SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you make the sunroof completely open without holding the button? ('19 S60) The owners manual on page 175 says:
"To open the panoramic roof fully, pull the control backward a third time to the automatic opening position and release."

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2019/S60_OwnersManual_MY19_en-US_TP26449.pdf

I cannot get this to work. My salesperson and the service writer say the only way is to hold the button until fully open.

·
Registered
530 Posts
How do you make the sunroof completely open without holding the button? ('19 S60) The owners manual on page 175 says:
"To open the panoramic roof fully, pull the control backward a third time to the automatic opening position and release."

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2019/S60_OwnersManual_MY19_en-US_TP26449.pdf

I cannot get this to work. My salesperson and the service writer say the only way is to hold the button until fully open.
The mechanism in the new SPA cars is literally trash. It took me forever to teach my mom how to work hers. You must push the mechanism all the way back without accidently tilting it up so the roof doesn't tilt up. Good luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
IIRC, pulling the tab back and holding for 2 seconds or so triggers the rest to keep opening by itself. But even then it only goes 90% of the way back. I have to press again for the last few inches to open. There's also what xc9008 said about not triggering the vent position accidentally.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to have independent control over the shade while the roof's partially open.

Definitely a system that could have used more thinking out.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Push the button backwards... How much more simple can it get? I haven't tried it on an S60 but I can't imagine it being different than the XC90 where you don't have to hold it.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Push the button backwards... How much more simple can it get? I haven't tried it on an S60 but I can't imagine it being different than the XC90 where you don't have to hold it.
It is so easy to also push up the rear end of the button and pop open the sunroof. Even with slim finger it is not easy to do it correctly.

They should design it to push up front end of the button to pop open the sunroof. Then there is no confusion.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I've had literally zero confusion about it and never had any issue getting one to do what I needed it to do. Gotta love forums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've had literally zero confusion about it and never had any issue getting one to do what I needed it to do. Gotta love forums.
I do appreciate each of you taking time to help educate me.

In my defense (and the forum’s), I separately asked the Volvo salesperson and the service writer how to do it. Each of them started by saying you have to hold the switch until it is fully open. Then I showed them what is written in the manual. They each played with it for a while and restated that the switch must be held until fully open. So I can’t agree that there should be no confusion.

I’ll try some more when I get back to the car. Maybe mine isn’t working properly.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The mechanism in the new SPA cars is literally trash. It took me forever to teach my mom how to work hers. You must push the mechanism all the way back without accidently tilting it up so the roof doesn't tilt up. Good luck
I have never had a problem since I started driving SPA cars. I understand the “accidental” tilting but one gets used to it very quickly.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
IIRC, pulling the tab back and holding for 2 seconds or so triggers the rest to keep opening by itself. But even then it only goes 90% of the way back. I have to press again for the last few inches to open.
It is by design. The first stop is what has been determined, in aerodynamic testing, in order to prevent that annoying wind buffeting (especially in wagons and SUVs) which can make you feel like your ears are popping.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to have independent control over the shade while the roof's partially open.
You can’t

Definitely a system that could have used more thinking out.
Everything, in the world, can have this applied. However, I think this works very well and as intended. Don’t forget, before a car gets a final seal of approval, for production, it goes through a lot of consumer group testing and such features have been extensively tested and approved by people like you and me. It’s impossible to have everyone being 100% happy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have never had a problem since I started driving SPA cars. I understand the “accidental” tilting but one gets used to it very quickly.
I got used to it but I think older mechanism was way more user friendly. It works for me. But my mom can never seem to get it the first time in hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since I have two children at the back I also wanted to be able to open the sunroof and have the shade closed above the children as I did on my previous car (a VW Tiguan) which had separate control for the shade. My workaround if it helps you, is that I close completely both the shade and the sunroof and I double click backwards to open them simultaneously. The sunroof opens to the comfort position and I manually stop the operation so the shade also stops rolling back halfway through the roof. Problem is that if I want to fully open the sunroof I can't and also if I need to close it, the shade has to close too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts