SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i'm new to this forum and i'm looking for help...
the remote will not open the trunk. just suddenly stopped working. i looked for info on line and most of the volvos s40 has a cable inside the trunk that will open in such situation. for my surprise, my Volvo do not have such cable inside the trunk. i crawled in, pop off the isolation of the hood, no release cable to be found. allso nothing sims to be pinched between the looking mechanism.
any help would be very much appreciated.
regards,
nick, ontario, canada

·
Registered
169 Posts
For what ever reason . In the past I have read that the Canadian models don't have the emergency release cable. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a USA safety law. It stinks though because this car is known to have problems with the wires to trunk release going bad. Not sure what the solution for you is. I don't think repairing/replacing the wiring that always goes bad is going to be easy with the trunk closed.
Too bad they did away with the key to unlock the trunk.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had this happen to me when the wiring went on my car. Take the insulation/cover off the inside of the interior of the trunk then disconnect the trunk latch (there's an electrical connector and a couple of 10mm bolts) then push the trunk up. Once you have the trunk up you can use a spare battery and jump two of the electrical connections in the trunk latch connector to get the trunk latch off of the lock. If you think it's the wiring you can split open the loom where the wiring flexes and make a temporary repair. If you think it's the trunk latch that's the problem you can usually tap it with a hammer to get it to work again for a bit. If you're looking to replace the trunk latch you can replace it with the newer version that has a manual trunk latch release.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had this exact problem a couple of months ago. As above, unbolt the locking mechanism from the trunk(boot) and push it open.

I had a broken wire in the flexible rubber section that runs from the body to the trunk lid, a quick fix with new wire and solder and it was good as new.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you're still stuck, bring 12V power and ground leads in with you. The electric motor actuator just operates when it gets juice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts