SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For a Volvo XC60 (2012), is it possible to replace the electric tailgate support struts with gas struts?

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am thinking of doing the same....

Hello

I can't answer this currently, but I am considering doing exactly the same thing. I have a 2012 XC60 with electric tailgate. The right hand strut has been getting worse for about the past year, making a horrible noise, and has now finally seemed to have given up. It sounds like it is completely worn on the inside, and opening and closing the boot is currently very difficult.

To buy even second hand electric struts cost in the region of £160 each (and I am VERY reluctant to buy second hand, as I will not know worn these will be).

An electric tailgate is a bit of a luxury, and a bit of 'over-engineering' in my book. Therefore to replace with gas struts (which will cost less that £40 for a pair), makes a lot of sense.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it would be good to see how each of us get on, or if one of us finds some more info about this....

My main concerns are:

Will gas struts fit okay? I think they will.
Will the locking mechanism continue to work?

Kind regards

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My electric struts made horrible noises a year and half ago. Sounded like a cat being slowly killed. I sprayed some bike lube in there, cycled the trunk and let it soak in with trunk up. Noise went away. Try this before dropping $$$ on new ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello

I can't answer this currently, but I am considering doing exactly the same thing. I have a 2012 XC60 with electric tailgate. The right hand strut has been getting worse for about the past year, making a horrible noise, and has now finally seemed to have given up. It sounds like it is completely worn on the inside, and opening and closing the boot is currently very difficult.
I had the same problem and eventually fixed it with Q20 - spaying some a few times on the lift mechanism AND on the knuckles (where the mechanism attaches to the tailgate and the body) fixed it and I have not had a problem since.

Worth a try ... :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
An update.

The right electric strut is completely unserviceable I thinlK. I cannot find replacement for less than £160 (second hand). So I have removed the electric struts (easy enough, videos on Youtube), and fitted standard hydraulic struts that cost me £27 off the internet. These have worked a treat. I don't have an automatic boot anymore, but better than paying £100s to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An update.

The right electric strut is completely unserviceable I thinlK. I cannot find replacement for less than £160 (second hand). So I have removed the electric struts (easy enough, videos on Youtube), and fitted standard hydraulic struts that cost me £27 off the internet. These have worked a treat. I don't have an automatic boot anymore, but better than paying £100s to get it fixed.
What hydraulic struts did you fit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would also like to know which struts were used. And was it a very difficult job? My left electric strut is completely destroyed and I would rather replace with non-motorized than spend $250+ for a single strut. Especially considering the right one is just as old and likely to fail as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey folks. If any of you want to donate your old busted electric struts to science and the community let me know. If I can find some used up struts I will volunteer to take them apart and try to see if they are fixable. It would make a great winter project.
I will pay shipping.
Thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
An update.

What struts did you use to replace the electronic one with? Did you just put another OEM non electric strut in place? Was it an easy job? My question is now, how heavy is the trunk to lift open manually? Is it a heavy trunk?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The 2010 is hydraulic power tailgate when equipped with power tailgate feature. The right side is the standard gas strut and left has two lines from a pump inside tailgate to open and close via which line is pressurized by pump and which i opened to allow oil to return to the sump or accumulator. The electric ones that came out on late 2011 build can be replaced with the standard gas struts. The wires to the struts will have to dealt with if the electric ones are deleted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 2010 is hydraulic power tailgate when equipped with power tailgate feature. The right side is the standard gas strut and left has two lines from a pump inside tailgate to open and close via which line is pressurized by pump and which i opened to allow oil to return to the sump or accumulator. The electric ones that came out on late 2011 build can be replaced with the standard gas struts. The wires to the struts will have to dealt with if the electric ones are deleted.
I have a 2009 (same as 2010), to swap from an automatic to manual, would anything else be needed besides 2 new gas struts?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think there is no good way to avoid the oil draining from the pump/reservoir so the tailgate inside panel needs to be removed and then remove the pump unit with the hoses out to the cylinders.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Theres a pump?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yes, the 2010 through mid-year 2011 have a hydraulic pump inside tailgate. There is a simple gas strut on RH side and LH side has a cylinder that is round on body end and square on tailgate anchor end. If you look at the tailgate anchored end you will see two hoses coming from inside tailgate going to that end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks. If any of you want to donate your old busted electric struts to science and the community let me know. If I can find some used up struts I will volunteer to take them apart and try to see if they are fixable. It would make a great winter project.
I will pay shipping.
Thanks
Mine was unfixable. It broke in half. Once opened, I could see that the spring on the inside had rusted badly. It was broken into multiple pieces.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts