SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there used to be instructions on here somewhere, but obviously i can't find them now. i would appreciate pictures and a walk-through, if possible. at the very least i need to know if i can clean the MAF by simply removing the air filter and spraying from there or do i need to take out the whole assembly? must i have the security torx bit or can i clean the MAF without it?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
You need 5 point security torx to pull the MAF, not the 6 point ones you usually see.

I don't think spraying MAF cleaner into the intake with the air filter removed is a real good idea, it probaly won't do a good job cleaning the MAF and probably isn't too good for you motor either

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
If you have a hard time finding the 5 prong safety torx I was able to make a 6 prong work great by grinding off 2 of the prongs.

Most nut and bolt shops can sell you just one bit too so you don't need to buy an entire set of secure torx either.

I've got some good pics of what you need to clean in your MAF sensor and the modified torx in the following thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...he-Cause-Of-My-3-4K-RPM-Full-Throttle-Stutter

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Visit my MAF CLEANING THREAD HERE pictures and all.... Also if your really going to order a special tool to remove the MAF, your wasting your time. Grab some pliers or channel locks and twist the screw out from its base and replace with something normal.

Your never going to use that tool for anything else. Even Airbags are completely different torx than the MAF.

http://revmat.ch/oh-you-dirty-dirty-t3864.html?t=3864

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Seriously if you have 56k and driving a R, get your priority straight.

Oh my MAF was naughty. It played around in the oil too long.... Sorry for the big pics. But it needed attention to detail. 60k miles...

Here comes CRC to the RESCUE

Ahhh Clean at last......

F*CK you Tamperproof Torx.

** I purchased my CRC Cleaner from NAPA, but please note that IPD does sell it as well. So if your doing some cleaning, pick up a can because its really something you should look into cleaning. Instructions Take out MAF Take off lid to CRC Maf cleaner Use little red straw Shake can Test spray. Use in small sprays 4" away from MAF and Element Let it drip out as you do one side at a time. Let it dry.... *wave your MAF in the air like you don't care*...but don't drop the MAF. Or your gonna be mad. Clean MAF tube. Re-install.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a hard time finding the 5 prong safety torx I was able to make a 6 prong work great by grinding off 2 of the prongs.

Most nut and bolt shops can sell you just one bit too so you don't need to buy an entire set of secure torx either.

I've got some good pics of what you need to clean in your MAF sensor and the modified torx in the following thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...he-Cause-Of-My-3-4K-RPM-Full-Throttle-Stutter
yea thanks. i've ready that thread. i'm experiencing the same symptoms you were, but it's pretty irregular. i suspect a loose correlation with ambient temp, as it gets worse in hot, humid weather. since i recently reoiled my K&N, i thought the MAF might have gotten a bit soiled.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
yea thanks. i've ready that thread. i'm experiencing the same symptoms you were, but it's pretty irregular. i suspect a loose correlation with ambient temp, as it gets worse in hot, humid weather. since i recently reoiled my K&N, i thought the MAF might have gotten a bit soiled.
My problem varied a lot too, sometimes was barely there, sometimes awful.

Since it was a coil defect everything from temperature to atmospheric pressure and hitting bumps seemed to either calm it down or make it worse.

At least my frustrated attempts at chasing ghosts and gremlins resulted in one hell of a Stage 0 tune up for my R, lol.

·
Registered
633 Posts
there used to be instructions on here somewhere, but obviously i can't find them now. i would appreciate pictures and a walk-through, if possible. at the very least i need to know if i can clean the MAF by simply removing the air filter and spraying from there or do i need to take out the whole assembly? must i have the security torx bit or can i clean the MAF without it?

thanks!
You can clean without the special torx. Remove whole assembly, start by loosening the Airbox, then as picture 4 by Chinaonnitrous1 shows, by loosening one normal clamp screw behind the MAF on the intake tub. Disconnect the Electrics to the MAF. Lift out whole assembly. Then remove the Air box from the MAF tube. Clean the MAf with tube still attached. The MAF cleaner spray can also has detailed instruction.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
For my Canadian buddies CRC 'SensorKleen' barcode 75110/CRC#599C is available at Napa for $10.00. It looks like this:

If you read the MSDS everything looks identical and on the very last page they list both as CRC# 599C.

10hp for $8? You might get a kick out of this CRC info sheet http://www.crc-canada.ca/Files/CA/sensorkleen%20poster.pdf

LTA

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Much less likely to damage that delicate platinum element if you leave it in tube, though.
LOL, doubtful. Do you have a link to all of the "delicate platinum elements" that have been damaged/destroyed by removing the sensor? If not, please provide logical rationale for your statement, including detailed description of the actions that cause destruction.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.