SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Detroit for the unveiling but the real question is how long until it hits the dealers??? I'm hoping 2nd quarter 2016. And I'm also hoping for the R-design to be available right away, not a 6-month lag like we've seen with the XC90.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It maybe depends on the factory schedule. I guess the design should be pretty much ready. Once body mold is ready it should be ready to start. But the factory is fully loaded with XC90 and T8 work now.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sure hope the S90 launch goes better than the 2016 XC90. Have you guys been over in the XC90 forum, yikes!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Double yikes on launch, I wonder if they plan on doing a First Edition model again for the s90... They either learned a lesson on how to have it launch more smoothly or learned enough to not even try it again.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like Detroit for the unveiling but the real question is how long until it hits the dealers??? I'm hoping 2nd quarter 2016. And I'm also hoping for the R-design to be available right away, not a 6-month lag like we've seen with the XC90.
If I recall correctly, the XC90 debuted in August 2015 and official images of the R-design showed up a month later in September. However, the first XC90 was delivered (to the US) ~ May 2015 yet we still do not have any R-design deliveries.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I speculate the FEs were only for the first vehicle of the new architecture, part of the inauguration.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Double yikes on launch, I wonder if they plan on doing a First Edition model again for the s90... They either learned a lesson on how to have it launch more smoothly or learned enough to not even try it again.
Every time I venture over to the 2016 XC90 forum there is a new quality issue: buggy software, leaking sunroofs, stuck shifters...wow. Hopefully by addressing these bugs the S90 launch will go more smoothly!?! We purchased an 08 V70 (back in 08), it was the first model year for an all-new vehicle (although the very similar S70 launched in 2007). That car was absolutely perfect, not one problem. In fact, the build quality and overall reliability was better than our current 2012 XC70 T6. Maybe Ford is better at rolling out all new vehicles than Geely?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Every time I venture over to the 2016 XC90 forum there is a new quality issue: buggy software, leaking sunroofs, stuck shifters...wow. Hopefully by addressing these bugs the S90 launch will go more smoothly!?! We purchased an 08 V70 (back in 08), it was the first model year for an all-new vehicle (although the very similar S70 launched in 2007). That car was absolutely perfect, not one problem. In fact, the build quality and overall reliability was better than our current 2012 XC70 T6. Maybe Ford is better at rolling out all new vehicles than Geely?
I don't think Geely had any decision in the xd90 launch, assume it was pure Volvo. Geely just wants a car company it can coerce to build factories in China.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
fwiw my 2016 xc90 is essentially flawless. The buggy software really can't be held to the 2008 release standards since its unlike anything that was on cars back then. And a lot of the issues seem extremely isolated. BUT I am starting to worry since they're stacking up. We'll see how it pans out.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
fwiw my 2016 xc90 is essentially flawless. The buggy software really can't be held to the 2008 release standards since its unlike anything that was on cars back then. And a lot of the issues seem extremely isolated. BUT I am starting to worry since they're stacking up. We'll see how it pans out.
Like the 08 release had nothing newer offered on it than the 2000 MY car?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
no, I just mean that with the level of software in the xc90, bugs are to be expected, much like with a smartphone, computer, etc. It is whole different category than the software that was included in either 2000 or 2008. Not defending the bugs in any way just saying that software bugs do not mean the launch was a fail. If the other stuff adds up, and if the software fails to be updated expeditiously, then we have a problem.

My point is that I have a 2016 xc90 which I consider to be "absolutely perfect" just like dcpatties 08, and I'm certain there were 2008 V70s that had issues as well.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Owners have posted significant complaints about mostly electronic bugs in the new XC90. I don't know how common such bugs are, or how the XC90 compares to other cars in that respect, but ANY bug is a problem, particularly if it spreads to the safety systems on which the XC90 relies. Perhaps Volvo should get the existing XC90 right before wheeling out more self-driving versions where the first sign of a bug may be a deadly road accident.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It looks like Detroit for the unveiling but the real question is how long until it hits the dealers???
Was at the Göteborg Factory Delivery Center (OSD) at the start and end of October 2015 and the factory tour was cut short due to confidentiality - we didn't get to go through the actual vehicle manufacturing area likely due to assembly of vehicles that had not been publicly shown. My guess would be the S90 ...

·
Registered
819 Posts
Was at the Göteborg Factory Delivery Center (OSD) at the start and end of October 2015 and the factory tour was cut short due to confidentiality - we didn't get to go through the actual vehicle manufacturing area likely due to assembly of vehicles that had not been publicly shown. My guess would be the S90 ...
Probably pre-production test vehicles. I shall ask my brother, he works there.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I sure hope the S90 launch goes better than the 2016 XC90. Have you guys been over in the XC90 forum, yikes!
The 2016 XC90 launch has gone relatively smoothly from where I stand. I was around for the 2003 XC90 launch and this launch has gone much better. I did buy a 2004 XC90 and happily drove it for almost 10 years. A friend who purchased a 2016 XC90 has been very happy. I do see some T6 part swap-outs and T8 certification delays - mostly due to higher manufacturer scrutiny by the government since the Volkswagen cheating fiasco.

You only hear the complaints on a forum. Rarely does someone post that everything is working as expected. You need to take that into account.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The 2016 XC90 launch has gone relatively smoothly from where I stand. I was around for the 2003 XC90 launch and this launch has gone much better. I did buy a 2004 XC90 and happily drove it for almost 10 years. A friend who purchased a 2016 XC90 has been very happy. I do see some T6 part swap-outs and T8 certification delays - mostly due to higher manufacturer scrutiny by the government since the Volkswagen cheating fiasco.

You only hear the complaints on a forum. Rarely does someone post that everything is working as expected. You need to take that into account.
Not so! Quite a few posters have praised their new XC90s and some have no problems. Volvo need not fear scrutiny. What they should fear is indifference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts