SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced one of the cables off of my PAL-11 USA Spec Ipod adapter and I can't get the effing HU-850 back into place. I've got nav and bluetooth so there's a crap load of cables behind the thing but I can't seem to get it any closer than about 1/2" from actually settling in...

I think I've searched this before without much luck so I'm hoping that by asking the question directly one of you amazing SS'rs can help me out.

Right now I'm pissed and going to a movie in the suburban. I hope to have a buzz when I get back to this... (yes Idaho serves beer in the movie theaters :D)

Cheers - E

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Push harder. I had the same thing happen in an 07 last year, just needed more elbow grease.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get the top edge in place first. then give upward pressure while you put the bottom edge into place
I've tried that but I don't want to push too hard. Thats how the last guy I had try to fix it ended up damaging the cable, which is why I'm dealing with this now...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you gotta use some force its a tight fit
What are we talking about in terms of force here... I'm getting as much of my body weight behind it as possible. I'm having a hard time believing that a stereo / HU should require brute force for re-installation. I've got to be doing something wrong??? this is a royal PITA :mad:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I quit for tonight... FML. I had a feeling that this was a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I had this problem when installing the GROM power cable. So many cables back there prevented the radio from going in all the way so i zip tide some cable together and moved them out of the way and was able to finally fit the radio back in.

The GROM power cable for us with factory NAV is a PITA too fit back there cause it comes with a big ass battery connected to it :\

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yep, Just make usre you have all the cables out of the way as best you can, and then push. It is force right on the edge of "I really think this is going to break" befoure it goes in. Just get the top as close and flush as you think you can, and it will slowly slide in.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Hide as many cables in the cubby to the left as possible, that's where I put my USA Spec Unit actually. I actually have my Bluetooth unit in the space to the lower right as you're looking at the radio. I removed the trim by the passenger seat to put it there and ran the wires down to it. There was no way that was fitting behind the radio. May God have mercy on you, that Bluetooth harness is a beast. You should have tried putting in the Bluepower though lol

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to tuck more of the cables away, even though that seems to be something I've tried already... I guess the consensus is that there isn't really a trick other than pushing hard. I really don't want to damage anything or end up doing this more than once.

I'd love feedback from others if you have any tricks/tips like ions & prienzo :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Push harder. I had the same thing happen in an 07 last year, just needed more elbow grease.
That moment when you are thinking PUSH HARDER and more ELBOW GREASE then you look and someone already stole your post :/ haha

I usually associate this with USGiorgi's mother!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would just give up and secure it with a big old piece of duct tape :)
Lol. I was wondering if I could just cut some of the cables to make it go back in better. I can't need ALL of them :p

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I was able on my lunch break to "finess" the HU back into the dash. No CEL's & Everything works! EXCEPT... the ground loop that I've been chasing for a year now is still there :mad: WTF!!!!???

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
So I was able on my lunch break to "finess" the HU back into the dash. No CEL's & Everything works! EXCEPT... the ground loop that I've been chasing for a year now is still there :mad: WTF!!!!???
Start jamming pennies in there.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Start jamming pennies in there.
I'm new to car electronics... so if this is a joke, I don't get it :confused:

And if it's an actual suggestion, I don't get it either :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts