SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what i think is cv grease splashing on my passanger underside area. It really got all over where the vacuum lines for the cbv are.

I also have a clicking sound while driving. I hear it when there is a wall or even house next to me. it sounds somewhat like a zip tie in the spokes of a bicycle.

I believe its my cv going out on that side but if anyone could chime in on there thoughts on the sound that would be awesome.

I get no clunking or bumping when turning, just the constant ticking while driving.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A> check your motor mount, those will break and are responsible for leaking and cause all sorts of noises (you can open the hood and check the sticky for what it looks like to have a blown mount). B> visually inspect your CV joint/ boot to determine if thats the source if your motor mount looks good. (Typically the boot will tear like I stated in the other thread).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i replaced all the motor mounts. The boot looks ok but idk where else the grease came from. im mostly looking for what the clicking sound is from

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
always, turning or straight line.

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
My boot wasn't torn, but the clamp started to loosen, so grease was getting out from the boot. The clicking makes me suspicious of a bad CV.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I would check the tires to make sure you didn't pick up a pebble or nail first. If you've lost all the CV grease and contaminants managed to get inside the joint, then failure is likely.

You can jack the entire front end up and spin the tires slowly to see if you can pin point the source of this clicking.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i did the spin the tire and i couldnt here anything. the ticking does not increse or decrease frequency with speed change. could this be acc belt or tensioner? i had the timing belt done but not acc. they said it was fine

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I removed my front lower control arm to measure the ball joint and verify that the bushing were worn and I noticed the axle spline and bearing was dry. I greased everything back up and viola ticking is gone. I think I will do the other three tmrw. So problem solved. I think just removeing the bolt to the spline and shoving some grease in there would even do the trick for people in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts