SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner of a Volvo. I'm hoping to learn from long-time volvo car owners about the reliability of the T5 engine and Volvo engines in general. Thank you in advance for your enlightenment.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I owned a 2012 S60 T5 that was reliable. I've read of some T5 motors consuming oil.I never had that issue with mine. The 3.0L T6 is suppose to be bullet proof. I think upkeep and maintenance is something very important with any motor.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
The 2012 T5 is entirely different than the new Drive E T5s. These are still relatively new so the book is still being written.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don’t know about Volvo, but speaking about engines....

Just this week, my Ford Escape’s engine failed at 67K miles. I did nothing wrong. New engine cost $6,000 to replace and my power train warranty expired at 60K miles. I’m screwed.

Lesson to be learned by Joeyboy for the future...... never own a vehicle that’s out of warranty.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the Volvo world, where we love our Swedish turbobricks, but sometimes down means up and up means down.

Volvo has a frustrating nomenclature for its powertains... up until 2014, "T5" or "2.5T" meant a turbocharged in-line 5 cylinder.
It was great - possibly the best engine Volvo has ever built. A good balance of power and fuel economy and this engine was Volvo's bread and butter for about 20 years.

Since 2014 MY2015 (I think?) they switched to a "Drive-E" engine system but tried to keep the "old" naming conventions (this was a mistake, IMO). What that means is that:

"T4" means a non-turbo 2.0L I-4 (about 187 HP)
"T5" now means a turbo 2.0L I-4 (about 250 HP)
"T6" means a supercharged and turbocharged 2.0L I-4 (about 316 HP)

"T8" is called a "twin-engine" PHEV but it really has three motors:
1) the "T6" engine in the front
2) a 46HP electric motor between the T6 and the trans-axle, and
3) a rear mounted 87 HP AC motor.

Volvo is also now making a "T3" engine for some overseas markets (e.g., UK). The "T3" is a 3 cylinder 1.5L

Answering your question about reliability, the "old" T5 / 2.5T was very reliable so long as it was properly maintained. The "new" T5 engine isn't old enough to assess it for reliability but my extended family has 5 or 6 of them so we'll know in the next few years.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Volvo is also now making a "T3" engine for some overseas markets (e.g., UK). The "T3" is a 3 cylinder 1.5L

Answering your question about reliability, the "old" T5 / 2.5T was very reliable so long as it was properly maintained. The "new" T5 engine isn't old enough to assess it for reliability but my extended family has 5 or 6 of them so we'll know in the next few years.

Aren't they also using the T3 for the upcoming "T5 twin engine"?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
To clarify slightly, after 2014 there were T5 and T6 engines that were five and six cylinders. The differences between the others were known as T5 Drive-e and T6 Drive-e until the new SPA and CMA platforms where everything was an inline 4 cylinder.

So in MY2014-2018, you had both T5 and T5 Drive-e and T6 and T6 Drive-e. On the vehicles, they all showed T5 or T6 and weren't easily differentiated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To clarify slightly, after 2014 there were T5 and T6 engines that were five and six cylinders. The differences between the others were known as T5 Drive-e and T6 Drive-e until the new SPA and CMA platforms where everything was an inline 4 cylinder.

So in MY2014-2018, you had both T5 and T5 Drive-e and T6 and T6 Drive-e. On the vehicles, they all showed T5 or T6 and weren't easily differentiated.
I wonder what the "5" stands for in the T5 petrol engine?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome to the Volvo world, where we love our Swedish turbobricks, but sometimes down means up and up means down.

Volvo has a frustrating nomenclature for its powertains... up until 2014, "T5" or "2.5T" meant a turbocharged in-line 5 cylinder.
It was great - possibly the best engine Volvo has ever built. A good balance of power and fuel economy and this engine was Volvo's bread and butter for about 20 years.

Since 2014 MY2015 (I think?) they switched to a "Drive-E" engine system but tried to keep the "old" naming conventions (this was a mistake, IMO). What that means is that:

"T5" now means a turbo 2.0L I-4 (about 250 HP)
"T6" means a supercharged and turbocharged 2.0L I-4 (about 316 HP)

"T8" is called a "twin-engine" PHEV but it really has three motors:
1) the "T6" engine in the front
2) a 46HP electric motor between the T6 and the trans-axle, and
3) a rear mounted 87 HP AC motor.

Pretty much all of this is wrong.

Every single Drive-E engine is turbocharged.

The full hybrid (PHEV) models only have a rear electric motor at the moment (ERAD).
The mild hybrid models, which are diesel only, have a front electric "booster" motor.

T3 is just a badge and can be a 3 or 4 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pretty much all of this is wrong.

Every single Drive-E engine is turbocharged.
Volvo's description of Drive-E says the Drive-E T5 and T6 are turbocharged: "It begins with a four-cylinder engine with a 2.0 liter displacement. Codenamed VEP4, it is part of a new Volvo Engine Architecture that was engineered from the ground up. The goal of this new family of engines is to balance efficiency and performance. To achieve this further, turbocharging is added for the first layer of added performance. These will become the new T5 engines."
Source:
https://www.volvocarsrichmond.com/drive-e-explained.htm

The full hybrid (PHEV) models only have a rear electric motor at the moment (ERAD).
The mild hybrid models, which are diesel only, have a front electric "booster" motor.
Here's Car and Driver's description of the T8:

"Distinctive in its use of both a supercharger and a turbocharger to force-feed the 313-hp 2.0-liter inline-four, the T8 Twin-Engine powertrain also employs a pair of electric motors—one powering the rear axle and another integral with the eight-speed automatic transaxle. (This T8 configuration also is offered in the larger XC90 crossover and the S90 sedan, and the new V60 will get it, too.)"
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18927882/2018-volvo-xc60-t8-eawd-plug-in-hybrid-test-review/

T3 is just a badge and can be a 3 or 4 cylinder engine.
Volvo characterizes the T3 as its first three-cylinder engine:
"The new powertrains are led by the debut of the much-anticipated T3 petrol, Volvo's first ever three-cylinder engine."
https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/...ades-to-volvos-xc40-compact-premium-suv-range

·
Registered
300 Posts
All VEA engines are turbocharged.

The new T4 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder develops 187bhp and starts from £35,055
Taken from: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/s90/101764/volvo-s90-gets-new-entry-level-petrol-engine

Stating that all engines are turbocharged does not indicate that they are only turbocharged.

Here's Car and Driver's description of the T8:

"Distinctive in its use of both a supercharger and a turbocharger to force-feed the 313-hp 2.0-liter inline-four, the T8 Twin-Engine powertrain also employs a pair of electric motors—one powering the rear axle and another integral with the eight-speed automatic transaxle. (This T8 configuration also is offered in the larger XC90 crossover and the S90 sedan, and the new V60 will get it, too.)"
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18927882/2018-volvo-xc60-t8-eawd-plug-in-hybrid-test-review/
Author does not differentiate properly. The CISG does not work as the rear propulsion motor does. It's a more complicated starter motor. Volvo call it Twin Engine for a reason, not Triple Engine.

Volvo characterizes the T3 as its first three-cylinder engine:
"The new powertrains are led by the debut of the much-anticipated T3 petrol, Volvo's first ever three-cylinder engine."
https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/...ades-to-volvos-xc40-compact-premium-suv-range
T3 is just a badge. Volvo badged a version of their first three-cylinder engine as T3.
In 2016 Volvo badged a four-cylinder engine as T3: T3 (B4154T4) - In-line 4-cyl. turbocharged
Tech specs here: https://www.media.volvocars.com/glo...-s60-model-year-2017-technical-specifications

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Volvo is making the engine designations way more confusing than it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not really. The number is just a representation of how powerful the engine is (this changed from representing cylinders in 2010). See the chart at this link.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volvo_engines
I'll place the relevant text here:

"In 2010 Volvo changed their engine branding nomenclature so that it is independent of engine size and number of cylinders. "
T8 325
T6 275
T5 225
T4 175
T3 150
T2 125
T1 100

I find this to be confusing and silly because it creates the exact problem that started this thread: "Is the T5 engine reliable?" Answer: that depends on what you mean by T5 because a 2010 T5 has almost nothing in common with a 2015 T5 other than the exact same badge.

If "T6" means nothing more than an approximation of the number of metric HP, then just abandon the "T-X" designations altogether and call it a "225" rather than a single-digit number that used to represent the actual engine cylinders. But maybe it's only annoying to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
T1-T8 isn’t really the engine’s name. The model number for an XC40 T5 is B4204T. I wouldn’t expect a new member would know there’s a difference between how it’s branded vs technical name.

I think the naming is quite simple and logical, much like the naming used for vehicles.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'll be blunt.

The naming was for monopolistic marketing purposes only. It wasn't for consumers' benefit.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If "T6" means nothing more than an approximation of the number of metric HP, then just abandon the "T-X" designations altogether and call it a "225" rather than a single-digit number that used to represent the actual engine cylinders. But maybe it's only annoying to me. :rolleyes:
That is NOT going to happen.

At any rate, with the advent of the Drive-E engines, the number (after the T) illustrates the amount of power flowing through the drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts