SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked the service department at Rickenbaugh Volvo in Denver, CO, several times without success to fix my issue, and now that I've moved to Waco, TX, will be taking the car into Garlyn Shelton Volvo in Temple, TX for the 70 K miles service, and trying to get this resolved, again.

Most of the time when I'm at a dead stop, then press on the gas to move forward the car jerks into gear (almost like a manual transmission where you rev up the engine, then release the clutch) and there's a real hard jerk through the drive train. This also happens when I'm driving, briefly slow down (not stopping), then accelerate, and I get that jerk again as it seems to downshift. This jerk is really solid and mechanical feeling and can be felt by passengers as well as driver. I've had several others drive my car and they all feel the same thing, so I know it's not my imagination or anything.

Also, If in P and shift to R or D (or even just between R and D or vice-versa), many times there is a really obvious clunk or jerk coming from the drive train, like a real rough shifting or the gears moving suddenly and jerking or some kinda slop in the drive train that produces an obvious mechanical noise and sensation.

Car seems fine under normal driving and will shift up and down smoothly, except for these specific actions.

With Rickenbaugh, I brought this up ever since my 30 K miles service, and typically had to pay for a "diagnosis" fee--so basically they'd charge me to check the transmission...but then tell me this is normal, and do absolutely nothing to fix it. I've had the car since new, and it was always smooth-shifting with no jerks until ~25-30 K miles, and it's steadily gotten worse. I've owned a LOT of cars, and never had this issue with any of them, and absolutely this is not normal.

What do I need to do with Volvo to make them resolve this issue? I'm waiting for something to break due to them not fixing the issue. I do have the Platinum service contract coverage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Very common issue. While you didn't mention your powertrain, I'm assuming you have the aisin tf60sc transmission in your car. Both of my Volvo's have it, both have / had the issue (15V60RD, 13XC60, both have T6). A calibration change for the V60 changed the shift speed threshold to 6 mph rather than 1 or two mph (likely where yours shifts). The XC still has the 1mph shift speed for some reason, though. Not sure why the lessons learned aren't carried through each vehicle line but whatever.

The biggest issue a dealership has is replicating an issue the customer describes that's NOT a common issue. If they feel the shift bump your describing, likely they're fairly used to it and don't pay it any mind.

Typically my process for having anything repaired is to physically show them the issue. You can describe it, demonstrate it and get their feedback all in one trip. Honestly, I wouldn't even waste my time describing the issue to the service writer as they cannot properly convey it to the mechanic.

So. Take your car in, show the tech what your car is doing and suggest they take a look at any open TJ's (technical journals) regarding shift quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
It's also worth noting that the issue on my car lead to the transmission needing replacement....

·
Registered
578 Posts
My car did the same thing as yours. Volvo said there is a recommended trans flush at 50K miles and the transmission is reset at that time. My 2013 had 52K on the clock and after mine was serviced, the jerkiness stopped along with the surge in first gear.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My car did the same thing as yours. Volvo said there is a recommended trans flush at 50K miles and the transmission is reset at that time. My 2013 had 52K on the clock and after mine was serviced, the jerkiness stopped along with the surge in first gear.
i thought these were lifetime tranny oil? :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
2012 s60,t5. I did a complete drain, flush, refill after mine started doing the same thing around 53,000. Reset with vida/ dice....i'm at 57,000 now and no repeat of problem.....fingers crossed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have read about these things and called the transmission manufacturer in CA. They said, there is no such thing as forever transmission oil. It has to be changed and not left in forever.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses!!

OK, I don't see any transmission oil replacement done for the 30, 40, 50 or 60 K mile service, so, will bring that up. At the 40 K mile service I show transmission was reset (not sure what that was), so...other than maybe the oil change or the calibration change that emgrock1 mentions, this could require a replacement. I will certainly let them know of this!

Thanks, again!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also...anyone familiar with how good of a service department Garlyn Shelton has? While there's no Volvo dealer in Waco itself, I could go to either Austin or Dallas instead of Temple.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don’t know about the 2013 factory services, but if you have the “lifetime fill” transmission, you probably won’t be able to get the dealership to drain and fill the oil. You may have to find an indie or do it yourself if you have the space. I had a level patch of pavement and four low profile ramps to get under the vehicle. Yes the oil is expensive.

https://youtu.be/EAb9p8Wph-M
https://youtu.be/mIUkqYkmVBo

Note that the guy in the second video didnt have the ignition correct, so he couldn’t reset any transmission parameters. He found out later.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 R-Design Savile Grey
47 Posts
Have a 2012 S60 T6 RD and had the exact same issue. Had 65,000 miles and no trans service. It would hard shift from 3 to 4 when going slowly, hang and clunk after quick acceleration and clunk from 2 to 1, from 1 to 2 and clunk from N to D. Just made the dealership do a fluid flush, trans reset, update and trans adaptation reset. Shifting like new at this point

·
Registered
719 Posts
No dealer in Washington would lol. Even the now closed one in Bellingham.
What do you mean? Bellevue Volvo will do it. They quoted me over $400 for a transmission flush on my 2012, but they'll do it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What do you mean? Bellevue Volvo will do it. They quoted me over $400 for a transmission flush on my 2012, but they'll do it.
Yeah idk what they're talking about. A dealership should have no issue taking your money. If they do, there's something wrong.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah idk what they're talking about. A dealership should have no issue taking your money. If they do, there's something wrong.

Actually I've had that experience here as well. I called two local dealers and they would not do a transmission flush. They said it is not needed.
Mine shifts perfectly so I'm not going to mess with it at this point (82K miles). If it acts up there is a nearby indie that can do it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
yes had same issue on my 2017 inscription s60 and 2018 inscription s90 . After software update issue went away.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Actually I've had that experience here as well. I called two local dealers and they would not do a transmission flush. They said it is not needed.
Mine shifts perfectly so I'm not going to mess with it at this point (82K miles). If it acts up there is a nearby indie that can do it.
I really, really don't believe they would actually refuse. The dealer I called (Bellevue Volvo, outside of Seattle) told me that the flush was not needed and that they did not recommend it. But they also said they could do it if I insisted. If you went in and insisted on it, I'm sure they'd do it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I’ve had the opposite experience. Mine was experiencing a mushy/long 1-2 upshift, dealer insisted the fluid was “burnt” and sold me a flush at 73k. That dealer was HORRIBLE, and the staff there insisted on the flush. Car is CPO, so I threw it back at Volvo since they themselves say it should never need to be done.

Trans is still acting up, flush and several SW attempts/adaptive drives have been done. Trying to get another dealer to replace it now (original dealer closed, thankfully)...

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess I didn’t really press the issue more then a few sentences with the service advisors. If I have to insist on something on a service to get it done I get the impression the dealership doesn’t want to do it and probably won’t do a good job either.

Irregardless, thanks to YouTube I’m setup to do it by myself now.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Subscribing. These 6ATs suck. I've had so many miles of problematic shifting that the transmission has really taken away from my liking this car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts