SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 XC90 2.5T AWD. Its my daily commute which is not far.

My wife calls it "the slug" (she has a V8 XC90 at present) - any suggestions on what upgrades from IPD, Viva etc I could add to give it a bit more oomph?

Its in reasonable condition and no plans to upgrade it yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
These trucks are heavy. Get the 2006 and up v8, there are some that show up on the market for under 10k. Best car I have ever owned, smooth ride, space when needed, and power on demand, that is not obnoxious, too big to park, and gets good mpg foe a v8 with over 300hp.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
The 2.5T engine can actually make decent power. To do it right, you would need a bigger turbo, custom free-flowing exhaust (including downpipe), possibly bigger fuel injectors, HD TCV (from IPD), and then a software re-map via IPD or others. Tuning Volvo 5-cylinder turbo engines is a pretty well-established practice. The 2.5T isn't the ideal starting point, but it'll do. Remember, the 2004-2007 S60R had fundamentally the same 5-cylinder turbo engine as your XC90 does, and it made 300 hp from the factory. With these mods, you would lose some low-end torque, but the thing would really scoot once the turbo spools up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What would be your investment? Sounds north of $3000.00 and when would you break even on the value of your investment? You could trade it in on a v8 and have an engine and transmission that is not being burdened and pushed to its upper limits to make 300hp. The v8 cruises at highway speeds at 2000-2500 rpm. A turbo doesnt kick in until higher rpms, you have turbo lag, and spooling, cooling and oil consumption to worry about. Just my two cents. At the end of the day the truck is heavy, and well built.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Strip everything not essential out of it... Seats, door cards, spare tire, carpet lol.. Its a heavy car. I would get the v8 over dealing with the headache of trying to make a 2.5 fast. I have a 2.5 and it's slow. But it's reliable and works. My girlfriends t5 s40 is fast. That's what I should get if I wanted fast. That extra 1500 lbs really makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
These trucks are heavy. Get the 2006 and up v8, there are some that show up on the market for under 10k. Best car I have ever owned, smooth ride, space when needed, and power on demand, that is not obnoxious, too big to park, and gets good mpg foe a v8 with over 300hp.

Truck :confused::screwy::facepalm:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Referring to vehicle weight: 7-seat, 8-cyl, AWD6080 lbs
Please unscrew face from palm.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have a 2003 XC90 2.5T AWD. Its my daily commute which is not far.

My wife calls it "the slug" (she has a V8 XC90 at present) - any suggestions on what upgrades from IPD, Viva etc I could add to give it a bit more oomph?

Its in reasonable condition and no plans to upgrade it yet.
Get a nice R K24 Turbo, Green Injectors and a Hilton Tune. Should put you close to 300HP and will not make it the "Slug" anymore. I plan on doing this to my XC90 I bought today. Scored it for $900 because it needs a engine. Even had brand new tires just put on it.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It will handle it just fine. Same Transmission in my VR Handles it. Same Transmission in my T5 handles it. I only plan on running 1.1 BAR of boost (about 16psi on a stage 1 tune). It will at least get out of its own way and smoke a V8.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Same AWD that is in the R's. Yes they can fail in any car. Automatics a little less so than the manual trans R's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts