SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Labor for installation of both spring seats, sway bar links, both ball joints, and alignment.

I would do most of these things myself but I just dont have the space or tools to do tackle these issues right now. I priced the parts on IPD for around $240, but before I call around local indie shops and ask for installation/labor costs I want to know what to expect. What is the absolute max you would pay for labor on these parts?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Labor for installation of both spring seats, sway bar links, both ball joints, and alignment.

I would do most of these things myself but I just dont have the space or tools to do tackle these issues right now. I priced the parts on IPD for around $240, but before I call around local indie shops and ask for installation/labor costs I want to know what to expect. What is the absolute max you would pay for labor on these parts?
2.5 hours at whatever rate.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Spring seats 1.5 hours, Sway bar links no additional labor, Ball joints one hour, Alignment one hour. Labor rate greatly varies depending on what part of the country your in.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ipd heavy duty spring seats or xc90 spring seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in other words $500 for labor alone is too much?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Spring seat generally 1.5hrs each
Ball Joints 1.0 hr each
Sway bar end links .5 each
Alignment are usually menu priced from $100-150
$500 would be about what I would expect in VA, especially if you are closer to DC

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Then you and him are both getting raped. They shouldn't charge you extra for the sway links. And 150 for an alingment is nuts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah I suppose so. Never had work done at a dealer. I think the labor rate at mine is 90

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My indy would probably be around $350-400 with 4 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Then you and him are both getting raped. They shouldn't charge you extra for the sway links. And 150 for an alingment is nuts
He might get them to credit a little overlap on the link rods. There are a lot of shops that will not install customer supplied parts and cover their labor warranty so you have to think about that. Shops stay running by selling parts and labor, not just labor. I like how you believe $150 for an alignment is expensive. My alignment machine was $40,000. $150 vs $40,000, I think its a fair deal.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Not relevant how much you paid for the machine. Anyway most shops with monkeys doing the work like Firestone or Goodyear whatever charge less than 100. I would never bring my car to any of those places for an alingment. I go to a place near me who specializes in Saabs. He charges 100. And he's a very good master tech. And he'll race prep cars and dial in the camber on my adjustable camber plates on my s60r. So 150 is a lot to me to probably have some monkey at a dealership do an alingment for 20 min.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Not relevant how much you paid for the machine. Anyway most shops with monkeys doing the work like Firestone or Goodyear whatever charge less than 100. I would never bring my car to any of those places for an alingment. I go to a place near me who specializes in Saabs. He charges 100. And he's a very good master tech. And he'll race prep cars and dial in the camber on my adjustable camber plates on my s60r. So 150 is a lot to me to probably have some monkey at a dealership do an alingment for 20 min.
I was only offering the OP what typical labor times and alignment prices are. And that is what they really are, especially in VA near DC, it's one of the most expensive areas in the Country to live, I know I used to live in the Richest County in America, Loudoun County VA. That's great you get an Alignment in CT for $100 by a Saab Master Tech :confused:. Not a bad deal.
Using a Racist term to describe automotive workers shows where your level of intelligence is at. I might suggest you keep your racial hate to yourself.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A lot of people are unaware that monkey is also a racist term.

Loudoun County is nuts. I'm from the paradise next door in Jefferson County, WV. Teachers from my county rationalize 2hr+ commutes one way to work in Loudoun county because the pay is so much higher and the cost of living is crazy lower.

Out here I got a 4 wheel alignment for about $60, so those things can be pretty dependent on the area.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Like grease monkey you retard...it shows your level of intelligence by being offended by that.
You would have to be kind of a vagina to be offended by that too. Everyone is such a freakin liberal pussssy now a days. Unbelievable.

Do you not watch the Oscars now too and don't like the snow? People don't even know what it means to be racist anymore cuz people are so fuuucking stupid now a days and don't even know how to use the term. White people are racist today for just being white. People like you saying you get offended cuz I said monkey is what makes this country so shiity today.

·
3,899 Posts
There is no a alignment should be 150 for a one an done.

Dealer = 1hr = 120$
Firestone = 80$
Firestone unlimited = 180$

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I paid $150 for lifetime alignments at Firestone. They dial it in great every time. It is not nuts it is smart money. $69.99 for a one time alignment is nuts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts