SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dismantling a rear axle and can't figure out how to remove this control arm

All the bolts have been removed. Here are some more pictures from different angles.

Any idea?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I cut mine out but it was already broken. I think if you cut/burn the bushings out, it would come out. The new one went in once I cut the old bushings out.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To press the bushings out, you have first to remove the arm. I am trying a non destructive method.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am dismantling a rear axle from another car. Partly to figure out what I will need to do to replace all the bushings of the rear suspension of my car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I see, well your best bet is to loosen up every single bolt on that suspension and try to hammer that sucker out and make sure you spray a lot of oil in there and let it sit for hours and since you're changing the bushings heat will help you a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Chance are you will not be able to hammer those old guys out without doing a lot of damage to what you are hammering on. Best way is to press them out, they make special jigs for such things.

Most people that DIY do the burn and cut method to get them out of there without special tools though.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it out. I cut the bushing on one side with a box cutter, drill and narrow wood chisel

I think a 1 1/2 inch bell saw could have worked better but I only had a 2 inch. Once you managed to cut all the rubber you can then twist out the inner part of the bushing out.

This is what it looks like once the inner part of the bushing has been removed.

It then easy to pry out on the other side of the arm to disengage it from its bushing.

And voila

1 - 11 of 11 Posts