SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our XC is back at the body shop (they screwed up the window alignment during the hail repair) and I won't be able to get it until tonight.
I want to have them lock the keys in the car, but I know these newer cars make things so idiot proof that it's hard to do.

Is there a way to lock the keys in the XC because I'm sure I will need to tell them how to do it. :D

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,776 Posts
Page 70 of the online Owner's Manual for 2014 XC60 says the Remote key (not the PCC) can be locked inside the vehicle by using the central locking button to lock the vehicle.

I originally postulated that in order to lock the PCC inside the vehicle it would have to be shielded to prevent it from communicating with the vehicle. That is true. I wrapped a PCC in heavy duty tin foil and found that it was no longer recognized by the vehicle.

I discovered that in the case of the PCC the central locking button (driver and passenger doors) cannot be used to lock the vehicle if you are outside the vehicle and the driver or passenger door is open. If you are inside the vehicle with the PCC and the doors are closed, the central locking button can be used to lock the vehicle.

So, if you have a Remote key, it can be locked inside the vehicle by using the central locking button or as explained below by others.

If you have a PCC, there is no way to lock it inside the vehicle (unless you wrap it in tin foil and use the other PCC to lock the vehicle... which make absolutely no sense at all). [What Yannis said.]

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
If it isn't going to rain, maybe pop the sunroof and drop them in?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Ohhh, forgot about keyless entry.

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have the second set to get it...just wanted to make sure there was a way they could actually lock it inside.

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy enough.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Open a rear door, lock the key with the remote. put the key inside the car and shut the door.

Michael
Agreed, ran into this before and did the same steps. Lock it with a door open and then shut it in there, will blink like you are locking it when the door is shut and the hammers of thor will drop closing the locks :).

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Agreed, ran into this before and did the same steps. Lock it with a door open and then shut it in there, will blink like you are locking it when the door is shut and the hammers of thor will drop closing the locks :).
If the car has PCC, you will not be able to lock the car with any keys inside. I was never able to accomplish that.

Better to hide the keys under the front/rear bumper.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If the car has PCC, you will not be able to lock the car with any keys inside. I was never able to accomplish that.

Better to hide the keys under the front/rear bumper.
If that was true then you could never lock the car while you're driving it around... with the keys obviously inside.

If none of the suggestions so far work, put the keys in the car, ignition position 1 (accessory).
Put the drivers window down. Exit car. Lock the doors (reach through the window).
Trigger the "auto up" of the window (reach through the window, exit quickly though!)
You should now have the keys locked inside. Ignition Position 1 shouldn't cause any issues. Pretty sure it "times out" after an hour or so anyway to avoid battery drain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts