SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of 2004 S60R's experience the problem of a broken latch over the center console cup holders. Instead of buying a $60 replacement piece or instead of upgrading to a 2005+ center console I've decided to fix it myself.

Basically, the guiding bolts were broken on each side. Instead of gluing them together I drilled a hole on each side to make room for a screw, which would then serve as a guide. As you can see, the screw fits nice and tight, and it even makes the little spring operational. The cover now is 100% operational!!

The guiding bolt was broken. I drilled a hole right through it

Then, to fix the scuffs on top of my console, I sanded it and painted it with a matching duplicolor paint.

I cleaned underneath the center console while at it....

I even took out the space ball and cleaned it

A finished product

For those wanting to know what the shift knob looks like. To remove it, you turn and pull.

Done

The paint

Next weekend I'll paint the remaining pieces of the center console.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Great job at fixing that sucker. It seems like the console on the older models comes off a bit easier than the newer ones.

Gotta love the clean modern appearance of that shifter.

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Jexx)

Quote, originally posted by Jexx »
Great job at fixing that sucker. It seems like the console on the older models comes off a bit easier than the newer ones.

Gotta love the clean modern appearance of that shifter.

It's held by two screws under the radio and two screws under the center arm rest.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial. I might just take mine apart and see what the heck make it rattle so much. Fact it my R has develped a bunch of rattles in the last year. Not so bad for the first five - but now it seems that everything wants to rattle - center console, glove box, a pillar etc.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: How to fix a broken 2004 Center Console + panel refresh (tomedkaz)

Nice job! Does that color match the rest of the interior panels? My center console has a few rough spots (I would probably need to paint the whole thing).

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »
Nice write-up! I just broke mine the other day trying to remove it to paint it.

No picture of the cup holder cover, finished?

Good point... I'll snap one tomorrow

I think I need to sand it a bit, since the surface is a bit rough....it's very durable though.
The paint matches the interior pieces perfectly though

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (tomedkaz)

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »

I think I need to sand it a bit, since the surface is a bit rough....it's very durable though.

I like how it came out. I want to paint it silver though.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Looks awsome, this is next weeks project, just finished my poorman diy mesh grill today

·
Registered
866 Posts

How did you separate the shifter surround (with 1-6 & R on it) from the black trim panel?

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: How to fix a broken 2004 Center Console + panel refresh (redalrt)

Quote, originally posted by redalrt »
How did you separate the shifter surround (with 1-6 & R on it) from the black trim panel?

I didnt' I taped it with a blue painters tape.

The shifter surround has metal tabs that you can bend outwards but for some reason this doesnt make it come out. But taping it works the same way

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »

I didnt' I taped it with a blue painters tape.

The shifter surround has metal tabs that you can bend outwards but for some reason this doesnt make it come out. But taping it works the same way

Very good. That works.

Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
looks awesome! What did you use on the black shifter surround? Looks like it has a really cool finish and gets rid of that redundant gear guide graphic. I'll have to do mine soon. I broke one of the pins on my cupholder cover when I was installing my iMIV, and my center console has lots of "white spots".

·
Registered
866 Posts

I've sourced the paint. After cleaning it up with soap and water and stripping the shifter panel and cup holder lid with Goo-Gone, I'm probably going to use some plastic primer on the console before painting it

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote, originally posted by redalrt »
I've sourced the paint. After cleaning it up with soap and water and stripping the shifter panel and cup holder lid with Goo-Gone, I'm probably going to use some plastic primer on the console before painting it

My suggestion is to paint it flat black. My whole center concole is now flat black and I really love the look (contrasts with the seats and matches the door panels nicely)

I'll snap a pic tonight

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »
Nice write-up! I just broke mine the other day trying to remove it to paint it.

No picture of the cup holder cover, finished?

Did you ever snap a picture of the cupholder lid? Found this thread after finding out the stinking lid assembly is $125. I want to try out this fix, but like you, have scuff marks on the lid and would like to touch that up too. Is this paint different from the dupli-color bumper coating paint someone else used to paint the console surrounding the cupholder? http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?108162-Fix-for-Worn-Center-Console-Plastic-%28Looks-Like-New!%29-*Write-Up-Inside*&id=108162&postid=1115271

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.