SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the window in a door?

I’ve found videos detailing how to remove the door panel, but I need to remove the inside panel (to get to a door lock actuator) and it seems like the window is keeping the inside panel from coming out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Came across something a short while ago while researching a similar thing, can't find it again now, but the gist of it was that you need to have the window a bit less than half way up, then there are two tabs visible thru the inner door panel that you can release and then lift the window up and out - it was a bit too scary for me so I dropped that task some way down the to-do list for now

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks! That was my suspicion, glad to have the confirmation. I’ll give it a go!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Subscribing. Very interested in further details.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just about to buy the replacement lock actuator and did a google search to find a place to buy it and happened upon this amazing video!

https://youtu.be/vF-hEtXIT7k

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I was just about to buy the replacement lock actuator and did a google search to find a place to buy it and happened upon this amazing video!

https://youtu.be/vF-hEtXIT7k
Insane and fascinating at the same time. A bit intimidating to figure out.
Are you going to buy a new lock actuator?
If so please share what you bought with us.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks for that... there's a rear left at some point in my future, but I'll admit to being pretty scared about removing/replacing the window... I wish that video had shown the replacement process

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I want to do the rear driver side.
Two things:
1- It does not seem like the outside door handle has that screw.
2- Is the window glass as easy to remove as on the front?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Did you replace just the motor or the entire lock?

I still need to know how to remove the outside handle in the back since I don't see a screw on the side like the front doors.
Anyone?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you replace just the motor or the entire lock?

I still need to know how to remove the outside handle in the back since I don't see a screw on the side like the front doors.
Anyone?
I remember reading (perhaps in the comments for that YouTube video, by the guy who made the video?) that it’s nearly impossible to replace just the motor, so you have to buy the whole locking assembly.

My part should be coming today, so hopefully I’ll get to work on this tomorrow. And I’ll see what I can figure out about the rear door handles.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I remember reading (perhaps in the comments for that YouTube video, by the guy who made the video?) that it’s nearly impossible to replace just the motor, so you have to buy the whole locking assembly.

My part should be coming today, so hopefully I’ll get to work on this tomorrow. And I’ll see what I can figure out about the rear door handles.
Thanks. Please keep us posted.

It is definitely easier to replace the whole lock especially since the car is virtually undriveable when everything is out.
Would be interesting to tinker around with the lock on the workbench though.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The rear door procedure is basically the same. You have to move the door seal out of the way to see the hole to get the outer handle off. The window glass stays in. You just disconnect it from the lift and tape it up.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Thanks Tech. I could feel that hole behind the seal so I don't think I need to remove it, just pull it aside.
As for the window, I'll have to duct tape it and prop it up.
Next order of business is to buy that lock mechanism.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Appreciate the tips, thanks Tech... will move that rear lock mechanism up my shopping list and get ready to have a go at this myself

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Part ordered (total of $176).
Looking forward to having it unlock again. At least at this point it locks every time.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Finally got it done today. Took way longer than I thought but it's done.
It's pretty much like in the video except not as easy.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got it done today. Took way longer than I thought but it's done.
It's pretty much like in the video except not as easy.
Nice! What parts did you have trouble on?

I haven’t gotten around to mine yet, been waiting for nice weather when I have the time (on account of not having a garage to work in). Also, of course the door has been fine recently when I’ve actually used it... I wonder if it’s just problematic when it’s cold(?)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts