SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back from a vacation at the Olympic coast of WA, driving probably around 600 miles total. Didn't have any problems with the XC90 the entire time. It was gorgeous and we saw some whales, seals, and a sea otter. :)

Two days after we got back I drove the XC90 a few blocks and heard a grinding noise when applying the brakes if going over ~30 MPH.

Drove back home, took off the wheels, thinking something was messed up with the brakes, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Put the wheels back on and drove again but still there's a grinding noise when braking. Seems it is not coming from the brakes themselves though. Doesn't sound like a brake noise. There was no strange shifting behavior, other than the grinding noise it seemed to handle just fine.

Back to the garage. Up on jack stands, all four wheels in the air.

With the car in park all 4 wheels can freely spin by hand. When I spin a rear wheel only that rear wheel spins. When I spin a front wheel the other front wheel spins the opposite direction. (Although that's normal it still feels wrong!) When I spin a front wheel I think I hear a noise coming from the transmission or angle gear area.

With the car on jack stands and in drive or reverse only the front wheels spin. Nothing from the back wheels. And the grinding noise instantly appears. With the car in drive and turned off I can spin the front wheels and the driveshaft will usually not turn but maybe 5% of the time it will turn slightly, like it is sometimes catching and sometimes not.

This all makes me think angle gear. How to tell if it's the angle gear, or collar sleeve? Just have to take it all apart and see which looks damaged? I'm thinking this is getting beyond the level of DIY repair I want to do, and may want to just take it to a mechanic. The biggest jobs I've done in the past were the suspension on all 4 wheels of my XC70, PCV on the XC70, and replacing the passenger side CV axle on the XC70. How does replacing the angle gear or collar sleeve compare? Assuming I take it to a mechanic does it sound like there's any danger of doing additional damage if I drive it as is, or would a tow be necessary? I guess the AWD is already dead, maybe there's a chance only the collar sleeve is bad and if I drive as is it would also kill the angle gear? Any concern with the transmission being damaged?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ugh, reading some other threads on this and it looks like there's way too much that needs coming off or out for me to tackle it myself.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?309585-2008-Sport-not-so-Sporty-now-(Angle-Gear-)

If I'm optimistic and it's only the collar sleeve, is there any way to tell without taking it all apart? And any way to replace the collar sleeve without taking it all apart? Sounds like it might be possible on the smaller 2.5T engines but not with the ridiculously tightly packed V8?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
With all 4 wheels in the air and the car in drive, is the prop shaft spinning?

The collar connects the trans to the angle gear. So no matter what engine, you have to remove the angle gear to replace the collar.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check when I get back and record a video but 95% sure the prop shaft is not spinning.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My 2005 XC90 2.5T AWD with 120K miles...

The sleeve has been gone for 2 years.
I drive it as a FWD vehicle + winter tires.

For me, the AWD system was bad engineering to start with, fixing it now does not warranty the problem does not recur!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah, driving it as FWD is an option I'm considering depending on the cost of fixing it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confirmed that with all 4 wheels in the air and the car in drive, the prop shaft does not spin. The transfer case just cries out in pain. :(

https://youtu.be/2sGPrZ66Tn0

·
Registered
533 Posts
Stupidest design indeed to change driveline direction twice. Another better idea from Ford? Thankfully I think ours is still OK.

I guess if you run it long enough maybe the noise will go away like when the teeth are totally stripped off. If changing to FWD is removing the coupling and driveshaft a good idea in that no codes will show up? Can the coupling be removed without oil leakage from one gearbox to the next?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Thankfully I think ours is still OK.
It's not. By now whatever grease that was put in at assembly in 2007 is long gone and the sleeve/spline interface looks like most of the photos that have been published, oxidation and moisture and a little decomposed grease. Can be grateful that the splines and sleeve still have some "bite", but that's about it. Can as well be grateful that you have a 3.2, not many reports of outright interface failure in this flavor of powertrain.

For anyone seriously suggesting to drive an AWD V8 as a "broke" FWD, I'll be interested in seeing how long that lasts. Gotta have a light touch on the throttle to keep the front tires from chattering with this engine in the wet (and in the PNW it's wet a lot). I didn't spend almost 4 grand to replace my angle gear because I had nothing better to do, I did it because it's a whole bunch of "no-fun" to drive the car like that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not. By now whatever grease that was put in at assembly in 2007 is long gone and the sleeve/spline interface looks like most of the photos that have been published, oxidation and moisture and a little decomposed grease. Can be grateful that the splines and sleeve still have some "bite", but that's about it. Can as well be grateful that you have a 3.2, not many reports of outright interface failure in this flavor of powertrain.

For anyone seriously suggesting to drive an AWD V8 as a "broke" FWD, I'll be interested in seeing how long that lasts. Gotta have a light touch on the throttle to keep the front tires from chattering with this engine in the wet (and in the PNW it's wet a lot). I didn't spend almost 4 grand to replace my angle gear because I had nothing better to do, I did it because it's a whole bunch of "no-fun" to drive the car like that.
Yah, that's my main concern with the FWD option -- too much power for just two wheels.

·
Registered
370 Posts
On a side note, can’t wait for the new Dune movie. Love your user name!

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Larry's Volvo in Seattle will be replacing the angle gear and collar sleeve. They'd found a used angle gear with only 40k miles but a new (reman?) from Volvo was only a couple hundred more. I've also asked him to replace the engine mounts while everything's all taken apart as it wouldn't add any labor cost. Maybe subframe bushings too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All fixed up :), but my wallet feels lighter :(.

Much less vibration with all the engine mounts replaced too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. Probably worth it in the long run if you love your car.

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With a big repair bill there's always the thought of, "Maybe I should sell this and get something else." But, financially, fixing what you have is usually a better deal when considering how much of a loss you'll take selling a car with issues and then buying something to replace it, possibly with other expensive issues lurking around the corner. Unless you buy new enough to still be under warranty, but then it's even more $ up front. Other than this expensive angle gear I've had pretty good luck with buying ~100k mile Volvos. :)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'm sure this is a great car otherwise and you now know the condition of your angle gear from this point forward. Wise re-investment in my opinion, these are really comfortable cars, I'm guessing this one is an Executive so makes it even nicer. You'll be due for a serp belt job in another 10-15k, no need to wait for 150k in my opinion. IM me closer to the time you want to do this, I have tools and hopefully I'll have done my seeping PS pump by then so will have had a refresher with taking the belt off.

No chance for any photos of the angle gear input splines, you get the sleeve back (makes a great paperweight)?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I did get the sleeve as a souvenir but did not get any phots of the angle gear. The mechanics reported the angle gear splines were ground away. Initially when they checked it there was still some oil in there, so it wasn't dry at least. But lots of metal in the oil.

I'll share some shots of the sleeve when I have time.

It is an executive edition. Only thing it's missing that would make it perfect for me is the Dynaudio setup.

https://imgur.com/a/daEbi

I'll hit you up when I want to tackle the serpentine belt. :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
With a big repair bill there's always the thought of, "Maybe I should sell this and get something else." But, financially, fixing what you have is usually a better deal when considering how much of a loss you'll take selling a car with issues and then buying something to replace it, possibly with other expensive issues lurking around the corner. Unless you buy new enough to still be under warranty, but then it's even more $ up front. Other than this expensive angle gear I've had pretty good luck with buying ~100k mile Volvos. :)
Truth. This is why I keep fixing mine despite the bad run I've had on the XC90.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Stupidest design indeed to change driveline direction twice. Another better idea from Ford?
The P2 chassis and driveline were designed before Ford acquired Volvo. Sven and Per take full responsibility for this design.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Repair: $2,000 payment. Insurance: $900 a year.
Replace: $3,000 down payment. $450/mo payment. Insurance: $1,400 a year

1 - 20 of 24 Posts