SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Many P2 volvos? Where do you live? I’ve only seen one rusty P2 near me, it was in CT and had 382k miles on it, even then the rust wasn’t too bad, it was near the rear rocker panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Just about every car eventually rusts there. Collects a lot of crap and usually a bumper cover to body attachment point there, which doesn't help.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Not true. I've NEVER seen one have any rust.
Volvos as a rule DO NOT RUST unless it's been repainted with bad prep, allowing a bad stone chip to never have been cleaned, then TOUCHED UP to prevent any salt from hitting the bare metal, etc and so forth.
You have to wash your car in the winter (with the $3.00 extra undercarriage clean) and dried thoroughly.

If you take care of your Volvo and it will never rust, even in the salt belt

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Volvos as a rule DO NOT RUST unless it's been repainted with bad prep, allowing a bad stone chip to never have been cleaned, then TOUCHED UP to prevent any salt from hitting the bare metal, etc and so forth.
You have to wash your car in the winter (with the $3.00 extra undercarriage clean) and dried thoroughly.

Couldn't agree more. If I see one that has body rust, it's because of other damage.

·
3,899 Posts
They do rust depending on where you are, it is more UNCOMMON than some. My P2 has a good amount of rust underneath, that said I have tools to take care of it. I'm waiting till it warms up, then ripping apart everything, stripping, sanding, priming an painting. POR15 is a great temp option as long as you can paint the entire area front and back.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I live in Michigan...we salt the crap out of our roads here. Bought my R new a bit over 12 years ago and has seen 10 winters and has over 180k miles. No rust anywhere outside of some surface rust on suspension bits... a lot to be said for keeping it clean. I spray mine down every chance I get in the Winter and ensure I clean the underbody each time. Cleaning is your best preventative measure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I own the white s80 and purchased it with small rust spots in those areas. It seems to be growing from the undercarriage up to those spots. The lady who owned it before me took it in for regular maintenance and kept it fairly clean. Its 2001 with 180k on it. It seems to be a common rust spot on cars that do rust.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Clean and wax the car before Winter
Clean the underbody regularly during Winter

Prevention is the only cure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
3,899 Posts
Spot on - salt away helps a ton and use hydro2 on everything before winter and you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have noticed many volvos with the P2 chassis get rust in these locations. Is there a solid way to prevent this from happening?

https://i.imgur.com/W1elaFU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cXUhtNz.jpg

Every white block Volvo I've had has shown signs of in-to-out rust thru right aft of the drivers side rear door just at the bottom of the dog leg. Even though I live in a high salt environment and have had my cars do fairly significant miles its the only location that seems to be problematic. It appears to be a blind cavity. I've had one , a '02 XC' repaired and the body guy ended up cutting out nearly 12 inches of metal up the dog leg and about the same along the rocker til he came to good enough metal to start the repair. Not sure how to prevent it but I do spray green RustCheck (Canadian only product maybe) into the rocker drains near the problem spot but I haven't been able to tell if it has slowed or eliminated the problem yet.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Here's an early P2 S60 with MA plates. So, they do rust.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Thi8s is true only for SOME Volvos. '91ish-up 240s, 700-series, 800-series, 900-series, and P2s. And of course everything newer.

Older 240s rusted badly. As did my NEDCAR S40 :(

·
Registered
26 Posts

Our P80 V70R rusted like crazy, and it was only 9 years old at the time. It also had a very clean title!!

Hope the SPA XC90 RDP will last longer!!

SVA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts