SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Restoring Mom's T5! An S70 on it's way back to glory.

The sun is out so we're back at it again! I've learned so much in the past few months of car ownership. Scroll down to see the updates, more to come!

Afternoon to all here on the forum. A pleasure to be joining you all!

Last week, I inherited my family's beloved '98 S70 T5 SE. I grew up with her... I mean, she's only 2 years younger than me. (That's isn't robbing the cradle, right..??)

So, you know... She's seen better days cosmetically. The great thing is that the engine hasn't seen much, only ~150kms. It was primarily my moms car to drive/pick us up from school as kids, go visit dad in the city,(living in the burbs of SF at the time) little else. We moved back to Canada and took the car with us, and now my mom bought a Honda accord to replace it.

But yes... Let's say my mom didn't really give it the love it needed on the exterior. (See below).

Here's the rub: I'm willing to put a bit of money into making this car shiny & new again. I'm going to get it detailed/deep cleaned here soon, so it will at least shine, but I want to fix the bumper issue, get something nice for a tailpipe, good license plate mounts, clean up headlight lenses (maybe replace with e-codes), etc. I will consider performance & tuning upgrades in the future, right now I want to focus on spicing up the exterior, make her classy again! Suggestions are appreciated.

I've already pulled and attempted cleaning the fogs, will update with progress. Quick thought on this too: paint those grey grilles? Plastidip perhaps?

I don't know what to do here yet.. But I do want a chrome tailpipe :)

Probably will delete these, one is already broken.

Being the SE, (woohoo!) we get those fancy Suede inserts! Except.. they really did NOT stand the test of time. The rear seats are still in great shape, as the fronts have naturally seen most of the brunt. This is one of the things that I was shocked at the quotes for repair... I've been quoted $200 to $900 per seat. Sh*t. I'm still unsure of how to tackle that. Thoughts so far are either these from elwood, only the arse part. At 180 each, it's still kind of affordable, but I may be looking at an additional 200 buck installation. Junk yards maybe as well, but there are seriously zero P80 era x70s in my area. There were also some really good condition seat covers I found on ebay (OEM), and the guy said he'd cut me a deal at 400 total for two seats worth, which seemed decent. I'm not sure about the colour code though, my car might be light beige and these might be "taupe". I find it really hard to tell on the internet of course. Anyone with seat repair/replacement experience on these cars please chime in!

At least it's still comfortable...

She's a real beauty of a car. I think that the saddest part is there's a damn automatic in there. I'm no mechanic, so I couldn't trust me to do it myself. That is an item I would spend a pretty penny on... I was originally going to buy a VW for my first ride, before my mom made me an offer I couldn't refuse on buying her car(it's not a monetary arrangement :thumbup: ). At this point, if I can keep price down a little bit and get this car to a state where I would really love it, I will keep it until it doesn't run anymore. However, if the manual swap doesn't work out, I could foresee selling the Volvo and buying something manual. I think economically it makes more sense to keep this one with how little I have in so far. Sadly, I'm like most of you, and I am killer when it comes to details. Things that don't work properly or that are partially broken/hacked together just don't work for me. It's an expensive syndrome.

I will be back soon with updates. The first items on the list are sound mods, fog lights, dash switch lights, shifter light, and a good cleaning. Will get back with updates. Later 'mates!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Don't worry about the external looks, trust me you'll be happier that way. Get it running great and just drive the crap outta it

·
Registered
957 Posts
Do the fog grilles just pull right out?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't worry about the external looks, trust me you'll be happier that way. Get it running great and just drive the crap outta it

This is the best advice you will get here or anywhere. Spend your time and money on all the mechanical stuff that needs attention on any 18 year old car...but that's not what you want to hear, is it?

I would scour the junkyards and ebay for seat covers, or buy a set from these folks. Gotta have nice seats!

http://elwoodindustries.com/index.html

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do the fog grilles just pull right out?
^I believe so, it's just figuring that part out. I was able to snap off the bottom clips, but I think they might be screwed on somewhere.

This is the best advice you will get here or anywhere. Spend your time and money on all the mechanical stuff that needs attention on any 18 year old car...but that's not what you want to hear, is it?

I would scour the junkyards and ebay for seat covers, or buy a set from these folks. Gotta have nice seats!

http://elwoodindustries.com/index.html
It is a truth, It's looking like I will have to do the timing belt, which will definitely eat a few dollars of my budget. However, would it be expensive to have the front bumper repainted? I'm not even super concerned about the dents/scratches themselves, I feel like if it was all the same colour it would be much harder to discern.

Dont! Just keep it as it is... A true M.LF SOCCER MOM MINIVAN car... good the way it was!

XC70 2011 D5

Crossing countries.... what are you saying about my mother?? :saber: hahaha

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You are gonna be really pissed if you blow a wad
making it look nice and then have it break down...

Search "Stage 0". Spend some time and money on
all of that boring stuff no one sees that makes it go.
THEN worry about lipstick and mascara.

It may not sound very cool, but it's the tedious foundational
work that gets your pretty car out where you can show it off.
Pay for it now or pay for it later - It's an old car and the running
gear is gonna need some love. Start some lists!

·
Registered
637 Posts
As someone who sweats the small stuff regarding cosmetics, I feel your pain. If these cars are hard to find in the junkyards where you are, your best bet might be to find a parts car and cannibalize the bumpers from it.

Don't be afraid to work on the car yourself. Having shops do everything for you is a great way to go bankrupt as a Volvo owner. Fortunately, they're pretty easy to work on and there are writeups out there describing how to do almost any job you can think of.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Where in BC are you?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You probably get better junkyard finds then we do. All the Pick n' Pulls here closed. The only ones left with Volvos are European only yards and they are really expensive...
Or Japanese only yards... lots of Japanese only yards

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That's why I filled my basement with parts :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
You are gonna be really pissed if you blow a wad
making it look nice and then have it break down...

Search "Stage 0". Spend some time and money on
all of that boring stuff no one sees that makes it go.
THEN worry about lipstick and mascara.

It may not sound very cool, but it's the tedious foundational
work that gets your pretty car out where you can show it off.
Pay for it now or pay for it later - It's an old car and the running
gear is gonna need some love. Start some lists!

Again, sound advice from BEJ. You also need to learn to do your own work, or you will spend a whole lotta money, ending up with a $6000, $1200 car!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I would make sure all the mechanical problem spots are done before dumping money into the exterior. Timing belt, pcv, drop the oil pan and clean it, ball joints, bushings, mounts, brakes, etc.. And then, after its mechanically perfect, then if you still have any money left, start on the body. You can get a chrome exhaust tip if you want to start out small lol.. But like others have said, do the work yourself, you'll save thousands. If you're not going to do the mechanical work, also don't do the exterior just drive it til it leaves you stranded and leave it there haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the volvo community!

Some quick classy recommendations for the exterior that I enjoy is swapping to a eggcrate grille and changing the stock headlights to some c70 jeweled headlights. They are by far my favorite and cleans the front up really well. You could also switch to projectors which IPD and EuroSport sell but I think the Jewels are much "classier". I also think that the v70r bumper swap would class up the front and make it look more aggressive.

I agree with the other comments too make sure it mechanical sound as I focused on exterior first and later on spend quite a bit of money and time to get my engine running good.

Here's a couple pics of my setup to hopefully give you ideas...definitely don't consider my car very "classy" but this give you a perspective on what you can do.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts