SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

How to distinguish between HPT & LPT

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  C70SPEED 
#1 ·
By just looking at the vehicle how can you tell if it is HPT or LPT? Is there something on the C70's VIN that could let you know? I wanted to know so I couldn't be given the run around by someone.

-Poritz

#3 ·
Re: How to distinguish between HPT & LPT (Poritz)

You know I wonder the same thing. Mine is a 1998 with a production date f 12/97. So I know it's a HPT (they didn't make LPT Coupes until 1999) but everytime I got to the dealer for service, my car always comes out as an LPT. ?????

#4 ·
Re: How to distinguish between HPT & LPT (mike_c70)

I wonder if they made HPT after 98? I found a bank repo that was almost in my budget and the seller told me it was a HPT. I couldn't take a test drive but even so I have nothing to compare against. There has got to be some way to find out.

-Poritz

#5 ·

actually.. the dealer, when given the VIN.. they should be able to tell you all the stuff on your car.. the engine size, hp, all the options, etc....
right???

i THINK there is a way.. the LPT are 2.4 liters and the HPT are 2.3 liters... if you can find out if your enigine is 2.4 or 2.3... then you should know.

#6 ·
Re: How to distinguish between HPT & LPT (GShyneDM)

Faded right now but I remember that somewhere on the engine, there is code or some poop that tells you what model engine it is, I remember noticing that the the first three letters would determine the type of turbo. Some dealerships that weren't volvo didn't know the status on that bizniz, that's how we figured it out, well besides test driving em'.

#7 ·
Re: How to distinguish between HPT & LPT (biggerhurt38)

On the engine timing belt cover must be a sticker reading B5234T3 for a HPT or B5244T3 (Not sure about the 3) for an LPT.
Also the chassic number must contain a 2 digit code for the model.
I think it is something like 53 for a HPT and 57 for the LPT, these numbers are used with the S60/V70 so the C70 could be different.

#8 ·

Well, I found my old carfax copy of my car and according to my VIN, it's a 2.3L HPT. So I guess the dealer has it wrong then. I have to check that out. If they are thinking mine is a LPT and not a HPT, who knows what might be different in the car.

And to answer the question, yes, they did make HPT after 1998. Actually, the 2002 Coupes only came in HPT.

#9 ·

Yes, the 6th and 7th numbers from the VIN can tell you what engine the car has. If it is a "53", then it is a HPT engine.

Many LPT C70s also came with 16" alloys whereas most HPT cars came with 17" alloys.

Yannis

#12 ·

OPEN up the drivers door or under the hood to the back passenger side will tell you what the car is. 2.4 liter car or 2.3 HPT car.. If it is not there then you have a problem get the vin of the car and check that way!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.