SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new wheelbearing sitting in front of me but i'll need some info or pics on how to install it.

It seems straight forward but I'd appreciate some info.

1. remove wheel, calipers rotors

2. remove 4 bolts that hold the wheel bearing in place.

3. reinstall everything.

Am I missing anything?

I'll do a write-up once I get around to it next weekend.

thanks in advance

V/R

Miko

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
um, your missing a whole lot there. It's not as easy as you describe it (although not much harder). The 4 bolts are not all accessible, and you either have to unbolt the lower control arm or you will need to jack up the spindle so that the lower control arm moves a little out of the way. You also need to push out the rear drive axle...

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey rear wheel bearing is really not that hard at all makes it alot easier if you have an air hammer, to get that hub/bearing assembly off..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1. remove wheel, calipers rotors
Yep, easy. Two bolts on the back of the calipers, bungee or zip tie caliper safely out of the way. Remove rotor. Important: Make sure parking brake is not on or you will not be able to take the rotor off. Use wheel chocks and jack stands!!!

^ ziptie is green on the left side. This picture is with the rotor and wheel hub removed already.
2. remove 4 bolts that hold the wheel bearing in place.
Three bolts are easy, one is a little tough to get to. Use a box wrench from the bottom to access it easily.

3. reinstall everything.

Am I missing anything?
Properly torque your lugs and wheel bearing bolts. Lugs are 102 lb-ft, bolts are 80-something.

As you can see, the wheel bearing assembly sits inside of the brake. Be careful when reinstalling the rotor to put it on nice and straight so it doesn't jam on the parking brake shoes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES!!! Thanks for the pics, and thanks for the torque specs on the lugs, bolts are 80 lb-ft for sure. I have a good set of swivels and extensions, should be a breezy.

Thanks for the info guys, expect more to come haha

V/R

Miko

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The install isn't bad, except for that last bolt hidden behind the control arm. Use plenty of PB Blaster if the hub is siezed to it's mounting point on the suspension. Mine was a beast to get off.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
lol sorry LOL

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but you don't have to push the rear axle out, right? The hub and bearing slide out to the outside of the car, and the new one is slid in, mating with the axle splines. Correct?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but you don't have to push the rear axle out, right? The hub and bearing slide out to the outside of the car, and the new one is slid in, mating with the axle splines. Correct?
eehhh... sort of. The hub (#4) is mounted to the knuckle (#5), which is attached to the suspension components. The hub is really easy to remove as long as nothing is seized.

PS- in case you guys haven't noticed, I've been stealing a lot of Tasca's bandwidth :D. Maybe they should think about shipping my order.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Reviving a dead thread because I just spent the last 1/2 hour trying to remove the hub from the spindle, and it hasn't moved a bit. It's not going well :)
I've been PB blasting the hell out of it and whacking it with a hammer. An air hammer would come in nice right now.

If anyone has any tricks that weren't posted in tomedkaz's thread, I'd love to hear them!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts