SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So only the driver side rear rattles, I've narrowed it down to be the plastic dust bellow/strut cover that rattles when going over bumps. Theres a sufficient amount of threads showing about 4 threads after the bolt, yet rattles and moves back and forth in the strut mount when the suspension is lifted up with a jack don't know if thats normal. The passenger side has less threads showing but doesn't rattle. Did I miss putting in a spacer of some sort? any help is appreciated. I've replaced all 4c struts, ipd lowering springs, front struts rebuild kit and new end links front and rear I know its the plastic bellow that rattles. Sorry if my links don't work I left a video and am trying to learn how to paste images and videos. I recorded the noise in the posted video below.

Inside trunk of top of the strut where its able to move left and right, also I did bend the metal a bit because I'm not dealing with that B.S LMAO

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was reading in vida ages ago that there was a tsb for that noise and a little repair kit to stop it. Hopefully someone here with vida up and running can look it up quickly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
To me it looks like the shock's nut is not screwed all the way in, I see gap between nut and mount, this will produce noise on every bump. Tightening this nut should be done with shock out of the car, not inside the car. The torx hole in the rod looks quite worn for a new strut. I usually lubricate the rod's thread with grease to make the nut go in easier and grease will prevent rusting of the threads for easier disassembly in the future. To properly tighten this nut in the car, you need an offset socket or wrench. When assembly is out of the car, I use a regular socket clamped with vice-grips to allow torx bit go through socket to hold the rod from spinning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts