SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photo of compressor and clutch gap that needs to be accessed: https://imgur.com/a/tsCyAJ1

My AC has gone intermittant, so I examined the gap between the clutch and compressor and indeed it is noticeably greater than the recommended .3mm tolerance.

I want to remove the clutch so I can remove some of the shims and reduce the gap. My problem is...this looks ridiculously difficult to access. Other Volvos you can take off the front right wheel and peel back the plastic cover to access but the compressor is too far forward in an S60 so this won't work. Underneath the compressor there is a metal subframe in the way so you could take off the plastic cover in front of that and attempt to sneak in from the front but access is still not easy and extensions would be essential it looks like.

I've also heard of others completely pulling the radiator and fan out and gaining room to work in the front of the vehicle but this does essentially nothing to improve the access from the side of the clutch, and is only really useful if you are pulling the entire compressor which I really don't want to do.

I've read several threads where people say this is an easy repair that can be done in one hour, so either that's inaccurate for an S60 or I'm missing something big.

Any ideas to make this easier? I just need to get the clutch and shims inside it off so I can reduce that gap between the clutch and compressor.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You can drop the subframe (loose all bolts but don't remove them.) loosen the compressor and turn it so you can get to(you don't have to remove the compressor/freon using this method). The clutch face has 3 threaded holes..Cant remember what size but they are small, like 4mm maybe? Find a screw that will go into the face and attach it to a slide hammer. Couple of pulls and it comes right off. This will be a lot harder if you dont have a lift. We use this method all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting about dropping the subframe. Thanks for that tip. Is this method even worth using if I don't have access to a lift. Highest I can get the car off the ground in my garage is about a foot. Would this method be doable or is it better to just pull the alternator and work from above?

·
Registered
306 Posts
You dont have to drop the entire subframe...Just enough so that when the compressor is off(loosened/removed from the accessory plate, with lines still hooked up mind you), you can cok (wont let me spell it) it to the side and attach a screw into the clutch face (there are 3 small threaded holes). Hook a slide hammer to it and give it a slap or two and it comes off. When you tigthen the clutch bolt back in place, be sure to NOT use any impact style tools. Use a 10mm deep well socked where the bolt goes through the clutch and use that to tap the clutch face down til its seated, then thread in bolt and tighten.

I've welded a pair of vise grip type plyers to a slide hammer and use that for this all the time..

The other way to do it is to just remove the compressor from the top and do it on a bench. You'll have to get it recharged when finished. When your working against the clock and have a lift dropping the subframe, shimming the clutch and re-install takes less than 1.5 hrs. Removing and installing compressor including A/C service may take 4+ if its your first time.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just unbolt it (leave lines attached) to give room to work. Use a puller that you can rent from Autozone. Think I did pull the fan to do this on two P2s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts