SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove the front seat headrest on a 2019 XC90? I found this video on youtube, but it looks like the older generation XC90. Does this method work for the 2019 model? I just ordered (dealer swap) a 2019, will pick it up next week, and was wondering about this. The salesman said the headrests are not removable. Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The headrests are part of the safety equipment, just like seat belts and airbags.
Why would you want to remove them?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Is it possible to remove the front seat headrest on a 2019 XC90? I found this video on youtube, but it looks like the older generation XC90. Does this method work for the 2019 model? I just ordered (dealer swap) a 2019, will pick it up next week, and was wondering about this. The salesman said the headrests are not removable. Any info appreciated.
I assume one of the main reasons you are buying an XC90 is because of its superior safety record. Why would you want to remove a part of a system that is designed to prevent severe neck injuries?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume one of the main reasons you are buying an XC90 is because of its superior safety record. Why would you want to remove a part of a system that is designed to prevent severe neck injuries?
Of course I understand the safety of a headrest! I often drive the car with my wife sitting in the BACK seat, with our dog. NOBODY sitting in the front passenger seat. She prefers a clear view forward. So if anyone knows how to remove the front passenger headrest, please advise.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Why would you want to remove a part of a system that is designed to prevent severe neck injuries?
I assume the primary function of a Head-Rest is, as its name implies, resting the head. Now, in my experience, I have never been able to use the headrest to rest my head while driving. I have had to switch drivers as my neck stiffens and pains after half-a-days worth of driving.

If you're gonna defeat the primary (and only) function of a system, might as well get rid of it. The only reason I do not think that way is because the seats (along with the pretty-much useless head-rests) look beautiful and of course, they being a part of Volvos safety systems.

I wait for the day when Volvo makes all RVMs non-adjustable and then slaps on a safety-system reason for doing that! :D

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Of course I understand the safety of a headrest! I often drive the car with my wife sitting in the BACK seat, with our dog. NOBODY sitting in the front passenger seat. She prefers a clear view forward. So if anyone knows how to remove the front passenger headrest, please advise.
Too bad the Volvo xc90 lounge concept (circa 2015) was never commercialized:
https://autoweek.com/article/china-...s-front-passenger-seat-lounge-console-concept
https://cardesignnews.com/articles/...volvo-s-lounge-mode-at-the-chairman-s-request

·
Registered
530 Posts
I feel like it would be easier to just just fold the front passenger seat forward...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Thank you Swedwagon! That's useful. I did some more digging and found this video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJfCFpKnR_4 although I can't tell what year or model is in the video (it's not a 19 XC90), but maybe the process is similar. Will know when I take delivery of the car next week.
That’s for a P2 XC90 (pre 2014) and from the looks of the seat may not even work for all P2 XC90 model years. The seats on our 2010 don’t look like that.

On a SPA XC90, it’s more of a “semi” permanent change that involves taking the seat apart to remove the upholstery and have access to the head-restraint retaining studs. The flip side is it may be possible to reinstall without having to disassemble the seat first but I don’t know as I’ve not tried installing the iPad holder myself.

This guide gets into it and seems to show some of the infrastructure of the head-restraint staying in the seat and potentially exposed. It looks like it’s a safety element of the seat that was not intended to be defeated. Something to also keep in mind that the head-restraint is also a part of WHIPS and by removing it it is likely to also impair the total structure of the front seat whether in use or not.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/I...n/Document/VCC-485948-18/en-us/XC90(16-)/2017

Why not just tilt the seat forward? For the situation you describe it might be better and perhaps less ghetto to just remove the passenger seat altogether. It would give your wife and dog a better view and also more room in the back while also ensuring you don’t take any other convenience short cuts and subject a would be front passenger to an unsafe situation by allowing them to use a seat without its head-restraint installed and WHIPS impaired.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem that the SPA seats can be folded flat like on prior Volvo’s. That is one of the awesome and unique features of our 2010.

We used that feature in our V40 and have also in our 2010.

·
Registered
XC90 II / S90 II
4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I think it is only a safety feature. But it can become a comfort feature also:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-se/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-500307/2018
True. Volvo has converted the Headrest to a safety-only feature. Which, in truth, should be a secondary function. Now, (let's say) one wouldn't go design the safest chair in the world and then make it so uncomfortable that a person could hardly sit on it for a minute. That would be defeating it's purpose.

Probably, it bugs me more because of my R&D profession. Form (or secondary function) over (primary) function is by far my biggest engineering pet-peeve.

And yes, if Volvo really thought this through and cared enough, the comfort feature (Pillow) would be standard with every Volvo and not an additional accessory you "could" buy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to VolvoUhu and Animal Farm. I don't want to permanently remove the headrest (oops, sorry, "head restraint"), just would like to remove it occasionally for certain long trips with spouse & dog. It's looking like it's not really practical to remove/replace quickly and easily. Oh well. She may decide she wants an i-pad holder instead.
At least it's bright and airy back there, with the pano sunroof and theatre seating.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you press VERY hard about 4 - 6 inches below where the head restraints mount to the seatback, there are tabs beneath the leather that will release and the head restraint will easily pull out. I recommend using your fingers only so that you don't damage the leather.

Finding (feeling) for those tabs and pressing them hard enough while pulling the head restraint upward can be a little frustrating.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
If you press VERY hard about 4 - 6 inches below where the head restraints mount to the seatback, there are tabs beneath the leather that will release and the head restraint will easily pull out. I recommend using your fingers only so that you don't damage the leather.

Finding (feeling) for those tabs and pressing them hard enough while pulling the head restraint upward can be a little frustrating.
Not on a SPA XC90. That's the P2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks qaz996. That sounds like the method shown in the Youtube video I found, which appears to show an earlier model. Probably won't work but I'll give it a try anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts