SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my long drives I want to be able to select from a large collection of music, but XC90 made it more difficult than before

1) The main problem is that from some strange reasons it is unable to recognise folders and subfolders - this would be the easiest way I hoped for (genre - subgenre - artist - album etc.). This is really weird and for example my XC70 2014 can easily do it. Why not XC90 ??? It is SO easy and clear to make the collection in this way and to browse between folders and subfolders structure. Comparing to the dreadful iTunes and the frustrating Apple way ...

2) To put hundreds/thousands tracks on USB flash without folders and subfolders is a kind of mess a such. But Ok. The problem is that you can spend time and effort and make perfect ID3 tags and yet in many cases it is a mess: for example each track in an album often shows as one separate album (which is silly) etc. So even this does not work perfectly and easily

3) Using Carplay Spotify - here there is the same problem with folders and subfolders: the car does not see them - only the first level of folders and only separate playlists within, nothing further. All my previous effort I made in Spotify (folders and subfolders within playlists) is useless now and nothing below the first folder can be seen

4) Using iPod - this is something I would really like to avoid, because for me the way you put files there, you want to change something, erase etc. is extremely annoying (all that synchronisation with iTunes etc.). And besides - I just sold my iPod few days ago, because I thought I would never need it in my XC90, using an easy USB flash disc

So I really don't know ... how is it supposed to work straightforward and easily ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
You're holding it wrong! Sensus is not supposed to be a direct mirror of your device! Organization is a feature, and the fewer features there are, the safer it is to use your car's entertainment system...

Car makers have a *long* way to go still to catch up with intuitive design. Interestingly, almost all of the "safety features" make driving significantly less safe. My favorite example is Lexus' choice to disable navigation input while driving... In practice, people end up going through hoops to do what they want. I often believe that the day a car maker allows for an open app ecosystem, we'll quickly find a much better balance between safe and intuitive design.

Back to your question: my understanding is that you have to use voice to do most of the things you want.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First - if it worked in the latest XC70, why suddenly not in XC90 ? What is safer in desperately looking something in the mess of inaccurate ID3 tags, lost tracks than clearly and quickly find what you want within folders and subfolders you made ?

Voice commands ? :) Nice joke ... it never works

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
First - if it worked in the latest XC70, why suddenly not in XC90 ? What is safer in desperately looking something in the mess of inaccurate ID3 tags, lost tracks than clearly and quickly find what you want within folders and subfolders you made ?

Voice commands ? :) Nice joke ... it never works
Unfortunately, voice commands via Siri seem to be one of the best solutions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I connect my iPhone, don't activate your carplay yet, and switch it to iPod, seems working OK, it even plays music from other apps

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the meantime I tried to play with it and to make large music library playable in this car. One thing is sure - here it does not work as "Explorer" so you cannot see the direct folder/subfolder structure (as for example in XC70)

You need to make proper ID tags everywhere and then it will see files even in subfolders etc.

BUT - not all of them. And this is the frustrating lottery. You make perfect ID tags (for genres, artists, albums etc.) and some of it is simply not displayed in the car. With no obvious reason. It IS on that USB disc, you can see and play it everywhere else, but not there. You can check the tags, re-write them, put it out of subfolder etc. - no help, will not be displayed there. That's really annoying a lot.

Another thing is that it plays FLAC files (nice), but suddenly with some album with proper FLACs you get a message "not supported format". It is the same FLAC as in the other albums that are played normally, but this is not supported. And plays without a problem on any other device.

What is also a bit annoying is the fact that you insert USB stick and it starts playing automatically the first piece in alphabet order - but nobody asked for anything to be played yet. I wonder if this behaviour can be stopped somewhere in settings.

Any experience and solutions in this area ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
In the meantime I tried to play with it and to make large music library playable in this car. One thing is sure - here it does not work as "Explorer" so you cannot see the direct folder/subfolder structure (as for example in XC70)

You need to make proper ID tags everywhere and then it will see files even in subfolders etc.

BUT - not all of them. And this is the frustrating lottery. You make perfect ID tags (for genres, artists, albums etc.) and some of it is simply not displayed in the car. With no obvious reason. It IS on that USB disc, you can see and play it everywhere else, but not there. You can check the tags, re-write them, put it out of subfolder etc. - no help, will not be displayed there. That's really annoying a lot.

Another thing is that it plays FLAC files (nice), but suddenly with some album with proper FLACs you get a message "not supported format". It is the same FLAC as in the other albums that are played normally, but this is not supported. And plays without a problem on any other device.

What is also a bit annoying is the fact that you insert USB stick and it starts playing automatically the first piece in alphabet order - but nobody asked for anything to be played yet. I wonder if this behaviour can be stopped somewhere in settings.

Any experience and solutions in this area ?
In another similar thread we learned that the XC90 struggles with files that have long filenames or file paths. Try shortening the filename and see if the tracks begin to show.

I'll try to find a link to that thread and post it here.

Edited to add: as promised...see post #41 in this thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=285009

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've struggling with the same issue. I've made playlists and added them to the USB. Works fine, although you have to update playlist every time you add music and you don't have the instance access to individual music other systems offer.

You're holding it wrong! Sensus is not supposed to be a direct mirror of your device! Organization is a feature, and the fewer features there are, the safer it is to use your car's entertainment system...
You must be working in the IT-business? They always think they know what is best for customers, withou asking anyone... ;)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In another similar thread we learned that the XC90 struggles with files that have long filenames or file paths. Try shortening the filename and see if the tracks begin to show.
Yes, this seems to be the issue ... well, shortening the file names takes some time, but it seems to solve the problem

Now I would like to find out why some FLACs play and some are "unsupported format"

Automatic playback of the first piece in alphabetical order when inserting the USB stick is also something that needs to be tamed

I can also see the column "playlists" in the Sensus. I wonder how the playlist can be created there or how it can be imported (what format and how to create them for playing in XC90)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is an example of FLAC file that Sensus considers as "unsupported format" (and there are many like this). I really don't know why. It normally plays everywhere else without any problem www.savitamusic.com/links/Dupre.zip

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here is an example of FLAC file that Sensus considers as "unsupported format" (and there are many like this). I really don't know why. It normally plays everywhere else without any problem www.savitamusic.com/links/Dupre.zip
We got this one figured out last night. http://support.volvocars.com/forum/topic413-experience-with-playing-music-from-usb-stick.aspx?lastpage=1#post1808

Basically, Sensus can't handle FLAC files that are built with an ID3 tag present in the file before the Flac identifier. Although it's a supported FLAC format, Sensus can't read it, so it's a Sensus incompatibility. The solution is either to strip-out the ID3 tag or re-convert from FLAC-to-FLAC.

·
Registered
249 Posts
This sounds like nothing is really "figured out" if you have to reconfigure files to play them on your car...this is an extreme measure and a problem that volvo needs to remedy IMHO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the XC90 support apple lossless files on a USB disk? My music library is organized nicely into folders. And I would prefer to copy folders to a USB stick.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apple lossless does not seem to play there ..

As mentioned, there are two ways how to overcome Sensus shortcomings:

1) to shorten file names (file with too long names will not be displayed)

2) to do Flac - to - Flac conversion in case of some Flac files being displayed as "unsupported"

I wish the automatic playback when inserting USB stick (the first track in alphabetical order) could be be stopped. Also the automatic playback of the last piece when starting the car

·
Registered
96 Posts
This sounds like nothing is really "figured out" if you have to reconfigure files to play them on your car...this is an extreme measure and a problem that volvo needs to remedy IMHO
What I mean is that we understand why Sensus won't play the file as configured. I didn't suggest for a second that it was an acceptable work-around for an obvious Sensus software defect. If we had a decent understanding of what was causing all of the problems we've encountered so far, we could at least devise reasonable workarounds until Volvo addresses the problems.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Understood and agree !

:)
What I mean is that we understand why Sensus won't play the file as configured. I didn't suggest for a second that it was an acceptable work-around for an obvious Sensus software defect. If we had a decent understanding of what was causing all of the problems we've encountered so far, we could at least devise reasonable workarounds until Volvo addresses the problems.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started using a bit voice commands when selecting music and it is interesting (you don't have to repeatedly tap on the display which is not good when driving). But I don't understand much the logic: you say for example - "play Oscar Peterson" and the system offers you few albums you have there, you select one, but it does not start playing the album in the real order of tracks, but rather randomly (from the middle of the album etc.). Or you say "play xy song from ab album" - it finds it, but the next songs that follow are not much related. How to make it working nicely and logically ? So that it starts playing album in the proper order and when you select a song that other songs on that album simply follow ? Etc.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just went through this

Funny this thread just came up to the top, I just went through this last night myself.

My solution: Playlists, playlists, playlists. I'll post a script when I get home one day and actually have time after kids go to bed to make it a little more user friendly, but basically using autohotkey I modified a script that creates m3u playlist for a folder. I made it recursive to create a playlist for every folder going down and save them in a ##.##.##.Name Format. That way when the Sensus "playlist" tab sorts them, I have a de-facto folder structure with each playlist on there including every single song from all folders under it. So my layout is effectively Person -> Type - > Album so i have folders like:

Wife - Dance - Albums
Wife - Hard - Albums
Wife - Chill - Albums
Me - ...
Kids - ...

The Wife, Me, Kids playlists sit up top so that its easy to change music style with relatively few touches.

How this will work once I have more than a few hundred songs I'm not sure, but so far it's got the wife's seal of approval.
Crazy I had to go through this in 2016 on a car like this, but such is life.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Funny this thread just came up to the top, I just went through this last night myself.

My solution: Playlists, playlists, playlists. I'll post a script when I get home one day and actually have time after kids go to bed to make it a little more user friendly, but basically using autohotkey I modified a script that creates m3u playlist for a folder. I made it recursive to create a playlist for every folder going down and save them in a ##.##.##.Name Format. That way when the Sensus "playlist" tab sorts them, I have a de-facto folder structure with each playlist on there including every single song from all folders under it. So my layout is effectively Person -> Type - > Album so i have folders like:

Wife - Dance - Albums
Wife - Hard - Albums
Wife - Chill - Albums
Me - ...
Kids - ...

The Wife, Me, Kids playlists sit up top so that its easy to change music style with relatively few touches.

How this will work once I have more than a few hundred songs I'm not sure, but so far it's got the wife's seal of approval.
Crazy I had to go through this in 2016 on a car like this, but such is life.
Thanks for the information. Would it be possible for you to do a step-by-step process for those of us who need a "Volvo USB Music for Dummies" guide?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now, let me ask a stupid question - how do I import a playlist into Sensus or how do I create one to be used there ? There are playlists in Spotify, iTunes (that I do not use), Foobar2000 etc. But I really don't know how to have, import or create playlists in Sensus ... :) Thanks for a possible advice ...

1 - 20 of 120 Posts