SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how rare the car I just picked up is or hey maybe it's not so rare. I've had 4-5 volvos mostly 740, 850 and V70, V70XC

So this is a 1998 T5 wagon in Red with the 5spd manual transmission. Auto check confirms it's a T5 they don't break it down so far to see if the 5spd is stock or if it was put in after and I can't find anything that makes me think it's an after the factory job.

Is it rare? is it worth anything? It's in rough shape no rust and the engine / Tranny seem solid 170K on the clock that checks out. If people want I can post pics.

Thanks in advance

Matt

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?/topic/87530-1998-v70-t5m-production-numbers/

1 of 127 from the factory in US. IF it's stock and not post factory swapped. But here's the thing, in that condition with that mileage your car will probably be worth $5k MAX if you restore it to Stage 0. More like $3k-4K.

There is a shrinking crowd of interest in the P80 T5M wagon now that P2 R's are lower in price. It will likely never inspire the same level of excitement that the P1800 drives in the Volvo world.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Each to his own opinion and it's far less than 127 made for the US

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I spent some time under it today and it's a factory 5spd no doubt about that, needs a new boost controller, and the ball joints are shot I'll get those replaced tomorrow. It's got some interior issues like the back hatch won't open so I've got some work for the next couple of weeks. It's kinda of interesting I've always wanted a 5spd turbo wagon so I'm going to just get it back onto the road and see how it goes.

Why do you say less than 127 ? the only hard number I found was the S70 T5 manuals at 361?

Anyone want to guess what I paid for such a fine chariot ?

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
Moderately rare car. Interestingly enough there are/were three v70 t5 manual wagons in red on craigslist/ebay in the past two weeks. It might be worth a little more than the average value for the p80 platform to an enthusiast. What its really worth is a lot of smiles and enjoyment driving it. Put iPd sway bard and end links in it and youll have one of the best handling volvos of all time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The thing is, it's worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it and chances are nobody is willing to pay any more for it than any other wagon. These cars are worth piddle to most people. I sort of like it that way. To me however, my wagon is priceless and I'm happy to have paid too much for it because now, it's mine.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Each to his own opinion and it's far less than 127 made for the US
Jim, the day someone legitimately pays $20k - and you can verify payment - for a stock 1998 V70 T5M I will hand over a crisp one hundred dollar bill to you. It's just not going to happen.

For others wondering, this is why I set my price: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/volvo

Hell, I'll be happy if a saffron C70 T5M is ever worth $15k on the market.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I sold my 99 (even rarer) for over 10K a few years ago.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It is fun when nice cars get this cheap! No new cars for me at these prices :)

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
Bluebook on your car is $1500 to $2300. Obviously being a manual makes it somewhat more desirable to the enthusiast. So, rare? Yes. Valuable? Not really in an everyday sense. To the right person? Yes. Lucky for you, its yours. Drive it and love it, its a sweet ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the orignal sticker from the previous original owner:

39K and change. Factory 5 speed. What is it worth today? Maybe 5 to 6k max with a lot of go fast parts in extremely good condition to a volvo fan?
Does anybody really care about volvo wagons? Just a few, but that's what makes it part of the fun. A nice looking, quick, wagon. You just don't see that many p80's around where I live.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Both places on that sticker say that wagon is a '99. Plus it's green? You should like, sell it to me. I bet you get a lot of use from that cold weather package in Las Vegas too. Oh, and if it's in really good shape, I'd be looking at ~$3.5k asking price, you only have STC as an option which doesn't do that much in a manual (in my experience anyway). You should post pics too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Both places on that sticker say that wagon is a '99. Plus it's green? You should like, sell it to me. I bet you get a lot of use from that cold weather package in Las Vegas too. Oh, and if it's in really good shape, I'd be looking at ~$3.5k asking price, you only have STC as an option which doesn't do that much in a manual (in my experience anyway). You should post pics too.
This is what I put on the "what I did to my car today thread" It didn't look exactly like this when i bought it...

Bought a civic few months before I found this wagon. The civic was new and of course got good mileage but had no soul and I hated to drive it, so I sold it and made this my daily. This has 95k miles now. Valve on cylinder #4 broke, so I have a prius for my work machine. Yeah the STC doesn't do much and the heated seats don't get used. New parts on the way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh, that was yours? It looks good.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Yep, I'm the guy who bought it, and still enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes and that was a fair price for it. Still half what I mentioned. ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Last time I looked at the value of mine on one of the online valuation calculators, it came up with a trade-in price of about $650.

It's worth more than $650 to me, just for the wear and tear it spares my other car!

Tho the last time I brought it to my indy, who has worked on the car for a dozen years, he seemed very apologetic about a $160 repair cost and asked me if it was okay to go ahead with it. I'm beginning to wonder about the kind of impression that I leave by driving an 18 year old Volvo.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Who cares what other people think?
If you like it, that's what really matters.
These are solid, dependable cars that will take
good care of you, as long as you return the favor.

I'd much rather own my '98 and spend a little every
year to keep it in good shape than buy a newer, overly
complicated car with more high tech stuff to break.

But that's just me - Your mileage may vary... ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice...I also have had some apologetic conversations at the mechanics. I think they feel bad for me in my 2002 Volvo! I like it, I just them feel bad :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't, otherwise I wouldn't still be driving it!

I'm just amazed that even the Volvo guys don't seem to "get it" now. I proudly display my 200K High Mileage badge on the rear hatch, and have a VCOA sticker.

A few years of Volvo pushing SUVs on 3-year leases and this is what it's come to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts