When I picked it up this afternoon, he said that there were no updates available, which I found strange based on the info I've read on this board. I looked for the updated start/stop icon (as some have noted) while driving home and didn't see it... it still shows "ready" just as before. So I emailed the service advisor who said he would speak with the shop foreman; just got back this response: "They checked for Service 2.0 software update and everything was up to date and there wasn't one available for yours when they checked. There is software for other modules in the vehicle, but that is only loaded for specific problems or errors." Anyone know what to make of this? I was hoping one of you guys who works at a Volvo dealer could help me interpret... BTW, no mention was made about a charge for software updates by me of the service advisor. I took it that they would do it if one was available. If it matters my dealership is in South Carolina. Thanks in advance!!!
That's BS.

If I plug a SPA car in and go to the software tab, if there are any updates, it will show the Service 2.0 update as well as a PDS update and Total Upgrade. All three of these are the same thing. It doesn't matter if there is an update for one module, ten modules or every module.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's BS.

If I plug a SPA car in and go to the software tab, if there are any updates, it will show the Service 2.0 update as well as a PDS update and Total Upgrade. All three of these are the same thing. It doesn't matter if there is an update for one module, ten modules or every module.
Tech, what would you suggest? Should I talk with the shop manager? Before today, the car was last in for service on 3/21/19, and that invoice shows that the service 2.0 software was downloaded. Nothing of the sort on the invoice from today...:confused:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Yeah I would talk to the service manager. He might not have any idea though. I know ours is clueless. Ours would tell you to bring it in and he would give it to me to see if it was updated and update it if it wasn't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here’s what he just emailed me after me pressing the issue: “As I stated previously, we did plug your car in and check for updates and it did not come up as one available. If you are having an issue that we can either reproduce or have fault codes for we can do other software to different modules, which I had checked and there were no fault codes stored for your concern. When it happens again just let us know and we can schedule your XC60 in to read fault codes again or duplicate a concern, and if software for that fault is necessary we can load that specific software. Unfortunately at this time your car does not have the service 2.0 software available.”

1 - 20 of 32 Posts