SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

While replacing some lightbulbs in the rear and trying to maneuver my hand around the awkward openings, I ended up dropping two (yes, two) lightbulbs down into the frame of the car... like actually into the cavity of the car (they dropped past the small metal circles of the frame and fell down towards the bumper area).

I took a look beneath the car and found no openings to retrieve them. I also tried a metal grabber tool (which bends) with a magnetic tip, but that did not work either.

So now I'm hearing two things rolling/rattling around whenever I turn, brake, or accelerate from a stop.

Is there a way to remedy this? Is there a quick way to retrieve the bulbs or at least remove them easily?

2013 Volvo XC60 T6

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Leave a neodymium magnet attached to the frame. When the bulbs move pass them they’ll stick to the magnetic section.
While this won’t solve retrieval, it will stop them from rattling and moving around

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
You may have to remove the bumper cover and rear crash bar to access - sounds intimidating but isn't really. I had to do this to mount a hitch and it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ShadowDancer - I guess being raised by two scientists (each with multiple Masters & PHDs) and being trained as an architect I tend to go for permanent/hollistic solutions, but that's an interesting suggestion thank you. If I can't get to them it may be the way to go.

Wayne - I'll give that a try! Are there any links on how to remove those? I'll do some searching.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Back up fast, brake hard, downhill to the rear if possible, and then do not move it before you go fishing with coat hanger wire wrapped a few turns with double sided tape. The bulbs may not have enough, if any, ferrous metal that a magnet can hold.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
ShadowDancer - I guess being raised by two scientists (each with multiple Masters & PHDs) and being trained as an architect I tend to go for permanent/hollistic solutions, but that's an interesting suggestion thank you. If I can't get to them it may be the way to go.

Wayne - I'll give that a try! Are there any links on how to remove those? I'll do some searching.
If you look for links on installing hitches on sites like etrailer that would do it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

I'm more an 'improvise, adapt, overcome' kind of guy when the permanent and correct method isn't going to be reasonably feasible. :)
Whatever method you find works, I hope it solves the problem. Nothing more annoying than driving around with irritating squeaks, rattles, and knocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've experienced this also. I actually duct taped a piece of gardening hose (more flexible to work with) to my vacuum cleaner. After some fumbling around i got the light bulb out of there. I would definitely try this method before removing bumpers and so on..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts