SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a spare angle gear and I'm getting confused by the stampings on the case.

What I know is that there are 2 versions of the angle gear that are not compatible between each other:

Old one that fits:
04-07 XC70
04-06 XC90 5cyl only
04-06 S80 AWD
04-07 R M66
04-05 R Auto
04-09 S60 AWD

New one that fits 06-07 R Auto, larger and more splines on the input side designed to work with TF-80SC transmission.

The above is clear and verified on multiple sources.

But when buying a used angle gear I need to be able to identify it to make sure no matter how the seller is listing it.
I was looking at the stamping for that.

I found: VOLVO 30700027, BQ3EA SWEDEN. This is the same as the stamping on my 04R M66 angle gear. Also here on a 06R M66.

The other one is 1728 01023739, VOLVO SWEDEN. This was posted by some as 04 angle gear, but also as 06 auto angle gear.

MnOpRacInG listed the two switched here.

And the 3rd stamping was posted by someone here: 1023808 stamp for an 04R M66.

So are the stamps a sure indication of what the angle gear is or is it only a casting thing and the input shaft may be different?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The input is different for the TF80 equipped Rs because the passenger side axle is larger in diameter. So everything related to the hollow through-shaft is also larger.

Got a '15 S60 in at work last week, noted that it had an S40 style intake manifold and a TF80. Looked underneath it and it has the small diameter axles. So not all TF80s had the big angle gears.

Looking at the whole car more closely, it looks more or less like a big Focus chassis-wise, which is probably why it has the S40 style intake...

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Easiest way is by seeing what car it came off of honestly. I think at least some of those stamps are casting related. An ebay search of XC70/S60 2.5t angle gear. If the year is right you cannot be wrong.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the year is right you cannot be wrong.
That right there is the problem: if.

Many listings are a mess of pictures, part numbers and year it came from. Some people don't even know what car as they are far removed from the first buyer.
If I can have a visual way of correct identification then I can just ask for (more) pictures.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The input is different for the TF80 equipped Rs because the passenger side axle is larger in diameter. So everything related to the hollow through-shaft is also larger.
Interesting mention but looking at my manual R and an auto 2007 V70 R (VIN YV1SJ527472654070) they are using the same PN for the passenger axle (8252051).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts