SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

How often do you drive in Eco?

7K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  justacopilot 
#1 ·
How often do you use Eco mode?

I only use it during city type driving or if I'm cruising on the highway. Is the S/S function hard on the car? There are times when I'm in traffic and it'll shut down only for me to move forward nearly immediately and it starts again.

#2 · (Edited)
I drive in Eco most of the time as with my D4 diesel it still seems to kick down really well to overtake in this mode too. I'm no mechanic so not sure how much of the 400Nm of torque is still available if on the odd occasion I have to kickdown in ECO mode but it still seems to allow sufficient turbo boost for easy rapid overtaking.

#5 ·
Never. I did once and the windows started fogging up from the effect on the climate control. Never again.

#6 ·
yeah.. I experienced that too. Very weird.

I'm not noticing any significant savings, but when I am at long stops due to lights or traffic I kinda feel better that the engine shuts down so I'm not just idling and polluting.

#7 ·
Start/Stop can be turned on for any mode. I prefer Polestar mode (the latest software update renamed Dynamic mode in my Polestar optimized RD), but revert to Comfort and start/stop on in stop and go traffic.

#8 ·
I’ve tried Eco mode a couple of times and only made it a couple miles.i wasn’t a fan of the reduced throttle response.

#10 ·
My 2019 XC40 T5 P* runs quieter and smoother in ECO mode. Not Trolling. I use Comfort and ECO and I swear it is quieter and smoother feeling, especially under my feet, in ECO mode. My experience is the mileage is the same for me using either mode. My S/S stops the engine when I stop in ECO mode the first time, then it starts after about 3 seconds, even though I am still stopped, and then disables itself for the rest of the time I am in ECO mode (engine doesn't stop anymore). I'm sure that I have messed up some setting, so I haven't taken it in to have looked at.

#13 · (Edited)
Removed post as I think I was responding to the inverse scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#12 ·
I tried eco mode on my R Design but the car feels like it’s lugging or trying to find a gear so I rarely use it unless I’m going to have to wait for a long time.

The throttle response when I need to accelerate is just too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Yeah no.... I wish Volvo had kept the old quick hop into Dynamic mode with the shifter like the older ones did as sometime I just want to use it to merge on the highway and then go back to comfort. I never use Eco mode and the difference seems marginal at best.

#18 ·
Basically all the time. I put it into eco almost every time I start the car. I'd say the fuel economy difference for me is about 6mpg so it's significant. Further, pilot assist behaves MUCH better in stop and go traffic in Eco. It drives more like a person would, it waits longer to brake and does so more gently. When it restarts it doesn't try to close the gap in a big rush so the next wave of braking isn't dramatic.

It's pretty much ideal given the limits of the sensors. Side note, trying PA in traffic in dynamic is a good way to turn your hair white. That 1 second delay on the sensor reacting is WAY too long when dynamic is racing to catch a car in stop and go

Also, in Eco if you really hammer the gas the car will respond fairly well so it's ok for passing or emergency. In normal driving it takes some time to get used to how squishy the acceleration is but you do and over time it kinda encourages you to take a more relaxed attitude toward driving.

I sincerely doubt it damages the car as it's one of the three main drive modes. It's also the only way to get even close to the rated MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.