SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dears ,

I am working on project to change my R ENGINE because it got overheated and cylinder head and cylinder sleve got broken ... Now i want to check my R con rods and the pistons ... Any comments ... Is an eye look on it enough to decide ??? If its in good shape or destroyed ....

Another question does overheating destroys pistons and the con rods.

Thanks all fir tjis amazing forum

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
So long as they're not bent they should be ok, unless they got hot enough to change the properties of the metal, which someone else on the forum might have experienced this or tested it, I'll let them chime in.

I don't want to say anything about the pistons, because I simply don't know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you starting such a work you'd better check all internals..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another question does overheating destroys pistons and the con rods?

Yes, it does!

Very sad what happened to you...

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Was the engine hydro-locked? Did water enter one of the cylinders and attempt to be compressed? If so, I would expect a bent rod in that cylinder. You will not see the bend with the eye, and must use proper fixtures and measuring tools. The piston of this cylinder may also be damaged at the pin boss.
Measure from big end of rod to little end. Any good engine build shop has this capability to measure precisley. The rods are forged with "cracked" caps. Do not mix them up, or rotate them!

I would not expect piston damage, but certainly ring damage. Replace rings, check pistons in multiple dimensions to ensure they are perfectly round. Original pistons are graphite coated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'd definitely take them to a machine shop and have them checked for trueness and magnafluxed to check for cracks. And as was said you really don't want to mix the caps up haha

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
If the rods and the pistons in good shape and not damaged from my R engine i will take them to the bew engine george said that the crank shaft is the same so i will tonight check ... My question is an eye look into the piston and the rod is enough to judge the piston and rods are bad or good ??
I agree with what Roger said.

The machine shop should be able to determine that for you. The pistons in the R engine are not forged, so you can expect pitting along the top... like this:

You'll have to put new rings and hone the cylinders when you move the old stuff to the new block you get from George.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts