SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the UK and saw a 2.5 D (not the D5, as this model came out later) and it was sooooo noisy. I hear that the D5 is supposed to be a new engine, much better and quieter than the older 2.5 D. Any opinions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: How quiet is the S80 D5 ? (oliver2015)

I have an S60 D5, same engine as the S80 D5. As I said in a post over on the S60 forum...

Nope, not noisy at all really. I've had to head for work in the early hours and the "rattle" from cold is no worse than the hydraulic tappets on my old Audi before the oil pressure got up.

Only at idle can people I've taken out identify it as being a Diesel. I also get around 48mpg (or 5.7 litres/100 kilometres I think) on average.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: How quiet is the S80 D5 ? (Jeremy Curtis)

I've also got the D5 in an S80, brand new 2003. It is a super engine, lots of power, and quiet except as was mentioned when idling. Then you can tell it is a diesel, but it is still not intrusively loud. I also had the ECU upgrade done to my D5, upped the HP from 163 to approximately 190. And I can really tell the difference in torque! It is an engine that is comparable to the T5 IMHO. You can see my post on the D5 formum, and follow the url their to see the pictures of the HEICO upgrade being done at their facility in Darmstadt, Germany. I do think the car is a little louder with the dual sport exhaust, but I like to hear the low rumble it makes anyway, knowing that I've got all the power I need at any time. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif
Best, Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts