SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Xeno's a pillar pod setup. if you surf around here much, you know what I'm talking about.

if not go look at the write up he did here:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=63016

I want to do the same thing. From looking at his writeup/thread, I think he basically took an OEM a pillar and then grafted a homemade dual pod setup onto it. then lined it in a custom made fabric cover. end result is beautiful - OEM quality, but totally trick looking. the gauge choice is perfect.

i want to copy it - but I don't have the tools/skills/ability to fabricate a dual gauge pod like he did. I'm thinking of buying a dual gauge pod that is already on the market - then grafting THAT onto an OEM a pillar. the key is to find an existing a pillar that is similar to the R's in size/shape that someone makes a dual gauge pod for. once that is source, all you would need to do, is pull of the OEM a pillar, rip of the fabric, epoxy the dual pillar onto the stock a pillar and then recover it in fabric. it's a lot of work, but it could be done.

any of you have any ideas on what a pillar pod out there on the marke right now, could be bought, that would pretty much line right up to the R's OEM pillar?? if it was really close, a little work iwth a heat gun could soften it up to the point that it could be molded to fit right. epoxy or some other adhesive could bond it to the R's OEM a pillar. sanding it down will make the edges flush..and then once you recover it in fabric, it would be very clean looking..a lot like xenos.

any of you know or have a good idea what a pillar pods would work on our cars? it doens' have to be perfect...but it needs to be close.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: How to copy Xeno's a pillar pod setup? (23109VC)

hahaha http://********************/smile/emthup.gif good idea...liked it.

1-Buy a standart 2 gauge pod(abs plastic)
2-Buy a spare pillar from the dealer
3-If you can:Make a mould for the abs pod(If not work with someone who knows fiber works)
4-Make that fiber pod suitable for the pillar,make it longer and etc.
5-Find the macthing cloth and cover it.If you can find very similar cloth,cover both right and left side pillar.

Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: How to copy Xeno's a pillar pod setup? (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »

. the key is to find an existing a pillar that is similar to the R's in size/shape

The exact match is not important,you can something like this one.You will aleady make it from fiber and can easily work with the edges for exact match.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: How to copy Xeno's a pillar pod setup? (xenophobic)

Would said pillar function like the stocker and not hit me in the face during a side impact? I guess that's my only question and only obstacle I see.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xeno - when you say make a fiber pod..."fiber works"...what is that? do you mean fiberglass? i've never done it...but i can imagine that all you do is get strips of the stuff..and they are wet....you drape them over the 2 gauge pod...and then they dry and they harden and take the form of what was underneath...

how much does that apillar pod cost from the dealer?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

xeno - when you say make a fiber pod..."fiber works"...what is that? do you mean fiberglass?

Yes fiberglass.I am not sure about the price for there but in here,I payed $120 for the pillar.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
assuming I get the a pillar pod - and I have the dual gauge pod -

xeno - do I use the dual pod as a mold to make a new fiberglass piece - or did you use the two gauge pod AND the fiberglass and basically mold them together?

what i'm asking is - did you use that dual pod as a MOLD - and you laid fiber over it - and then removed the dual pod?

here is my other idea - this might be easier/cheaper.... what do you think xeno?

i could buy a dual gauge pod that is a close match to the OEM a pillar in our car - i don't mean a full a pillar replacement..i just mean a dual pod that has the general countours...size/shape/angles...so that it would mate up to the a pillar "close"..not exact.

then i could use liquid plastic to make it stick to the a pillar. i could fill in gaps with the stuff...once hard i could sand it all down so that al the edges were smooth...then cover it wtih fabric.

i think that might be quicker/cheaper than trying to mess with fiberglass. the only part that will be time consuming is to find an a pillar pod that is pretty close to the R's a pillar.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: (Copeland)

I have the mould for the part in the mentioned area.

I can make a fiberglass pod for one gauge with that.

If you have 2 fiberglass pod,the only thing is to connect them with fiberglass and cover.

Are you interested?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i'd be interested.

how do you connect that fiberglass pods to the OEM a pillar? more fiberglass or epoxy? or somethign else.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i could do just a single gauge...only do boost.... or i could do dual gauges. i personally only really want boost...but i think the dual pod looks better....

what would be the ideal gauge to have in the second pod?

·
Registered
500 Posts

i could do just a single gauge...only do boost.... or i could do dual gauges. i personally only really want boost...but i think the dual pod looks better....

I use oil pressure.

·
Registered
536 Posts

My suggestion: A/F or EGT

moddeR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts