SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - My car has the usual broken hinge and the cover is a little scuffed, so I thought let's just replace the unit....

The replacement part was easy to get hold of (didn't even cost that much in the scheme of things). Hooray!

But I'm now struggling to see how one gets the relevant bits of the centre console off to remove the old unit. (Grrr)

The only part which is easy to unclip is the hand-brake lever cover and gaiter. Even then, I think there are screws holding the cup holder in place with their herads very awkwardly pointing down - which means its not easy to get a screwdriver / torx bit onto them.

Maybe the panel on the other side also unclips, but where actually are these clips and which tool should I use? It feels rock solid at the moment.

Then there is a small trim piece just behind the Geartronic gaiter, which overlaps the cup holder unit, but I also cannot see how to remove it.

I've checked my copy of VIDA and the 'Repair' menu instructions are pretty useless - indeed they don't actually show any diagrams for the R-specific console.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

(I'm starting to think the reason this part is readily available is because no one in the their right mind would attempt to replace it!)

Kind Regards to all

tim

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,451 Posts
Pen holder pops out with a bone tool. Then there are torx bolts that let you pop out the shifter surround and assembly. Then you keep going backwards until you reach the cup holders and I think it’s similar.

Reactions: FlashGreen

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,451 Posts
Just realized that the ‘04 R (for V and S) center console is the same gross design as the S60 prefacift one, and now know what trim piece you’re talking about between the shifter surround and the cupholders.
I’d still look in VIDA at replacing the boot or gear lever etc to see how to take stuff apart until there. Should be under interior, and power transmission.
I’ll have a look if I can find any cupholder specific ones — hopefully someone can find one in the meantime.

Reactions: FlashGreen

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - you've confirmed my suspicion that it involves taking probably the whole console out! Hoping that is nice and easy...

·
Registered
218 Posts
You’re talking about the cupholder just after the shifter? Open the center console and then just slide the cupholder back a centimeter and pull up. No tools required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi! That’s precisely what I need to do. That guy makes it look really easy. I really hope that’s the case! Not quite sure why he needed the shift lever in drive and whether that was only to get the front torx screws out as you can’t do this whole job with a foot on the brake pedal - I hope!
Thanks again
tim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is an excellent video - many thanks. She covers every detail, which is just what I need as a complete novice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, i have completed the job and I now have a nice shiny new cup-holder and hinged cover.

It really is as easy a switch to carry out as the videos suggest.

Probably 15 minutes of actual work, which I stretched out to an hour with taking pictures and generally marvelling at how well built these old cars are.

Amazingly there was very little dirt and debris under the console and hardly anything in the shut-lines, so I didn't have to do much on that side of things.

Thanks everyone for the kind pointers and advice.

It makes me want to tackle the scratched up console now!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Get a facelift console and swap it out. Best interior modification you can do to these cars (aside from the subwoofer)
Just make sure its brushed aluminum not the other one.

·
3,927 Posts
I have 2 updated center consoles for sale if your interested. You will need to get an Atacama top cover though, both are in nordcap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Having looked at these facelifted units online - or what I think they may be - at the moment I'm inclined to keep it original. I know that cupholder hinged lid is a weak point, so I'll just have to be careful with it 🤪. But at least I can get spares quite cheaply (!!) if I break it... My main concern now is the scratches to the textured areas of the centre console. I think I'll attempt to repaint it as I'm assuming a new unit would be really expensive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts