SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those XC90s with the USB iPod connector in the glovebox, you can easily install an extension.

Tools & Parts:
Radio Shack Gigaware 10-ft USB extension cable, #26-1408
Torx 25 bit
1/2" whole saw or similar bit
rubber grommet

Start by removing the cover on the passenger side of the dashboard and slide the USB extension across to the Volvo connector:

Tuck the USB wire back under the lower dash panel and over to the center console. Push the wire under and along the console toward the rear of the XC.

Next: remove the center console storage area by pulling the handle below the rear cup holder, it will slide toward the rear. If you have never removed this piece, there is a built in foot rest for the center passenger.

Take the center console to your work bench or kitchen table and remove the two torx screws on the front panel.

Cut a small 1/2" size hole and insert a grommet. insert the iPod cable prior to fitting the grommet.

Connect the iPod cable to the USB extension cable and reinsert the center console. Be sure not to pinch the iPod cable when sliding the console. Give yourself enough slack to place your iPod/iPhone either inside the console or in the cup holders.

That's it. I tested this with my iPhone 4S and it charges and plays as expected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice tutorial, Chris. I might give this a try. On a related topic, do you know if it's possible to use my iPhone in "direct" iPod mode through the USB connector? In other words, control the music through the iPhone and not the stereo?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan - we may be able to control the iPod via bluetooth playback. I accidentally started playing music via Bluetooth with my wife's iPhone after syncing it but we didn't explore Bluetooth playback enough to say for certain. If the screen of the iPhone switches to "Accessory" when connected via USB, we won't have control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts