SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, <P>Well, I've ordered a new S40 to be picked up from Sweden in early April. I keep trying to convince myself that this was a good buy, but I can't get over how seemingly little I'm getting for my money. You see, my cousin bought a new Subaru WRX for around $23,500 (about how much I paid for the S40), and that car comes with so much more. It has front and side airbags, a 227 hp engine(!), All wheel drive, 16 inch wheels, sunroof, and 6-cd changer. I bought a base model S40, so I'm not getting much (no sunroof, no cd player). Did I get shafted? I know that I've got the side curtains which the WRX doesnt have, but there doesnt seem to be much other than that. Is there a comparatively better Volvo build quality that is worth this premium? Is the Volvo that much safer? After reading a review of the S40 in CAR magazine saying that it has a "rush job feel" and a "crummy chassis," that doesn't make me feel any better. Any thoughts!?<p>[This message has been edited by Geoff (edited 03-14-2001).]

·
Registered
339 Posts
i have a 2000 S40 that i am very happy with. i let my wife use it because we have a 9 month old baby. this car is extremely safe for its class (don't forget the WHIPS seats and crumple zones) and has a better warranty than the subaru. everybody has buyer's remorse, don't sweat it, you could look every day for a car and find something that appears better, but in the long run, you have a volvo, not a subaru. that will count more if your in an accident and when you sell it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Safety is something I don't usually think of when driving. I am a pretty decent and safe driver so that's why it never crosses my mind. But I do know how crazy people drive and with the S40 and knowing the history of Volvo and them being known for their safety I have to say I feel safe. Personally I would never second guess the purchase of a vehicle, but I know the situation you were in Geoff so I understand.<P>Overall I think the S40 is a very safe vehicle, the stock handling (my personal opinion) is very impressive. I've never driven a Subaru so I can't really compare, but I think once you get your S40 and find out how quick and "zippy" it is, you'll have a smile on your face...<P>Oh and about the pricing, well you are paying for the Volvo nameplate on your vehicle too remember!! <P><BR>Carlos<BR>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"<p>[This message has been edited by cs40racing (edited 03-14-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
The volvo is very safe. Even without WHIPS, the seats are better than seats found in subarus (maybe the WRX is exeptional). I doubt that the WRX has any real head restraint in the rear seat which is typical of all non-luxury japanese.<P>There are few instances where all wheel drive is better/safer than front wheel drive, and even fewer instances where 227 hp is better/safer than 160 hp.<P>If your commute is like mine, 35 miles each way in heavy traffic, then I would think that you will be happier in the volvo. At the end of the day, I am happy to have made it home safely. I give little thought to how much power I couldn't use while stuck behind a minivan in the passing lane next to a semi for 12 miles.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I don't think you have very much to worry about. The 40-series are the safest cars in their class bar none. Check out the test results that were done by NCAP, it was the only car in its class to get 4-stars.<P>Just as a side note, NHTSA just tested the Lexus IS300, and it didn't do very well.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey,<P>Just wanted to say that the 40's are pretty safe. I have in mine front, side and curtain airbags, a total of 8 bags to blowup if the misfortunate happens. Yours should too. Not to mention the WHIPS and 5 pretensioners for the seatbelts! Your'll like the car once you get it. <P>Turbo<P>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts