SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

How the heck do you clean the rubber lower bits on this SUV?

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  sboll 
#1 ·
I mean, it doesn't make sense. I scrub and scrub and still the marks of dirt seem embedded in the rubber mouldings, most notably behind the front and rear wheels.

Am I wasting my time? Should I use something more abrasive? A special cleaner? I am a very thorough car washer and hate the fact that the rubber is not clean...please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: How the heck do you clean the rubber lower bits on this SUV? (coladin)

I use and old soft-bristled tooth brush and some simple green. Some people may argue with me, but its been nearly 4 years and I have yet to see a scratch or discoloration from it.

#3 ·

the hard black plastic can be cleaned using a few different things (previously talked about in forums) but I like Mothers Back to Black bumper care. Do a google on it, runs about $6.00 a bottle and it lasts about 3 months beofre needing to reapply (subjective though).

Good Luck

#5 ·
Re: How the heck do you clean the rubber lower bits on this SUV? (XC90 Black Saphire)

Thanks I'll give it a try and am surprised that it weasn't in the detailing forum because it was dirt from a construction site and I have washed it now three times and it is still there so my guess is I need something more abrasive? I have some simlpe green and will give it a try.

#7 ·
Re: (jib)

Question on the back to black? My car has the "protective coating" that I wasted my money on more for the guarantee against stains than the true protection. They said not to use anything on the trim, just to wash. Hate the dark gray color and wish it was a deep, rich black. Well, I wish it was painted, but that's the crap Volvo likes to use. Anyway, does it turn a deeper black color? May need to try it. Thx

#8 ·

Is that the Lava Sand color? Beautiful. Would have bought that color in a heartbeat. Volvo's colors suck and my choice was a process of elimination. Had that, hate that, didn't want black, etc. The ruby red is nice but I would have preferred something richer and more sophisticated. Like the medium gray (name) that came out after mine and I've had a Barents blue loaner wagon that was very pretty, too. Ford took a lot of technology to the Explorer how about sharing some paint colors?

#9 ·
Re: How the heck do you clean the rubber lower bits on this SUV? (JoVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by JoVolvo »
Is that the Lava Sand color? Beautiful. Would have bought that color in a heartbeat. Volvo's colors suck and my choice was a process of elimination. Had that, hate that, didn't want black, etc. The ruby red is nice but I would have preferred something richer and more sophisticated. Like the medium gray (name) that came out after mine and I've had a Barents blue loaner wagon that was very pretty, too. Ford took a lot of technology to the Explorer how about sharing some paint colors?

Yes, it is Lava Sand, a very classy colour with the Taupe interior. The colours were not very interesting on the XC90 and I didn't want another black car so I stumbled on this colour at the dealer and fell in love with it. I like the white too but my wife didn't.

I wasn't crazy about the champagne colour that I have seen but this work is markedly different in person, with a slight purple hue to it.

#11 ·

I use this product, it appears to work pretty well. It cost about $13.00.

Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant "Tiefenpfleger" (500 ml, 16,9 fl oz)
Code: 972610
Price: $13.00

ċ Exterior care and protectant for plastic, vinyl, and rubber components.
ċ Revives and protects trim, bumpers, and tires with conditioners and UV protectants.
ċ Patented formula is long-lasting and is carwash and weather-resistant.
ċ Provides a natural, low-shine satin finish that won't attract dust.

Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant cleans, restores and protects all exterior vinyl and plastic components such as fenders, the front fascia, plastic trim, vinyl cabriolet tops, and rubber components such as tires, producing a temperature-resistant seal and a satin finish. Retards the fading effects of UV rays. Petroleum-free, water-based formula is patented for its superior long-term protective properties and wash- and weather-resistant features that prevents streaking. Therefore, UV and other protective properties remain. Durability tested for use in car wash systems. Also great for use on interior components such as dash.

#13 ·
Re: (JoVolvo)

Hate the dark gray color and wish it was a deep, rich black. does it turn a deeper black color? May need to try it. Thx

Yes, It will take the dingy gray and make it black. I'm a touch concerned about the protective coating, but making gray black again, is what it does.

Jack

#14 ·
Re: (JoVolvo)

Question on the back to black? My car has the "protective coating" that I wasted my money on more for the guarantee against stains than the true protection. They said not to use anything on the trim, just to wash. Hate the dark gray color and wish it was a deep, rich black. Well, I wish it was painted, but that's the crap Volvo likes to use. Anyway, does it turn a deeper black color? May need to try it. Thx

Back to Black and other products (such as bumper and trim re-conditioner from Griot's) are actually dyes, not surface protectants or polishes or anything like that. So whatever color your plastic is now, it will be black afterward.

BTW, the Griot's product is great, had mine on since April and the trim looks new.

Oh, and I 3rd the Mr. Clean magic eraser....works great!

#15 ·
Re: (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »

Back to Black and other products (such as bumper and trim re-conditioner from Griot's) are actually dyes, not surface protectants or polishes or anything like that. So whatever color your plastic is now, it will be black afterward.

Are you certain they are dyes? Back to black is a white fluid.

Jack

#16 ·

I have a small solution... PAINT it. For too long I hated to wash the XC90 cus of all that plastic, so I got a paintshop to paint all of it, handles, bumpers, door mirrors. It looks soo much better and takes less time to wash/clean. Cost me like $1,300, but I think it is well worth the money. Hope this helps you http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#17 ·

I use Zymol carbon wax, it works great. I apply it with my Griots polisher.
I know it sounds odd but it works for me. I don't know how the dye products work but the liquid applicants seem to only be a short term fix and actually make it look worse once they wear off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.