SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is specific to my set up (eg., a 2011 with the TFT upgrade). I feel like it's not, but ...

Whenever I put my light switch in the vertical position (parking lights) I get an occasional warning message on the TFT to "Reset light position switch" or something like that.

Is there a way to disable this message? I like riding with just parking lights every so often. I also have the LED running lights so when running in "parking light" mode the car looks unique IMHO.

But it's really annoying to have to acknowledge the message every couple of minutes while driving. There seems to be no way I can see to turn it off.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I think it's the LEDs so maybe try a different brand that won't set a code?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think it's the LEDs so maybe try a different brand that won't set a code?
This is not related to the type of lights.
This started happening after swapping the instrument panel from the old analog to the new TFT.
And to answer the original question, I have no idea! It is annoying and really makes no sense.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it started after the TFT upgrade. Must be some logic in there that detects the switch position. It’s annoying but probably designed to help you from leaving your parking lights on. Would be just as useful to just tell me when I power off.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yeah it started after the TFT upgrade. Must be some logic in there that detects the switch position. It’s annoying but probably designed to help you from leaving your parking lights on. Would be just as useful to just tell me when I power off.
More likely it's designed to prevent you from thinking you have your headlights on when you don't. You would not believe how many people I see driving with only their DRLs on at night because they just don't realize they've forgotten to turn their real lights on. With LED gauges these days they don't get the added reminder of a dark instrument cluster to remind them to turn their headlights on.

My guess is that this warning is designed to prevent people from driving with just the parking lights on (which you're technically not supposed to do even though most of us have probably done it intentionally at one time or another). Since the auto on/off in later cars doesn't work when the switch is in the parking light position I'd bet that the warning is fully intended to prevent exactly what the OP is trying to do.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
From a Canadian perspective. My 2012 has a few options on the light switch. Due to Canadian laws they are all pretty much useless. My lights are on all the time, front and back. I have the sensor in the windshield that will cause my dash will go bright in the day and dim in the dark. The newer models have the auto feature built in where LEDs during the day and full lights at night...no option. As zemmervolt mentioned, I can't tell you have many times I have seen people driving around at night with no tail lights and only running light on the front. How oblivious can you possibly be to not know you don't have full lights on?

So, here's a question to the OP. Does the message goes away if the light switch is in an "On" position? If so, then why would you not have the switch permanently set to "On" or to a position that stops the message? If it happens no matter what position, then maybe a trip to a place with VIDA can help, or check the wiring on your TFT upgrade. Have a look at p.rico's thread and make sure you have the two additional wires in the right place and secured.

Apologies if I come across a little blunt. No my intention.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
This message only comes on when the switch is on the parking lights position. It will go away when switched to full headlights.
To answer msmith's questions, I will quote the OP: " I like riding with just parking lights every so often. I also have the LED running lights so when running in "parking light" mode the car looks unique IMHO."
I happen to agree with OP.
Volvo should have programmed it such that this message only comes up when the sensor detects it's dark outside (just like it dims the instrument panel).

·
Registered
719 Posts
This message only comes on when the switch is on the parking lights position. It will go away when switched to full headlights.
To answer msmith's questions, I will quote the OP: " I like riding with just parking lights every so often. I also have the LED running lights so when running in "parking light" mode the car looks unique IMHO."
I happen to agree with OP.
Volvo should have programmed it such that this message only comes up when the sensor detects it's dark outside (just like it dims the instrument panel).
In many places it is technically illegal to drive with just parking lights on. As a convenient example, California vehicle code reads "No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted."

While I'm sure we've all driven with just parking lights (I know I have), I completely understand why Volvo has this set up the way they do. They are in the business of selling safety features and this warning can be framed as a safety feature that helps one avoid breaking the law.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've seen many people get their P2 cars towed in with a dead battery only to find the light switch was set to the parking lights. This reminder may be because of various laws or also to help prevent people from killing their battery by leaving the parking lights on when the car is off. Can't please everyone.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I get the reasons why there is a warning. But it only comes up when I have the new TFT in, not the original dash. So it must be something they thought about after the first model year.

Oh well. I'll have to live with it or find a hack. If VDASH can do it, I'd consider that ... maybe. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts