SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you like me, who have been wondering how to restore the grey faceplate of your speedometer/gage cluster, I have found the answer.

Go to ebay, and look for the lovely dark blue 1966 coupe for sale, and take a look at the pictures of the speedo--perfect. I wrote Bob Waldman (the owner), and asked him for his recipe for restoring the gray. His response:

"To remove the clear acrylic backing from the faceplate I used a razor blade and carefully cut off the nibs holding it together. Once the faceplate is free I again used a razor blade to nib away at the edges of the colored indicator lenses until they were free. The faceplate is very thin brass and must be handled with care. On most of them the original factory paint is already flaking in spots, so I helped that along by slowly prying up the edges of the old paint with a fresh razor blade. It doesn't need to be scraped so much as just 'lifted' by the edges and it will flake away in nice large pieces. The adhesion near the inner edges is a little harder so just take your time. It took me about an hour. Once all the paint was removed I sprayed it with Krylon Wrinkle Black and cured it with a heat gun. The next day I sprayed a topcoat over the wrinkle finish in Ford Gray, which I think most closely approximates the original color. Reassembly of the indicator lenses and backplate were done with a glue gun."

Bob went on to provide a little more detail: "The Ford Gray has a satin finish - just right. Good luck with the GT, refinishing the cluster is a satisfying job and in my eye one of the finishing touches of a good restoration. I was dreading putting it back in the car because it was a bear to remove, but for some inexplicable reason it went right back in with no problem. On a side note, the acrylic back face and indicator lenses were polished with Novus grade 2 fine scratch remover, available at most TAP plastic stores or hobby shops."

Thanks to Bob for so generously sharing the secret to properly refinishing the speedo faceplate--and congratulations to him on a spectacular restoration.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for sharing this... while the instrument cluster is long-future task right now for my Amazon, I was wondering what would be the best approach to restore.

That beautiful 122s on eBay makes me seriously consider restoring mine back to its original Dark Blue as well... still undecided, but the high-resolution pics provide a better reference than old photos of varying quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
The odometer is direct gear driven so if it reads fast, you have the wrong speedometer drive gears in your transmission output and there's nothing you can do but change them.
The speedometer is spring loaded so you can adjust it, but it's very difficult to do and if the odometer is off you need to correct that first.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Can you get other speedometer gears ? I do have another speedometer in a parts car I need to pull out and tinker with.
Come to think of it I have the M40 out of that wagon that might have a different speedometer gear. Now I wish I was home so I could pull it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So, for me, the question would be is the M40 speedo gear in an Amazon specific to that car? If I change trannies, say to an M41, do I need to swap gears? What do I look for between the two?

·
Registered
425 Posts
speedometer gears have a different number of teeth, 17-19 iirc. your tire size makes a difference too, original amazons came with 590-15 or something like that so a larger diameter tire rolls slower. Also your rear axle ratio affects this too, I believe m40 amazons are 4.10-1, estates 4.56-1.

But yes you'll have to get a different gear to correct the speedometer.

http://irollmot.ipower.com/oscom/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=gear&x=0&y=0

·
Registered
550 Posts
Found this.http://zrdlabs.com/index.php?route=common/home

Didn't link like I'd hoped but look for the 122 stuff. He makes a gear.

Also from my searching it looks like the M40 gear won't fit the J type overdrive. Possibly a gear from one of the other common cars that used J types would interchange?

I also know someone somewhere makes a little gear box that firsts in the speedometer cable. At the cost of gears that maybe something to consider.
Or just buy a GPS and forget the whole thing.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Yeah in the end most people just live with the error and compensate mentally, or in the 21st century, with a GPS. Basically you have to match the rear end gears and the tires with the transmission that is in the car. On an old car like these, mileage is almost always assumed to be inaccurate anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts