SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there all i recently purchased a silver 2005 S60 R ,and im used to driving a front wheel drive s40 t5 ,wat revs ect must u have the S60 R at to launch it properly off the line ?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: HOW TO LAUNCH A S60 R OFF THE LINE PROPERLY (SA-R)

Okay here is my take.

1. The R drive train is delicate in comparison and does have some weak components, angle gear, spline sleeve, etc

2. If you are going to do a (controlled) launch you will want DSTC reduced or go the full 5 press method and switch to antiskid off!

3. There is no need to launch above 2500 RPMs. Between 2k & 2.5k should be sufficient, find the RPM in that range that you are comfortable with. A controlled clutch release is vital to drive train longevity.

4. The way the R was designed was more a track / auto cross car. Not an all out drag strip racer.

Hope you take this advice as from personal experiance and forum / web research I would take this as text book info... Good Luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rev up to around 4 thousand RPMs and dump the clutch and be on your way.... Nevermind that's an STI; I agree with Needsdecaf dont!

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
Congrats to those of you who have been able to do it. The one and only time I ever dragged my car, it was 3 or 4 passes, and I could not get below a 2.2 60'. I don't have what it takes to launch this car, lol.

But after seeing what happened to my collar spline, I will never launch it again.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: (phuz)

DSTC off (5 click method)
Turbo blip around 2k RPMs to get the turbo spooling
Time it so that when you begin to engage the clutch it is while you're on the gas (during the blip)
Ride clutch for a sec until it engages, then punch it

If you want to launch harder, just up the RPMs during the blips - though not recommended...

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
Congrats to those of you who have been able to do it. The one and only time I ever dragged my car, it was 3 or 4 passes, and I could not get below a 2.2 60'. I don't have what it takes to launch this car, lol.

But after seeing what happened to my collar spline, I will never launch it again.

I guess I need to make mine explode before the warranty runs out...

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
Re: (GiRaff3)

Quote, originally posted by GiRaff3 »

I guess I need to make mine explode before the warranty runs out...

Indeed!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

Indeed!

I will be going to Cecil again before the end of the season...when will your rice burner be ready?

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GiRaff3 »

I will be going to Cecil again before the end of the season...when will your rice burner be ready?

The 240/2jz has been running and is extremely strong at only 8psi of boost. Once I have the mapping tuned to a level that I deem "safe," I will run it at 15psi and hope for 450rwhp and a nice low 12 second pass on drag radials.

Next time you're in the area, let me know and we'll take it out for a spin, lol

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

The 240/2jz has been running and is extremely strong at only 8psi of boost. Once I have the mapping tuned to a level that I deem "safe," I will run it at 15psi and hope for 450rwhp and a nice low 12 second pass on drag radials.

Next time you're in the area, let me know and we'll take it out for a spin, lol

word.

·
Registered
649 Posts

Give it a few tries and figure out how much throttle and clutch you need to launch it properly without bogging down.

Too little throttle with too much clutch and you'll bog.

Too much throttle with too much clutch slip...oooh you'll know it (and smell it)

Once you get use to it, it's really not that hard on the clutch. I'm down to 2.0 sec 60' times and 8.70 1/8 miles. Will be on the 1/4 next week Wednesday at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI. Rumor has it that it's only in the 60's up there, so it should make for some good passes!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: (Denis)

Quote, originally posted by Denis »
You guys bring so much confidence to buyers looking for good used vehicles.

People looking to buy used 300hp cars probably want to have fun with them, this is important.

Not to mention that everyone still in warranty should beat the crap out of the drive train, as sooner or later we'll hit Volvo's cost/benefit threshold for a recall

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (Denis)

Quote, originally posted by Denis »
You guys bring so much confidence to buyers looking for good used vehicles.

1. Like our cars have any resale.
2. MINUSWHALE enjoy them why we can? AMIRITE?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: (S60R1)

Quote, originally posted by S60R1 »
DSTC off (5 click method)

Okay so I'm still trying to figure this out? I tried this meathod both fast sequential presses (as in the manual) and all i get is DSTC reduced but nothing as if it is totally disabled. Then i tried the long presses and nothing.. how do i know when this is disabled?

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Re: (Token Blk Guy)

Quote, originally posted by Token Blk Guy »

Okay so I'm still trying to figure this out? I tried this meathod both fast sequential presses (as in the manual) and all i get is DSTC reduced but nothing as if it is totally disabled. Then i tried the long presses and nothing.. how do i know when this is disabled?

Just keep pressing it, just look at the screen.

It'll just say DTSC OFF, instead of reduced.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »

Just keep pressing it, just look at the screen.

It'll just say DTSC OFF, instead of reduced.

This could be a great time to make a little youtube video with Top Gear's little thing about the country that broke the Enigma Code, and then do a quick demonstration of turning DSTC off with the 5 simple button presses...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.