SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my ‘19 XC60 back in February and was told my car has Polestar. I have the badge on my lift gate but my system does not show any indications that I have Polestar. How would I know that my car truly has it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Danshot1, I just had the upgrade installed and I have no changes in my dash or center display showing Polestar. I do notice the difference in shifting though. I asked for the badge not to be installed.

·
Registered
677 Posts
With the newest software update there is now a visual representation on the dash when you switch it into dynamic mode. It now says Polestar. They finally listened to the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Perfect, thanks Tech for looking it up and thanks Dealcatcher for confirming what I was curious about—why does my system say Dynamic but not Polestar when I switch driving modes. I will ask my dealer for a (hopefully) complimentary system upgrade when my car is due for 10K service.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
What an interesting report. Can these descriptions be looked up through the VIN in any public database? Or it is internal Volvo info?
If you buy the 3-day VIDA subscription for $75, should be able to see it. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
What an interesting report. Can these descriptions be looked up through the VIN in any public database? Or it is internal Volvo info?
It is not available publicly. But like FusionRedXC60 said, someone with a VIDA subscription can get the info. There's a lot more than what I clipped for this post.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My car has no indications that it has Polestar.
But. Driving gently along at 80 km/h in comfort mode and then switching to Dynamic the revs will rise and the car will go from 8th down to 6th.
I think this shows some poor thinking on the part of the engineers. No need for it. Now in that case just leaving the revs and gear alone until the gas pedal is touched and then a rapid gear change or two...like instantly and raising the revs would be right. Now maybe the transmission can’t do that...I wonder. I thought the transmission was the Aisin 8 speed which is a transverse clone of the justly famous ZF 8 8 speed used in almost every BMW and non-DSG Audi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
But. Driving gently along at 80 km/h in comfort mode and then switching to Dynamic the revs will rise and the car will go from 8th down to 6th.
I think this shows some poor thinking on the part of the engineers. No need for it. Now in that case just leaving the revs and gear alone until the gas pedal is touched and then a rapid gear change or two...like instantly and raising the revs would be right. Now maybe the transmission can't do that...I wonder. I thought the transmission was the Aisin 8 speed which is a transverse clone of the justly famous ZF 8 8 speed used in almost every BMW and non-DSG Audi.

Gears 7 and 8 are "overdrive" gears.

It's simply preparing the gearbox and engine to allow you to accelerate faster. If you're happily cruising along, why would you put the car into dynamic mode anyway?

And at highway speeds, say 110-130 kph, it's going to shift all the way up the gears, regardless of drive mode.

Also, it's not really a transverse clone of the ZF 8 speed. It wishes it was... And I wish it was... But it's not. It is a great gearbox, and as someone who drives almost exclusively in manual mode (except like, when cruising on the highway) I'll say, it shifts plenty fast if you mentally adjust for the lag, but it's definitely not as good as the ZF.

Also, useful protip for all you lead footed racecar drivers whipping your 2 ton Volvo SUVs... The only way to force the transmission to skip gears while downshifting is to hit the kick down button on the accelerator pedal. So if you're cruising in a high gear, say 7/8, and you want it down to 4/5 fast, quickly push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, then quickly lift back off. If you do it fast enough, the car will nearly immediately shift to the best gear for maximum torque, then you can modulate the throttle like normal to overtake or whatever you want to do.

It's a bit of a tricky thing to get used to, but when I want to quickly downshift gears, it's really the only option. Obviously, don't just floor it, unless that's what you really want, instead, think of it as the fastest possible tapping of the button at the end of the accelerator pedal. Then you're in perfect gear for maximum torque. ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Shammyh. The only reason for putting the car into ‘dynamic’ was to see what Polestar would do.
Surely the speed of changing of a modern slush box is just software so it should be able to do the changes when it recognizes gas pedal movement.

The moral of the story is that VW should licence the DSG to everyone including Volvo.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I also appreciate if they offer a mode that is comfort at starting but aggressive when gas pedal is pressed half way or more for quick acceleration.
Eg, combine comfort and dynamic mode in one mode.
Well but they don't want to.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There is no kickdown button on the accelerator pedal.
There is a kickdown function in the manual. I thought there was a button at the end too.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think this shows some poor thinking on the part of the engineers. No need for it. Now in that case just leaving the revs and gear alone until the gas pedal is touched and then a rapid gear change or two...like instantly and raising the revs would be right. Now maybe the transmission can't do that...I wonder. I thought the transmission was the Aisin 8 speed which is a transverse clone of the justly famous ZF 8 8 speed used in almost every BMW and non-DSG Audi.

FYI: Audi used S-tronic and in VW models it is DSG
The principle is the same (dual-clutch transmission) but the difference is large between the S-tronic vs DSG

https://www.audi-technology-portal.de/en/drivetrain/transmission-technologies/s-tronic_en

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is no kickdown button on the accelerator pedal.
There absolutely is in automatic SPA cars. 😉

I'm not sure if it's a separate signal, or simply 100% WOT, but there's a distinct "click" right after the end of the pedal travel, and as others mentioned, it's referenced in the manual.

Plus, as I mentioned, it has distinct behavior.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Shammyh. The only reason for putting the car into 'dynamic' was to see what Polestar would do.
Surely the speed of changing of a modern slush box is just software so it should be able to do the changes when it recognizes gas pedal movement.

The moral of the story is that VW should licence the DSG to everyone including Volvo.

Even the regular comfort mode is actually affected by that P* optimization, but I gotcha!

Also, while much of a modern automatic transmission is software, the DSGs are not physically the same design. They don't have a torque converter.

There are cons to DSGs as well. They can be a bit jerky at times, especially at slow speeds, and have more issues with heat build up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts