1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you will need:

8mm socket
10mm socket
Extension to reach bolts behind trim
Bone tool/butter knife
T25 torx bit

When I bought my car it had a broken fog light which I told the dealership they would have to replace. I had the trim around the fog light off because I was trying to get in there without taking off the bumper but this is not nessecary.

Finally almost 6 weeks later (not becuase of Volvo but because of the dealership not giving a $#!& about their customers after they get paid, it was a Kia dealer) my new fog light is in my possession.

The first step is to get the headlight wipers off. Flip open the plastic cap at the base of the wiper arm to reveal the 8mm bolt. Remove this bolt and then remove the wiper by wiggling it back and forth a bit while pulling. I found mine were a little stuck on but came off with some patient wiggling. Disconnect the washer fluid hose by pulling it off the fitting.

Next open the hood and remove the 6 plastic plug holding the bumper down by depressing the middle section then lifting the whole thing up.

Next remove the trim piece by prying it up gently with a butter knife or a bone tool. Start from the middle and work your way out.

Next look inside the hole in the bumper that was behind the trim peice you just took off. There is a 10mm bolt inside. Remove it. Be careful that you do not drop the bolt it can be a PITA to retrieve form inside this hole.

Now pick which side of the car you want to work on first and turn the wheels to full lock the opposite direction. You are looking for a T25 Torx screw inside the wheel well towards the front of the car.

Back this screw out a few turns. You do not want to remove it but simply loosen it enough that you can pull back and outward on the bumper far enough to unhook it from the piece of plastic that it holds in it place. The second picture shows the piece of plastic that slides back and forth as you turn the torx screw. It is the standart lefty loosey/righty tighty.

The bumper is now unbolted from the car. If you were wokring alone like me at this point you should put something on the ground under the bumper so it doesnt fall and get scratched on your driveway. One side at a time push on the bumper just infront of the wheel well about 10" forward and the bumper will come away from the car. Set the first side down and repeat on the other side. Your car should now look something liek this.

There are also these clips at each corner of the bumper that you will need to remove if you wish to completely remove the bumper from the car. I found I did not need to do this to remove the fog light so I left them in place.

Also dont forget to disconnect the fog lights. Pull the connection up out of its holder and seperate them by pushing in on the metal bar.

Now you have access to the fog light. Simply remove the 2 T25 Torx screws. Hang on to the light when you take out the second one or it will fall.

Now all you need to do is reverse all these steps to install the new light and get the bumper back on the car. I found that working by myself it worked well to lift it into place and then put the two 10mm bolts in the front of the bumper in loosely so that it is held in place but can still be moved around. Next I replaced the 6 plastic plugs by pushing the middle sections up then inserting in holes and then pushing the middle section flush again. Then I closed the hood so I could make sure everything was aligned properly before tightening the bumper down. There are 2 peices that need to be slotted together on each side of the bumper then hook it around the piece of plastic controled by the torx screw in the wheel well and tighten. I guess you might want to check and make sure everything works before tighening it down too. I didnt but it all worked out :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats awesome man Im glad! Ive learned so much form this forum already and Im glad I could give something back!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Nice write up! This was one of the first repairs I did for myself on the caR, with the help of SS of course! On a related side note, I found out the hard way when I put my PIAA bulbs in, that you have to be careful with the wires inside the bulb housing - it is very easy to forget to check that the protecting sleeve is covering the terminal and short your fuse out when you flip the switch on. Of course the fuses for the fogs in my 05 are under the steering column in an awkward position to get to.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm doing this tomorrow! This is an awesome writeup.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ok, so I got to it today. My car didn't have foglights when I bought it [prev. owner took them off cause he broke one and needed to pass inspection. Sigh...]. Install was pretty straight forward, even though I had to McGuiver the mounting screws myself from my garage. I was NOT going to pay the exorbitant amount Volvo charges for the screws.

My car now has fogs! [Coming soon, 6k HID foglights...when I get around to buying the kit!]

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Ok, so I got to it today. My car didn't have foglights when I bought it [prev. owner took them off cause he broke one and needed to pass inspection. Sigh...]. Install was pretty straight forward, even though I had to McGuiver the mounting screws myself from my garage. I was NOT going to pay the exorbitant amount Volvo charges for the screws.

My car now has fogs! [Coming soon, 6k HID foglights...when I get around to buying the kit!]

It's awesome to see such a clean set of fogs, mine are despicable! Will be looking into replacements soon! Great work front end looks great!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It'll look even better soon when I get my chrome LP frames from IPD!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you for the great instructions.
I took my front bumper completely off this weekend, and have a few extra tips for those taking it entirely off:

1) I would take out the two 25 torx screws in the wheel wells first and come back to the piece of plastic that slides back and forth later, as noted above in the explanation above. My reasons for this are two fold:
a) if you have to turn the car on to drive forward or reverse in order to get the wheels to turn, as I did, I prefer to do it with the hood down so as to avoid inadvertently smashing my open hood into anything, and
b) if you leave the torx scews till last and have to turn the car on to drive forward or reverse, you will want to have a very brave friend (or in my case a pissed-off fianceé) holding the bumper onto the car while it moves, to ensure it doesn’t fall off in a weird way when you stop the car / brake.

2) I did not find that full wheel deflection was necessary to get at the 25 torx screws, but some minor deflection was definitely required.

3) In my case the clips located in the corners of the bumper that you remove before detaching fog lights resembled one of the six little plastic pop-up rivets / plastic plugs that you release by depressing the middle of… may have be an incorrect install by a dealer doing some repair.

4) If you are taking the bumper all the way off, when you come back to the piece of plastic that slides-back-and-forth (you do not need the wheels deflected to get to it) make sure you push it all the way back, and that you are certain the bumper has cleared it cleanly on both sides before tugging on the bumper to completely remove it. You could inadvertently rip the slid-back-and-forth piece out of its track or break it very easily if you are not careful to make sure the portion of the bumper that hooks into it has cleared over it as you pull the bumper completely off. Without you to pull the bumper out and away from the slides-back-and0-fourth piece as you slide the bumper off it is very likely the bumper will catch on it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I had seen this post before and I'd just like to thank the OP for making this because it was very helpful. Back in the snow storm of 2010 my right fog light went out and the housing was messed up (couldn't just remove bulb) so I just left it. So literally for the past several years I have not used my fogs :( Can't just have one on, that'd be crazy. Then this past winter the plastic grille cover fell out somewhere, I have no idea. Now I was very motivated to replace this fog light, but it was the passenger side light and that was always the biggest deterrent because I didn't want to take the bumper off or remove the washer fluid reservoir. But with the grille missing it looked so ghetto and I was starting to fit in a little too well in Baltimore....

Eff it! I'm taking this bumper off. That's what I said. The reason I'm writing a reply to this post is because there were a few minor differences and things I noted in my experience and I thought I'd share with everyone.

Everything I did the same up to the point of removing the bolts behind the plastic trim pieces on the corners. Mine were 13mm bolts, now I'm not sure if that's just random or I think when I had my radiator replaced, or maybe some other work, the mechanic kinda pieced this back together with whatever he had lying around. But these looked like factory bolts so I don't know.

With the bumper off, I disconnected the lights and I didn't seem to have any other plastic connections on the bumper. Realistically, they've probably snapped off.

This is where I noticed something that others might want to check out. If you're already taking your bumper off, take a look around the intercooler and you'll see that a bunch of **** has collected here and inside the pan below it. Maybe this isn't as prevalent on the west coast, but over here on the east this is what you're likely to find. There are just two 10mm bolts (I think that's the right size) on either side of the pan, real easy to find. Remove those and two clips in the front and it comes right down. This is what mine looked like. :facepalm:

On the fog light assembly you can see the two torx screws on top that tspot mentioned and if you don't pull your bumper all the way off they're easily accessible from the top, but my assembly came with the entire mounting bracket.

Someone definitely half-assed this in the past, because the top end of the bracket did not have a screw in it. So looking back I could have done this from under the car and just removed the two side screws.... but who would have known it wasn't installed correctly? I replaced the missing screw with something I got from the local hardware store. Looked like this:

And I think that was it. Now I have two functioning fog lights again :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you happen to know what the thread pitch to the 10mm bolt is? The bolt stripped the hole in the frame and need to be re-tapped. :angryfire: lol

~Jay

·
Registered
246 Posts

my "how to" in video form

your r looks far nicer than mine though.... nice work on those fogs....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Good write up!

My codriver for autocross smacked a cone so hard that it separated the two parts of the assembly. Were they only held together by the bead of grey silicone from the factory?

Mine split where the bead of silicone connects the parts together. Is there anything besides the silicone holding them together?

·
Registered
2006 v70r 138k, Sold : 2004 s60r, 1999 s70T5
178 Posts
I have my bumper cover off and I need to replace the plastic rivets that hold the corners on, in the wheel well. What size are these lil push in plastic rivets?

·
Registered
547 Posts
anyone....Bueller.....bueller
Just go to autozone, ask if you can try them in the car. Bring a few packs out with you, buy only the ones you need. My autozone has no problem with me doing this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks fe
What you will need:

8mm socket
10mm socket
Extension to reach bolts behind trim
Bone tool/butter knife
T25 torx bit

When I bought my car it had a broken fog light which I told the dealership they would have to replace. I had the trim around the fog light off because I was trying to get in there without taking off the bumper but this is not nessecary.

Finally almost 6 weeks later (not becuase of Volvo but because of the dealership not giving a $#!& about their customers after they get paid, it was a Kia dealer) my new fog light is in my possession.

The first step is to get the headlight wipers off. Flip open the plastic cap at the base of the wiper arm to reveal the 8mm bolt. Remove this bolt and then remove the wiper by wiggling it back and forth a bit while pulling. I found mine were a little stuck on but came off with some patient wiggling. Disconnect the washer fluid hose by pulling it off the fitting.

Next open the hood and remove the 6 plastic plug holding the bumper down by depressing the middle section then lifting the whole thing up.

Next remove the trim piece by prying it up gently with a butter knife or a bone tool. Start from the middle and work your way out.

Next look inside the hole in the bumper that was behind the trim peice you just took off. There is a 10mm bolt inside. Remove it. Be careful that you do not drop the bolt it can be a PITA to retrieve form inside this hole.

Now pick which side of the car you want to work on first and turn the wheels to full lock the opposite direction. You are looking for a T25 Torx screw inside the wheel well towards the front of the car.

Back this screw out a few turns. You do not want to remove it but simply loosen it enough that you can pull back and outward on the bumper far enough to unhook it from the piece of plastic that it holds in it place. The second picture shows the piece of plastic that slides back and forth as you turn the torx screw. It is the standart lefty loosey/righty tighty.

The bumper is now unbolted from the car. If you were wokring alone like me at this point you should put something on the ground under the bumper so it doesnt fall and get scratched on your driveway. One side at a time push on the bumper just infront of the wheel well about 10" forward and the bumper will come away from the car. Set the first side down and repeat on the other side. Your car should now look something liek this.

There are also these clips at each corner of the bumper that you will need to remove if you wish to completely remove the bumper from the car. I found I did not need to do this to remove the fog light so I left them in place.

Also dont forget to disconnect the fog lights. Pull the connection up out of its holder and seperate them by pushing in on the metal bar.

Now you have access to the fog light. Simply remove the 2 T25 Torx screws. Hang on to the light when you take out the second one or it will fall.

Now all you need to do is reverse all these steps to install the new light and get the bumper back on the car. I found that working by myself it worked well to lift it into place and then put the two 10mm bolts in the front of the bumper in loosely so that it is held in place but can still be moved around. Next I replaced the 6 plastic plugs by pushing the middle sections up then inserting in holes and then pushing the middle section flush again. Then I closed the hood so I could make sure everything was aligned properly before tightening the bumper down. There are 2 peices that need to be slotted together on each side of the bumper then hook it around the piece of plastic controled by the torx screw in the wheel well and tighten. I guess you might want to check and make sure everything works before tighening it down too. I didnt but it all worked out.

[/Hi I followed your instructions today to get the old smashed fog light off and put a new one. Wouldn't have had a clue how to do it if it wasn't for your excellent pictures and explanations. Very much appreciated. Rob.

[/Hi I followed your instructions today to get the old smashed fog light off and put a new one. Wouldn't have had a clue how to do it if it wasn't for your excellent pictures and explanations. Very much appreciated. Rob.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts