SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: How to Debadge (Token)

a hair dryer on warm (not hot) should soften up the adhesive enough to start pulling the badge off. You can use dental floss to work it off, but I prefer to pull the badge slowly while applying hot air, then just clean the adhesive residue with rubbing alcohol on a sock. <p>Make sure the car is clean around the badge though, that's where the scratching would come in.<p>Which badges are you removing?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Token</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm about to debadge and just want to confirm how to do it.<p>I remember people mentioning <B>hair dryers, hot water, and dental floss</B>. The badges have been on the car since 2003 and I really don't want to remove any paintwork with them!<p>Is there a good method anyone can recommend?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That is correct, heat up the badges nicely and use goo-gone aftewards to clean up the residue. Polish out the area with a nice polish/wax.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Token</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm about to debadge and just want to confirm how to do it.<p>I remember people mentioning hair dryers, hot water, and dental floss. The badges have been on the car since 2003 and I really don't want to remove any paintwork with them!<p>Is there a good method anyone can recommend?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Heat it up with the hair dryer, and then saw behind the badge with floss or fishing line. You will not cleanly remove the badge from the paint, you will be pulling the badge from the adhesive that sticks to the paint. Once the badge is off you will need a rag and some adhesive remover to clean up the remaining adhesive.<p>If you try to remove the badge with your hand you may have a chance of pulling the paint off, but if you do it slowly with the floss or fishing line you will be fine.

·
Registered
866 Posts

I used this method when I removed the VOLVO badges and installed side marker lights on my 1998 GLT (This method came in the instructions).<p>Spray a little WD-40 behind the emblem to loosen the adhesive (It does not hurt the paint). Wipe up any drippage. <p>Wait about 10 minutes, then use dental floss to remove the badges. Use a soft cloth to remove the adhesive residue. Finish off the area with a nice car wax.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Fishing line or Dental Floss<br>Then GooGone and Wrag . <p>10-20min

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
When you're most of the way through the foam, resist the temptation to grab the letter and lift it up to pull the last part off, it's very easy to accidentally scratch the paint.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Hair dryer.<br>They should just pop off very easily

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: How to Debadge (xman03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>xman03</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>That is correct, heat up the badges nicely and use goo-gone aftewards to clean up the residue. Polish out the area with a nice polish/wax. </TD></TR></TABLE><br>A Xman tommro can you bring the goo gone over, wev been talkin bout it for a long time and keep forgetting, lol lets do it brother and we going to kick thoes girls asses tommro!!<br>GO MEXICO!!!!!! 5-5-09 time to drink

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Re: (nobbe3728)

if youre removing the VOLVO using the fishing line good luck. the angle of the badge makes it very annoying to take off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: (mpdbrown)

what should one use to put a badge back on lets say if i were just to relocate the R badge on the back? i wanna have just the R on where it says Volvo now

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: (The S60R Dream)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>The S60R Dream</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what should one use to put a badge back on lets say if i were just to relocate the R badge on the back? i wanna have just the R on where it says Volvo now</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Just buy a new badge?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Re: (I Roll)

you may be able to heat up the glue on the back and just stick it back on.<p>or if you care to do it the right way...<p><br> <A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com/Universal-Products/Collectibles-&-Apparel/Volvo-R-Branded-Items/Volvo-R-Emblem/p-202-626-710-1183/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ipdusa.com/Universa...1183/</A>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (The S60R Dream)

It's easier to buy a new R badge with the tape already attached.<br>If you want to try to find <U>very thin</U> double sided tape, then trim a bunch of very small pieces, you can re-use yours but it's tough.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: (Token)

What was under the badge has had years less exposure to the sun, so there's sure to be some difference in appearance. Polishing the area should help at least somewhat, but won't completely equalize things.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Re: (Token)

Consider it a free mod, you now have ghosted VOLVO on your bumper. You could pay $500 and <i>still</i> not be able to get someone to ghost in something in paint.<p>Yeah, I know, not what you want, but oxidation being what it is, I was trying to put a happy spin on it. This is the reason I won't debadge my '04.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts