SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not a novice to this venture, as I had to replace the entire PCV system on my 98 S70 T5 a year ago, but now, with my 06 s60R, and their poor material choice of tubing, I had to go in and perform the job again. This time I opted to only replace the hose, as I was getting good air flow through the PCV system. I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy it ended up being.

First, order the replacement PCV hose from the crankcase to flame trap box (I don't have the volvo part number off hand, but the image is below and it's item A). It's a pretty good price. Also get two hose clamps. I'd get it all at the dealer. The price was actually cheaper than buying online.

Remove the plastic intake tube from the turbo to intercooler.
Remove spark plug cover
Remove Intake filter box
Remove the clamps from the hose you are going to replace.
- I used a flat head screw driver
- You can access the clamp at the flame trap between the runners of the intake manifold
Remove the hose
Remove the rubber sleeves from the crankcase and the flame trap, that the breather tube fits over
- The new hose design does not require these
Put your new clamps on the hose
Route the hose and slide flame trap side on
Tighten clamps
- You can get a screw driver to the flame trap side of the hose by reaching under the intake manifold from where you removed the air filter box.
Put everything back together!

I was amazed. I had to tear the intake manifold off on my T5 to do this job.
Honestly, if you have oil on the top plastics, this hose is bad.
Most likely, if you haven't replaced it, you should. It's easy. cheap, keeps your motor clean and keeps the moisture and dirt out of your oil.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
What does the PCV system do? What are symptoms of a bad one?

·
Registered
448 Posts
^positive crankcase ventilation system vents oil vapors from the crankcase into the intake system because it is illegal to vent it to the atmosphere. A properly functioning PCV system will keep a vacuum on the crankcase so it doesn't over-pressurize and force oil out through gaskets and seals. symptoms of a bad one are easy to find in a volvo. primarily pulling out the oil dipstick with the engine running. if you see smoke puffs, you need a PCV service.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another common symptom on a volvo is having oil leaking on the top near the spark plugs, or down the front of the block.

·
Registered
359 Posts
+1 on a great item for repair. The holes on the block mainly the bottom one are dur to be cleaned every 60k miles by the book. At the shop usual if i see a car with 80k or more i sugest a replacement it also help keeps seals from going bad due to crankcase pressure build up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question on this old thread... instead of using the oetiker clamps and having to buy the tool, would it be acceptable to user small worm clamps instead? Also, I don't see how I'll be able to get the oetiker pliers in there without having to remove the fuel rail and injectors. My car is a 2005 S60 2.5t 2wd.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.