SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the DRLs before on my T5 no problem. Now I am trying to replace the DRLs on my R and I can't get the bulb out. I know to take the black cap off. But the bulb won't budge. I can't get the wiring harness disconnected from the base of the bulb. I've tried a flat head screwdriver to pry it over the clips, but not luck
Plus, I'm afraid I'll break the plastic clips on the wiring harness.

Now the front fogs are even tougher! Weird angle. Not so easy on a flat surface. I don't have any ramps. Any tips?

I bought the H3 silverstars and 9006XS silverstars.

Modified by soledoc at 4:25 PM 7-15-2006

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: How to change the front fog lights and DRLs? (soledoc)

Fogs are easy, just tug a bit harder.
You may not want to mess with the DRL's, real PITA.
Ask Jim Lill directly, he has taken the lights apart
JRL

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Quote, originally posted by soledoc »
Now the front fogs are even tougher! Weird angle. Not so easy on a flat surface. I don't have any ramps. Any tips?

Find a place where you can drive one side of the car up a curb - preferrably a ramped portion of the curb - and do one side. Then reverse and repeat for the the other side.

Don't do this with a street curb. Find a weekend-vacated parking lot please.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

I replaced my DRL's too but it was awhile ago so I don't remember specifically what I did. I remember it was pretty tough and I think I ended up wearing thick gloves so I could squeeze on the clips to release the bulbs. You shouldn't need any tools to get the bulbs out. Same goes for the fogs. Drive half the car up a driveway curb so you can get under there. If all else fails bring it to the dealer and say your bulbs burnt out and give them the ones you bought?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How to change the front fog lights and DRLs? (PhilUp)

I finally ended up getting the DRLs in but it was very tough turning the whole unit. It finally popped out. haven't done the fogs yet. I'll try that today.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Buy some Rhino ramps for pull up on a curb. You will have to remove the connector from the wiring harness. Then you twist the black cap and you will have to squeeze a spring clip, unhook the wire for the bulb and replace the bulb. PITA baby

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (slowrey)

Thanks Sean for those pics. My friend has some ramps and he's bringing them over this afternoon. We'll try to swap out the fogs this afternoon. He can help me as payment for me letting him use my wagon this weekend

That's a pic of the fogs, right? H3 bulb is what I bought.

·
Registered
745 Posts

I changed the DRLs without much trouble. They just twisted out. But the fogs I couldn't get out, no matter what I tried. I finally had the dealer change them on an oil change visit. They put it up on the lift and that made it much easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts